Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-13-2019, 05:39 PM

15,700 posts, read 17,117,574 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazel W View Post
I remember when I could give positive ratings. Been a long time. I must be doing something wrong. So all of you rate positively with these memories even if I can't click it.
i

Unguentine? I'd totally forgotten that one and it was good. And, yes, it is amazing what we got and survived - stuff and things that are totally forbidden today. A product - I've lost its name - that was taken off the market some 50/60 years ago because officials said it causes cancer. Now it is reappearing in some dandruff shampoos. What is it we put on poison ivy rashes? "Pink lotion"? It never cured my yearly dose. Then, someone said rub scrub soap suds into it. Now that worked!

"Thanks for the memories".
Calamine lotion. I spent most of the summers of my childhood with patches of pink stuff all over my legs. LOL

Thankfully my mother didn't ban me from playing in the woods because of it. Eventually I learned to recognize and avoid poison ivy.

I had a girlfriend whose mother put bleach on her poison ivy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2019, 08:33 PM

35,478 posts, read 17,391,002 times
Zapmail as a Fedx service, sort of a hand-delivered fax.

Old 11-14-2019, 07:15 AM

3,430 posts, read 4,282,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
Calamine lotion. I spent most of the summers of my childhood with patches of pink stuff all over my legs. LOL

Thankfully my mother didn't ban me from playing in the woods because of it. Eventually I learned to recognize and avoid poison ivy.

I had a girlfriend whose mother put bleach on her poison ivy.

Calamine lotion, yes and thanks. But, bleach? I suppose it isn't any worse than the old yellow scrub soap which had lye in it.

Old 11-14-2019, 06:02 PM

30,805 posts, read 16,426,676 times
If nothing else, it probably prevented infection of the scratching site.

I remember shoe horns. Sort of curved things you put between your heel and the heel of your shoe; made it easier to put the shoe on. Well, it was supposed to anyway.

Old 11-15-2019, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAhippo View Post
If nothing else, it probably prevented infection of the scratching site.

I remember shoe horns. Sort of curved things you put between your heel and the heel of your shoe; made it easier to put the shoe on. Well, it was supposed to anyway.

I have one - or a modified one, being smaller. Have to bend over more. As you said "supposed to anyway". Good morning.

Old 11-15-2019, 07:51 AM

259,024 posts, read 90,928,758 times
I remember dirt roads inside the city limits. I grew up on one and it wasn't paved until long after i had moved away.

Old 11-15-2019, 05:40 PM

1,045 posts, read 767,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadicus View Post
I remember dirt roads inside the city limits. I grew up on one and it wasn't paved until long after i had moved away.
Yes! There was a dirt road around the corner from my great aunt's house & it wasn't paved till the late 70s/early 80s. She lived only 4 blocks from downtown.

Old 11-15-2019, 09:02 PM

33,052 posts, read 36,700,869 times
Quote:
Damn them. They paved the last one - that I knew of - more than ten years ago. There are only about four houses on that road and the entrance to a nature preserve. The police pretty regularly fine people for speeding on that stretch. A problem was created when it was paved.

Old 11-16-2019, 10:22 AM

24,624 posts, read 26,189,993 times
Quote:
I remember streets saved with brick in some cities, your tires would rumble as drove across the joints.

https://media-cdn.tripadvisor.com/me...ick-street.jpg

Old 11-16-2019, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by motormaker View Post
I remember streets saved with brick in some cities, your tires would rumble as drove across the joints.

https://media-cdn.tripadvisor.com/me...ick-street.jpg

According to a woman who lives in Springfield, Illinois, their brick road still exists. We used to drive over from Indiana just for the fun of rumbling over that road. Did you know those bricks was all laid one at a time by prison labor. So we were told, anyway. I hope the laborers were well-paid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics