Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2015, 06:40 AM

1,906 posts, read 1,620,251 times

Advertisements

Mornin' all!

You know what they say: time flies when you throw a clock across the room.
You're funny bjh!

But you can take your time with . . .

Today's Unhurried Questions:
The US $10 bill is going to be re-designed with a woman's portrait on it by about 2020.
Whoever is selected, she cannot be a living person. With that in mind, who would you like to see on the $10 bill?
---> https://thenew10.treasury.gov/faqs
---> https://thenew10.treasury.gov/share-your-ideas
I don't really care. I don't pay that much attention very often. Occasionally I like to examine printed items, but mostly with the eye of a former printer myself.

Last time anyone was removed from a US bill was the 1920s. How much will you miss Alexander Hamilton on the ten?
I might miss the "old days" of having him there, but I don't have any particular opinion on him, specifically, being on the $10.

They will be redesigning the $20 in the future. Now that, as part Cherokee (one of the only things my estranged father ever discussed with me), I have an interest in, and have cast my ballot for, although my chosen candidate did not make this poll's cut.
http://indiancountrytodaymedianetwork.com/2015/04/13/dump-jackson-20-replace-him-mankiller-159970

What tips do you have for coping with hot weather?
Stay inside with air conditioning.

How did you spend last Sunday?
Church, grocery store, little one-off tasks around the house, then an evening of TV.

Something you own that has a magnet.
6-piece extension screwdriver with telescoping magnet. One of the most nifty, useful gadgets I own!

The last thing you wrote on paper?
Grocery list.

If a book was interesting, but 400 pages long, would that put you off reading it?
It would honestly depend on the subject. I read the abridged version of Stephen King's The Stand, and was bored out of my skull! 844 pages, and for 842 of them, they're stuck in a cornfield in Nebraska, for cryin' out loud! Read the unabridged version of Robert A. Heinlein's Stranger in a Strange Land, and was equally bored out of my skull. I'm hoping to get much more out of Neal Stephenson's Baroque Cycle, as it is more historical.

Foodie Questions:
What flavor Slurpee would you like?
Lime! Lime, lime, lime, lime lime!

Have you enjoyed watermelon yet this year?
Don't think I have yet, but I'm sure it's not too far around the corner for me.

If you had to grab something last minute to bring to a potluck this Thursday, food or supplies, what would you bring?
Mmmm...my lentil pate, and some good crackers!

Today in History:
1928 Peyo, illustrator who created The Smurfs, born in Brussels, Belgium
1948 The Berlin airlift, officially called "Operation Vittles," began and lasted almost a year until May 1949
-----> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Berlin_Blockade
1976 Songwriter and Capitol Records founder Johnny Mercer, died aged 66. He wrote the lyrics for "I'm an Old Cowhand from the Rio Grande", "Hooray for Hollywood", "Jeepers, Creepers!", "You Must Have Been a Beautiful Baby", "Fools Rush In", "Ac-Cent-Tchu-Ate the Positive", "Moon River", and many others.
1981 Microsoft incorporated in Washington state

Today's Quote:
"Somebody said to me, 'But the Beatles were anti-materialistic.'
That's a huge myth. John and I literally used to sit down and say,
'Now, let's write a swimming pool.'"
~ Paul McCartney, British songwriter

Today’s (Slightly Censored) Word:
cockamamie [KOK-uh-mey-mee] adjective
ridiculous, pointless, or nonsensical, ex. a cockamamie idea
Origin: Americanism, at least from 1920s, from paper strip decal with an image which could be transferred to the skin when moistened,
apparently alteration of decalcomania; sense “ridiculous” probably by association with ****-and-bull story, poppycock, etc.

Today Includes:
Bomb Pop Day
Catfish Day
Color TV Day
Day of The Seafarer
Global Beatles Day
Strawberry Parfait Day

This Week Includes:
Watermelon Seed Spitting Week
Lightning Safety Awareness Week
Mosquito Control Awareness Week

Today's Nostalgia Picture:
1927, Travel photographer visiting Washington D.C.
This has been one of my favorites for a long time, especially the expression on the dog at the far right.
I always wonder about the names of the animals in photos!

Wishing you a tail-wagging-good Thursday!

Same to you bjh. Thanx for the Qs.
Have a good one everyone!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2015, 06:48 AM

7,413 posts, read 5,523,246 times
You know what they say: time flies when you throw a clock across the room. The 25th is the last Thursday of June 2015, almost halfway to 2016!

Today's Unhurried Questions: The US $10 bill is going to be re-designed with a woman's portrait on it by about 2020.
Whoever is selected, she cannot be a living person. With that in mind, who would you like to see on the $10 bill? Betsy Ross

Last time anyone was removed from a
US bill was the 1920s. How much will you miss Alexander Hamilton on the ten? I won't

What tips do you have for coping with hot weather? Air conditioning

How did you spend last Sunday? we were at our camping place. Not sure what we'll do this weekend, our camping place got hit by a tornado Monday night.

Something you own that has a magnet. those crafty magnet things that hold up my calendar on my refrigerator.

The last thing you wrote on paper? a reminder note to myself

If a book was interesting, but 400 pages long, would that put you off reading it? no, I am reading a book right now that is 472 pages long.

Foodie Questions:
What flavor Slurpee would you like? Raspberry

Have you enjoyed watermelon yet this year? yes

If you had to grab something last minute to bring to a potluck this Thursday, food or supplies, what would you bring? I would probably make some type of pasta casserole. Bring my own drinks and maybe my own chairs, plates, knapkins, and silverware.

Old 06-25-2015, 06:52 AM

4,711 posts, read 3,292,699 times
The US $10 bill is going to be re-designed with a woman's portrait on it by about 2020.
Whoever is selected, she cannot be a living person. With that in mind, who would you like to see on the $10 bill? It really makes no difference to me but Helen Keller would be my pick.

Last time anyone was removed from a US bill was the 1920s. How much will you miss Alexander Hamilton on the ten? As long as the new bills spend I won't miss him.

What tips do you have for coping with hot weather? I drink lots of ice water and wear light colored clothing.

How did you spend last Sunday? I spent it with my wonderful nephews and their families.

Something you own that has a magnet A cute mail box cover. Those are held in place with magnets.

The last thing you wrote on paper? A grocery list.

If a book was interesting, but 400 pages long, would that put you off reading it? No, if a book is a good one I like for it to be a long one.

Foodie Questions:
What flavor Slurpee would you like? I've not had one for years but cherry sounds good.

Have you enjoyed watermelon yet this year? We eat watermelon at most of our meals. YUM!!!

If you had to grab something last minute to bring to a potluck this Thursday, food or supplies, what would you bring? Probably a lettuce cauliflower salad. Most everyone I know loves this stuff.

Today in History:
1948 The Berlin airlift, officially called "Operation Vittles," began and lasted almost a year until May 1949
1976 Songwriter and Capitol Records founder Johnny Mercer, died aged 66. He wrote the lyrics for "I'm an Old Cowhand from the Rio Grande", "Hooray for Hollywood", "Jeepers, Creepers!", "You Must Have Been a Beautiful Baby", "Fools Rush In", "Ac-Cent-Tchu-Ate the Positive", "Moon River", and many others.

Today's Quote:

Origin: Americanism, at least from 1920s, from paper strip decal with an image which could be transferred to the skin when moistened,
apparently alteration of decalcomania; sense “ridiculous” probably by association with ****-and-bull story, poppycock, etc.

Today Includes:
Bomb Pop Day
Catfish Day Spicey grilled one of my favorites.
Color TV Day
Day of The Seafarer
Global Beatles Day
Strawberry Parfait Day

This Week Includes:
Mosquito Control Awareness Week Don't I wish!!! I always get bit.

This has been one of my favorites for a long time, especially the expression on the dog at the far right.

Library of Congress photo, in the public domain.

Old 06-25-2015, 07:33 AM

54,505 posts, read 33,936,465 times
You know what they say: time flies when you throw a clock across the room. The 25th is the last Thursday of June 2015, almost halfway to 2016!

Whoever is selected, she cannot be a living person. With that in mind, who would you like to see on the $10 bill? - Somebody who doesn't waste time and tax-payer Dollars to "re-design" the $10 currency note.. and focus on more important things..

US bill was the 1920s. How much will you miss Alexander Hamilton on the ten? -

What tips do you have for coping with hot weather? - Go outside and get a sun tan... - Don't think about it, don't keep watching the weather forecast, and think about what benefits you can get out of the "hot" weather.. and drink plenty of water..

How did you spend last Sunday? - Church, grocery-shopping, and Father's Day family get-together..

Something you own that has a magnet. - My personality? - 5.1 Surround system speakers, and other smaller speakers around the house..

The last thing you wrote on paper? - My signature?

If a book was interesting, but 400 pages long, would that put you off reading it? - Not sure.. but I have read the Bible's Old and New Testaments...

Foodie Questions:
What flavor Slurpee would you like? - I haven't had one of those since I was in my mid teens.. so I couldn't tell ya..

Have you enjoyed watermelon yet this year? - Yep..

If you had to grab something last minute to bring to a potluck this Thursday, food or supplies, what would you bring? - Potluck? Is that something that has that funny weed in it?

Hmm.. The last time I tried to "Wag" my tail in public, somebody called the police to report suspicious activity... They showed up and they put a collar on me and a leash... But at least they gave me a treat...

Thanks for the questions BJH, everyone have a Cool Thursday..

Old 06-25-2015, 07:56 AM

Location: NYC based - Used to Live in Philly - Transplant from Miami
2,307 posts, read 2,778,887 times
Whoever is selected, she cannot be a living person. With that in mind, who would you like to see on the $10 bill?

US bill was the 1920s. How much will you miss Alexander Hamilton on the ten?
I don't know how to answer that question. Sometimes changes are good.

When it gets too hot I remind myself to be grateful. I try to remind myself that winter is horrible, cold and dark. Days are shorter and shoveling snow sucks.

Washing my working clothes. And binge-watching Sense8 in netflix. Season2 cannot come soon enough!

Magnets! Lots of them! Z

My journal - a part of my therapy to combat my anxiety and OCD. Aside of CBT and whatnot ofc.

If a book was interesting, but 400 pages long, would that put you off reading it?
No, it wont. I would not be able to put me down. I am a sucker for teen fiction a la Divergent trilogy, Maze Runner trilogy,the Legend trilogy etc.

Foodie Questions:
MANGO! Without question.

No not yet.

If you had to grab something last minute to bring to a potluck this Thursday, food or supplies, what would you bring?
Chips and dips. That's my specialty for every pot luck because well I do not cook.
But I usually make it the best chip and dips combo out there.

Today in History:

Today's Quote:

Today Includes:
Bomb Pop Day
Catfish Day
Color TV Day
Day of The Seafarer
Global Beatles Day
Strawberry Parfait Day

This Week Includes:

Wishing you a tail-wagging-good Thursday! [/quote]

Old 06-25-2015, 07:57 AM

4,045 posts, read 1,875,245 times
Whoever is selected, she cannot be a living person. With that in mind, who would you like to see on the $10 bill? Eleanor Roosevelt is the first person who comes to mind, but I'll have to think about it.

US bill was the 1920s. How much will you miss Alexander Hamilton on the ten? It will seem strange, won't it?

What tips do you have for coping with hot weather? My solution is always to go to the lake.

How did you spend last Sunday? Painted at the apartment my daughter is moving to. We still own the old farmhouse we grew up in. My brother and his wife live in half the house and my daughter & kids will have the other half. It needs a lot of work before they can move in though.

Something you own that has a magnet. I made some fridge magnets by hot gluing shells, sand dollars, etc onto small magnets.

The last thing you wrote on paper? We, our school staff, met with the two finalists for the principal position. Admin asked us to write our thoughts about each candidate. It will be the school board's final decision. There was one I definitely liked above the other, so we shall see.

If a book was interesting, but 400 pages long, would that put you off reading it? Not at all.

Foodie Questions:
What flavor Slurpee would you like? Someone else can have mine....

Have you enjoyed watermelon yet this year? Haven't

If you had to grab something last minute to bring to a potluck this Thursday, food or supplies, what would you bring? Last minute..... Probably just go to the deli and see what looks good. Or maybe I'll just grab a bottle of wine.

Today's Quote:

ridiculous, pointless, or nonsensical, ex. a cockamamie idea I can hear my dad saying, "What kind of cockameamie idaa is that?"

1927, Travel photographer visiting Washington D.C. Love these old photos!

Wishing you a tail-wagging-good Thursday! Thanks, I just might! There's a free concert on the Dartmouth Green tonight with a latin dance lesson before the concert. Sounds like fun, right?

Old 06-25-2015, 08:08 AM

4,049 posts, read 2,921,244 times
Whoever is selected, she cannot be a living person. With that in mind, who would you like to see on the $10 bill? Rosa Parks

Last time anyone was removed from a US bill was the 1920s. How much will you miss Alexander Hamilton on the ten? Not at all.

What tips do you have for coping with hot weather? AC, drink plenty of water, stay inside.

How did you spend last Sunday? Recovering from my daughter's wonderful wedding; breakfast with my kids and grandkids.

Something you own that has a magnet. Fridge magnets.

The last thing you wrote on paper? Note to myself to call the cable company about a bill reminder for much more than I usually pay!

If a book was interesting, but 400 pages long, would that put you off reading it? Nope -- I'd be glad -- love long, interesting books!

What flavor Slurpee would you like? Blue raspberry please.

Have you enjoyed watermelon yet this year? Yes.

If you had to grab something last minute to bring to a potluck this Thursday, food or supplies, what would you bring? Veggie platter or a bottle of wine.

Thanks bjh. Happy Thursday everyone!

Old 06-25-2015, 08:15 AM

5,918 posts, read 3,826,326 times

I have no idea, can't think of a single person

US bill was the 1920s. How much will you miss Alexander Hamilton on the ten?
Eh not really a big deal

Stay inside where it's cool

Drove 10 hours back from Florida

erasable calendar

wrote out a check to pay a bill

No but it might take me forever to read it

Foodie Questions:
cherry please

no not yet

Since I'm not much of a cook I would bring plates, cups and plasticware

Today in History:

Today's Quote:

Today Includes:
Bomb Pop Day
Catfish Day
Color TV Day
Day of The Seafarer
Global Beatles Day
Strawberry Parfait Day

This Week Includes:

Thanks bjh!

Old 06-25-2015, 08:30 AM

3,401 posts, read 1,239,142 times
Not sure, although if I have as many 10s then as I do now, I'll be seeing her a lot!

Last time anyone was removed from a US bill was the 1920s. How much will you miss Alexander Hamilton on the ten?
Overall, I'm not thrilled about the change. To me it just sounds like change for the sake of change, something I generally don't like.
Lots of AC! Even though it's been quite hot around here no one is complaining, after the harsh winter we had this year.
Went to Savage Mill. It's an old cotton mill that's been converted into shops and restaurants.
Dry erase board
Can't remember
Probably

Foodie Questions:
Never had one and don't care for one.
Yes. In fact I had an interesting conversation with one of the regulars at my work: as I was taking some wine glasses back to the bar I overheard her conversation about how she's generally open to just about any kind of food but can't stand watermelon. I told her I was the exact opposite; don't care to try anything new, but LOVE watermelon!
Never been to one, no idea.

Old 06-25-2015, 09:01 AM

7,487 posts, read 8,029,414 times
We don't need to be putting no woman on the ten dollar bill. Their place is in the kit....Oh wait, I had better stop before I get myself in trouble with the women on C-D.

Will probably miss him a lot. Seems like I have known him all of my life

Move somewhere colder

Had to work

Does my magnetic personality count?

A note to myself reminding me to do something. Will probably forget to do it anyway

Probably.

Foodie Questions:
I will take a lime Slurpee. While you are at it could you add some rum to it?

Not a fan of watermelon

I will bring a snack tray with cheese, crackers, green and black olives, green onions and radishes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics