Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-13-2019, 02:51 PM

31,304 posts, read 32,889,616 times

Advertisements

^^^ I'm so old I'm trying to forget some things! lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2019, 07:20 PM

2,089 posts, read 1,418,277 times
I remember when, if you wanted whipped cream on a dessert you had to whip it yourself.

The first time I made whipped cream I made butter instead.

Old 06-13-2019, 10:31 PM

32,941 posts, read 36,378,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pekemom View Post
I remember reading that in the 1950's.
Dick, Jane, Sally, Spot and Puff....
...and Zeke the gardener! I just read internet stuff about Zeke probably being a brown guy who didn't get any respect because he wasn't called Mr. Zeke. This completely ruined the whole thing for me.

I feel sorry for Judy having to deal with this as an adult.

Old 06-14-2019, 07:11 AM

797 posts, read 238,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seagrape Grove View Post
I remember when, if you wanted whipped cream on a dessert you had to whip it yourself.

The first time I made whipped cream I made butter instead.
Whenever the job of whipping cream was left to me, mom would remind me and repeat, "don't whip it too much and turn it to butter". I never did. Such a fine-line though, one second it's cream, the next it's butter.

Old 06-14-2019, 07:44 PM

464 posts, read 287,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seagrape Grove View Post
I taught my pre-school granddaughter to read from one of those "first reader" books I got at an auction several years ago. Only it was Tim, Sally and Boots instead of Dick, Jane and Spot. But the pictures looked the same.

Our dog was named "Flip."

I got a television-shaped pencil sharpener for finishing 10 SRA books.

The kind where the picture changes between two scenes when you move it. ^

A precursor to I-phones, they were portable, multi-functional and low power, but the content did get a bit... "samey."

I liked my school, they had weekend matinees, they had free popcorn and played movies like this one, remember "The Red Balloon"?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K2dor2_tCI0

Gee, I still get a little choked-up watching it.

Thx

Old 06-14-2019, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by motormaker View Post
Comic strips Dick Tracey. Terry and the Pirates, Li'll Abner and Mammy Yokum ,Nancy and Sluggo

We had a program in Los Angeles where "Mr. Wishbone" would read the kids the Sunday funnies for kids too young to read, and everyone else, I could read, but watched along.

Mr. Wishbone had a regular after school daytime show for kids, and if you wrote to him he would send you a gift... and he really did, I got a very nice Tonka truck sent to me.

chevron with diesel near me

He had "Mickey Mud Turtle" and his sister Michelle Mud Turtle, I don't believe the creepy rabbit was a regular part of the show!

We also had "Hobo Kelly," kids sent a postcard and every day she would fire up the giant toy machine, cranking the side and all these expensive toys would spill out as the machine exploded and went "haywire," of course each time in the kid's favor.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=knnz9rBtW_E

Thx

Old 06-14-2019, 08:26 PM

We used to sit on the front steps every Monday morning, "peanut gallery" style and applaud when the garbage men picked up the trash.

I also remember when TV commercials, at least some of them could be dignified and tasteful, at least it wasn't impossible.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sjzinJ4QeHo

Thx

Old 06-14-2019, 09:42 PM

32,941 posts, read 36,378,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thx-1138 View Post
We had a program in Los Angeles where "Mr. Wishbone" would read the kids the Sunday funnies for kids too young to read, and everyone else, I could read, but watched along.

Mr. Wishbone had a regular after school daytime show for kids, and if you wrote to him he would send you a gift... and he really did, I got a very nice Tonka truck sent to me.

He had "Mickey Mud Turtle" and his sister Michelle Mud Turtle, I don't believe the creepy rabbit was a regular part of the show!

We also had "Hobo Kelly," kids sent a postcard and every day she would fire up the giant toy machine, cranking the side and all these expensive toys would spill out as the machine exploded and went "haywire," of course each time in the kid's favor.

Thx
Mom told my older sister to read the funnies and bedtime stories to me. My older brother taught me how to play the card game War when I was about 5 years old. One of the sibs taught me how to tie my shoes. It was probably my sister.

Old 06-14-2019, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
Mom told my older sister to read the funnies and bedtime stories to me. My older brother taught me how to play the card game War when I was about 5 years old. One of the sibs taught me how to tie my shoes. It was probably my sister.

"Over, under, around and through!"

Thx

Old 06-15-2019, 12:05 AM

44,634 posts, read 61,638,098 times
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics