Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-11-2023, 11:51 PM

5,743 posts, read 3,608,534 times

Advertisements

when you could buy a beer that was not a Light beer labeled Bud, Coors or Miller

Schlitz, Pabst. Miller, Blatz, Gettelmann, Fox Head (Mil)
Hubers, Berghoff, Leinenkugel. Point, Chief Oshkosh, West Bend Lithia, Potosi(Wis)
Hamms (Mpls)
Coors (Colo)
Meister Brau, Braumeister,Canadian Ace (Chi)
Strohs, Goebels, (Det)
Wiedemeier, Hudepohl (Cin)
Iron City (Pit)
Budweiser, Falstaff, Griesedieck, Stag, Hyde Park (StL)
Pearl, Lone Star, Shiner (Tex)
Jax, Dixie (NO)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2023, 11:10 AM

4,626 posts, read 3,010,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arr430 View Post
when you could buy a beer that was not a Light beer labeled Bud, Coors or Miller

Hubers, Berghoff, Leinenkugel. Point, Chief Oshkosh, West Bend Lithia, Potosi(Wis)
Hamms (Mpls)
Coors (Colo)
Strohs, Goebels, (Det)
Iron City (Pit)
Jax, Dixie (NO)

I never acquired much of a taste for beer.... but I remember some of the commercials:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=o83xxWCel8g

Old 03-12-2023, 07:04 PM

15,423 posts, read 9,096,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arr430 View Post

Hamms (Mpls)
Coors (Colo)
Strohs, Goebels, (Det)
Iron City (Pit)
Jax, Dixie (NO)
I remember when you couldn't drive down any main street and not see at least one Schlitz sign. You may or may not have seen a Coca-Cola sign, but you would for sure see a Schlitz sign. That has to be the biggest brand to ever totally implode.

Old 03-12-2023, 07:24 PM

899 posts, read 673,007 times
I remember taking a trip to Colorado and my sister bought some Coors to bring back to Illinois. We stashed it in the trunk. I'm fuzzy about why we would be in trouble if we were caught with it.

When I was grown up, one of my favorite beers of all time (Augsburger), did not have a light beer. We had regular and dark, and I now see there was also a Bock that I didn't get to try. They no longer make any of it. Damn, that was good stuff @$2 for a six of bottles on sale, Heineken for the college man! If I ever get to heaven I'm ordering a six pack immediately.

Old 03-12-2023, 08:49 PM

35,098 posts, read 17,051,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILTXwhatnext View Post
I remember taking a trip to Colorado and my sister bought some Coors to bring back to Illinois. We stashed it in the trunk. I'm fuzzy about why we would be in trouble if we were caught with it.

When I was grown up, one of my favorite beers of all time (Augsburger), did not have a light beer. We had regular and dark, and I now see there was also a Bock that I didn't get to try. They no longer make any of it. Damn, that was good stuff @$2 for a six of bottles on sale, Heineken for the college man! If I ever get to heaven I'm ordering a six pack immediately.
It's alcohol content may have exceeded some state limits. Ditto the two or three occasions I brought Molson Brador beer back from Canada.

Old 03-13-2023, 07:39 AM

899 posts, read 673,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
It's alcohol content may have exceeded some state limits. Ditto the two or three occasions I brought Molson Brador beer back from Canada.
So was that an import duty issue or...? I mean, if you're 21 you can drink Everclear, not far from pure alcohol, so why do they care about the percentage of alcohol in your beer? If they'll sell beer to an 18 year old but not vodka I'd understand.

I googled, found this.

Is Coors Beer Still Unpasteurized And Illegal In Some States?
Coors beer is still, as of today, an unpasteurized beverage with no added preservatives. The company made the shift from traditional techniques to cold filtration because they wanted to preserve flavor. They stated while heat does kill germs in beer, it also kills the taste of the beer! The Coors family wanted to maintain their high standards of flavor, and so they still do not pasteurize their beer or heat it up.

Does this mean that Coors is still illegal in some states?
Many states in the East of the United States were unable to enjoy Coors beer. This is because the beverage had to be kept cool and refrigerated, meaning it could not handle long trips by road to places like the Mississippi. Other states like Oregon actually had laws in place regarding pasteurization. They required all beers sold in Oregon for home consumption to be heated up to 140 degrees. Like we said earlier, Coors was not going to do this. Thus, they were barred from selling their product in Oregon.

https://www.upthirst.com/why-was-coo...n-some-states/

I remember a commercial from maybe the 1980s. According to the script someone asked why store displays had cases of Coors sitting out if keeping it refrigerated was important. Mark Harmon said that if it's out for a few days that's fine.

Old 03-13-2023, 07:46 AM

8,635 posts, read 9,144,630 times
I remember when one needed a bottle opener to open a bottle of beer. No twist offs. Same for the cans, at least most needed a can opener, except I think the tabs for cans just came out. And those were loose tabs, not the ones that stayed attached.

Old 03-13-2023, 08:38 AM

30,549 posts, read 16,240,407 times
Rolling Rock beer made in Latrobe Pa.

Old 03-13-2023, 08:42 AM

11,081 posts, read 6,903,040 times
I remember when I watched the Oscars and saw an obscure film like a live action short or a documentary featured in the ceremony and I couldn't find out where to see it if I wanted to. Frustrating. With the internet, now I can.

Old 03-13-2023, 09:47 AM

15,423 posts, read 9,096,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pathrunner View Post
I remember when I watched the Oscars and saw an obscure film like a live action short or a documentary featured in the ceremony and I couldn't find out where to see it if I wanted to. Frustrating. With the internet, now I can.
I think the internet is the most amazing thing to happen in my lifetime. Right now I'm building a more complete music collection by buying cheap used CDs on eBay. With research I'm finding albums that I never even knew existed. Some albums that I knew existed, I could never find in record stores near me. So I couldn't buy them. I just think about how much easier finding music would have been if the internet had existed in those days. Before the internet the only way I could find music was to watch MTV, listen to the countdown shows on the radio, read the entertainment section in the newspaper and go to the library and read Billboard and other music magazines. And all that wasn't even enough to find the music I can find today.

Now it's almost impossible to imagine life without the internet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics