Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-26-2023, 10:37 AM

2,097 posts, read 1,431,989 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAhippo View Post
I remember paper dolls.

Are paper dolls even still on the market?

It was a real treat for me to have REAL paper dolls. Mostly I had to make my own from old Sears-Roebuck catalogs.

I remember Toni Home Permanents. When I got to be a teenager my mom was giving me a Toni Home Perm at least once a year. Their ad catch line was "Which twin has the Toni?" and showed two young women, one of which supposedly had the Toni Home Perm and the other one had the more expensive salon perm.

https://www.gettyimages.com/detail/n...hoto/517201882

There was even a song from the Mills Brothers called, "Paper Dolls" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HaMeSrynug0

Last edited by Seagrape Grove; 07-26-2023 at 10:46 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2023, 10:50 AM

15,626 posts, read 9,300,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seagrape Grove View Post
Are paper dolls even still on the market?

It was a real treat for me to have REAL paper dolls. Mostly I had to make my own from old Sears-Roebuck catalogs.

I remember Toni Home Permanents. When I got to be a teenager my mom was giving me a Toni Home Perm at least once a year. Their ad catch line was "Which twin has the Toni?" and showed two young women, one of which supposedly had the Toni Home Perm and the other one had the more expensive salon perm.
Yep, they are on the market.

Amazon.com _ paper dolls

Old 07-26-2023, 10:54 AM

2,097 posts, read 1,431,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northsouth View Post
I have an Avon perfume bottle that I feel may be worth a little, but not much I'm sure. It's dated 1979 on the front label and it's in good condition. The bottle is beautiful, the perfume was called "Trailing Arbutus" and it's still in the bottle. It has an old-timey Victorian look, it was the inspiration for the theme of my business.

I sold Avon when I was 14 (wasn't supposed to, but I knew a person) I rode my bicycle miles to sell it to anyone who would let me in the door. I had collected lots of little cute things from Avon, but the Trailing Arbutus perfume is the only thing that survived.

It's possible. Bottle collecting is a hobby for many people and the internet has a lot of info about bottles from past decades (and centuries).

Old 07-26-2023, 11:03 AM

5,919 posts, read 3,830,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seagrape Grove View Post
It's possible. Bottle collecting is a hobby for many people and the internet has a lot of info about bottles from past decades (and centuries).
Ok I'll look it up. I don't know why I haven't already done that! It's special to me, I would be devastated if it got broken. It would be by me if it got broken, I have the dropsies these days so I don't touch it.

Old 07-26-2023, 04:56 PM

24,624 posts, read 26,187,838 times
When I got this, I thought I’d share. Food for thought!
I remember:

We grew up in the 40s-50s-60.
We studied and dated in the 50s-60s-70s.
We got married and discovered the world in the 60s-70s-80s.

We ventured into the 70s-80s.
We stabilized in the 90s.
We got wiser in the 2000s.
And went firmly through the 2010s.

Turns out we've lived through NINE different decades...
TWO different centuries..
TWO different millennia...

We have gone from the telephone with an operator for long-distance calls to video calls to anywhere in the world.

We have gone from slides to YouTube,
from vinyl records to online music,
from handwritten letters to email and WhatsApp...
from live matches on the radio, to black and white TV, and then to HDTV...
We went to Blockbuster and now we watch Netflix...

We got to know the first computers, punch cards, diskettes and now we have gigabytes and megabytes in hand on our cell phones or iPads...

We wore shorts throughout our childhood and then long pants, oxfords, Bermuda shorts, etc.

We dodged infantile paralysis, meningitis, H1N1 flu and now COVID-19...

We rode skates, tricycles, bicycles, mopeds, gasoline or diesel cars and now we ride hybrids or 100% electric...

Yes, we've been through a lot but what a great life we've had!

They could describe us as "exennials" people who were born in that world of the forties, who had an analog childhood and a digital adulthood.

We're kind of Ya-seen-it-all.

Our generation has literally lived through and witnessed more than any other in every dimension of life.

It is our generation that has literally adapted to "CHANGE".
A big round of applause to all the members of a very special generation, which are UNIQUE.

Here's a precious and very true message that I received from a friend:

TIME DOES NOT STOP

Life is a task that we do ourselves every day.

When you look... it's already six in the afternoon;
when you look.. it's already Friday;
when you look... the month is over;
when you look... the year is over;
when you look... 50, 60, 70 and 80 years have passed!
When you look... we no longer know where our friends are.
When you look... we lost the love of our life and now, it's too late to go back.

Do not stop doing something you like due to lack of time.

The day is today!
WE ARE NO LONGER AT AN AGE TO POSTPONE ANYTHING.

Old 07-26-2023, 05:52 PM

15,017 posts, read 9,932,965 times
I'm so old that cuff links and tie clips/pins were sold as a set.

Old 07-26-2023, 10:02 PM

5,919 posts, read 3,830,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motormaker View Post
We're kind of Ya-seen-it-all.
LOL I like what you posted. I can relate except that I wasn't born in the 40's. I can say that I experienced the 60's, 70's and 80's. Good times, even for us youngins

Old 07-27-2023, 12:46 PM

24,624 posts, read 26,187,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northsouth View Post
LOL I like what you posted. I can relate except that I wasn't born in the 40's. I can say that I experienced the 60's, 70's and 80's. Good times, even for us youngins
I'm a 40's born kid too.

Old 07-28-2023, 08:55 AM

10,311 posts, read 1,061,332 times
there were no political commentators on the News - my parents watched the 6 o'clock news every night -
News Anchor told what was happening with no spin.

Old 07-28-2023, 12:45 PM

3,269 posts, read 1,097,449 times
I'm so old I remember a time where there was no internet, no social media. We, the kids, were spending our time outside from early in the morning till 8-9 in the evening. We would come back home for lunch and then after a nap would run outside again. All these during the summer. The rest of the year, we played outside after school and after we were done with our homework. Which we did ourselves. Sometimes grandma' would give us a 10 min dictation to see how our grammar was.

Mom would give me some money and ask me to go and buy fresh bread or eggs or something else from the grocery store. There was a store 5 min away from our apartment. Other times I would run to buy ice cream or mineral water. All by myself, even before first grade. This was not unusual.

I was never bored or depressed growing up, I don't remember ever being tired. I knew all the children from the neighborhood, we were all friends. I remember an older lady, a neighbor. She and her husband, they had no kids and we used to go to her apartment quite often (ground flour) to ask her for a glass of water. She never said "No."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics