Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2015, 01:26 PM

20,048 posts, read 18,310,364 times

Advertisements

My wife gets that mainly. So far she's been told she looks like Julia Roberts, Sandra Bullock, Barbra Streisand (in her younger days), and Sheena Easton. I say she blows them all away!

Is she ever annoyed by the comparisons and comments? Nope. But why would she be? Unless, she thought those gals ugly, or not as good looking as self.

Ah, perhaps I hit it on the nail! You were offended because you think your pal is not nearly as good looking as you are. Right?!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2015, 01:31 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,883,248 times
It is so rare people tell me I look like anyone famous or I know. Mostly people seem to confuse me with random people that live in my neighborhood. I would love to meet these people I supposedly look like!

Old 10-23-2015, 01:37 PM

951 posts, read 1,140,939 times
Only when that person they're referring to is not attractive.

I've gotten Tyra Banks, Vanessa L. Williams, and Rani Mukherjee, and I am not Black or Indian. My thoughts? I wish! I don't get a lot of you look like so and so, but I do get a lot of you don't look <insert nationality>. I used to find it offensive because I think women from my nationality are beautiful. Now it doesn't bother me as much. From what I read, a lot of Indians don't find Freida Pinto attractive, but the Western people do. Well, I am kind of like Freida. Lots of people from my nationality don't find me attractive, but I have no issues with men from other nationalities, particularly of European descent.

Old 10-23-2015, 01:38 PM

20,722 posts, read 16,377,752 times
Hahah - when my sister introduces me to people they always say - "oh yes - I can see that!" Well, she has long straight brown hair and I have short curly dark hair...among many other differences...because she's adopted! People just don't even look or think when they say stuff. Best just to smile and nod...and then forget it!

Old 10-23-2015, 01:48 PM

4,380 posts, read 4,451,528 times
One of those "which celebrity do you look like?" tests came up with Jim Carrey as my closest match. Really? There are no WOMEN in Hollywood I even come close to? So yeah, I found that a bit offensive.

My best (girl) friend and I have been asked if we are sisters before. We are the same height, but I'm a green-eyed brunette, she's a blue-eyed blonde. But we've known each other for 26 years and at the time we were asked, we were standing in identical positions with identical looks on our face, without realizing it.

I am going on a girl's weekend in March with her and another friend of mine who I think will get along famously with her. I told my other friend I was looking forward to them meeting because I think they will really hit it off. I told her I think they even look alike and the friend said she noticed that as well (FB pictures).

I have two friends that in certain pictures, I could see why someone would ask if we were related. I would take it as a compliment.

I think my best (guy) friend looks a bit like Anthony Michael Hall when he (AMH) was younger. And my bother looks almost identical to Justin Chambers (Alex Karev, Grey's Anatomy) which kinda creeps me out a bit. Feels almost incestuous to root for him. lol

Old 10-23-2015, 01:54 PM

15,675 posts, read 11,529,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
It is so rare people tell me I look like anyone famous or I know. Mostly people seem to confuse me with random people that live in my neighborhood. I would love to meet these people I supposedly look like!
It's not all its cracked up to be jade.........

There's a fella that lives about 4 miles away that I get mistaken for ( and him for me ) he's knows a few of my mates/drinks in the same places etc have been mistaken for one another for years, we knew of each other but never actually met until this year........

I thought he was a right ugly #%*+#%

Old 10-23-2015, 02:00 PM

17,155 posts, read 12,965,617 times
I have the opposite experience. My sister and I have different fathers, and although our obvious physical characteristics are dissimilar, on closer inspection of our physical attributes, we do share a distinct resemblance. But since our hair color, skin color, and height is different, we have had scores of comments from insensitive people about how different we look from each other. I get it; we don't look a lot alike. But that has nothing to do with our sibling relationship, and we don't need reminded of that all the time.

One time, when I was only 10 years old, my mom's acquaintance reminded me that my sister (4 years old at the time) and I didn't look alike, an observation I'd already heard from strangers many times. I said to him, "What a coincidence. You don't look obtuse, yet you are." My mother, who normally didn't tolerate backtalk from her kids, told me later that was the funniest thing she ever heard me say.

Old 10-23-2015, 03:30 PM

11,161 posts, read 7,967,013 times
I'd look like Penelope Cruz.... If ya hung me upside down naked.

Old 10-23-2015, 04:38 PM

238 posts, read 222,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
ONE person said it??

WHY does it really bother you so much?

It doesn't as much as it's something that irritates me. Do black people like to be told, that they all look the same? Same scenario. When people say I look like someone that I look absolutely nothing like, it does irritate me. That's it. I think it's pretty self-explanatory. It's not like I'm losing sleep over it.

Last edited by johnnyb1980; 10-23-2015 at 04:57 PM..

Old 10-23-2015, 04:39 PM

238 posts, read 222,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
ONE person said it??

WHY does it really bother you so much?

Because I think the person who said it was trying to annoy me. That, and there is no truth to it.

Last edited by johnnyb1980; 10-23-2015 at 04:55 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics