Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-21-2021, 07:48 AM

19,969 posts, read 30,236,853 times

Advertisements

I remember when most houses smelled like cigarette
Smoke or Crisco.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2021, 12:01 PM

18,126 posts, read 11,761,140 times
I can remember playing with the mini jukebox in the dining booth. I could barely hear it and sat right next to the speaker, played my favorites.

Old 03-21-2021, 12:08 PM

102,218 posts, read 107,977,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
Soda counters at pharmacies.
The neighborhood I grew up in, in Berkeley, CA, still had the original soda fountain in its pharmacy up through the 90's. At some point, the business was bought and converted to a restaurant, and the soda fountain was removed. But up until roughly 20 years ago, you could still go to the pharmacy, sit at the counter, and get a milkshake or soda.

Old 03-21-2021, 12:10 PM

102,218 posts, read 107,977,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1973PINTO View Post
one speed bicycles .. mine now has 18 .
Probably about half the bikes sold today are one-speeds. Have you been to your local bike shop/s lately? And a lot of them have fat tires, like in the old-old days, if they're not mountain bikes. For some reason, fat tires have made a comeback.

Old 03-21-2021, 06:17 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,362,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
The neighborhood I grew up in, in Berkeley, CA, still had the original soda fountain in its pharmacy up through the 90's. At some point, the business was bought and converted to a restaurant, and the soda fountain was removed. But up until roughly 20 years ago, you could still go to the pharmacy, sit at the counter, and get a milkshake or soda.
Our tiny west Texas town pharmacy has a real 1950s era soda fountain counter and booths set up in the front of the building as you enter but mostly for display. It appears almost new but they don't advertise it and they do not allow customers to sit in the booths. The booths are so small that most modern teenagers couldn't sit in one of them comfortably anyway.

Old 03-21-2021, 07:32 PM

15,421 posts, read 9,092,925 times
Quote:
I remember back in the 1990s when a lot of drug stores were reviving their soda fountains. But I think that was a short lived fad. Those same stores today seem to be gone, or converted into other types of stores with no soda fountain.

One notable exception is the drug store in my hometown. The last time I was there about 25 years ago it looked exactly as I remembered it from when I was a kid. It had the orange and blue Rexall Drug Storefront on the front. Inside the soda fountain was on the left wall, and merchandise shelves were on the right and in the center. The pharmacy was in the back.

The place still exists today, but looking at the pictures, it's gone way down hill. They have dropped Rexall from the name and Frankensteined it into some big general merchandise store by taking over the store fronts on each side and remodeling it with an ugly western theme. They still have the soda fountain, but from the pictures, it looks so out of place. It just looks sad, with none of the intimacy I remember the old store having. The store's website brags that the soda fountain still has the origional 1940s soft-serve ice cream machine. Well good for them. But that ice cream sucked when I was a kid. LOL. The only time I got any ice cream there was when I had a coupon for a free ice cream cone. Otherwise I bugged my parents to take me to the Dairy Queen or the Tastee-Freez.

Old 03-22-2021, 05:07 PM

1,658 posts, read 2,695,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
...One notable exception is the drug store in my hometown. The last time I was there about 25 years ago it looked exactly as I remembered it from when I was a kid. It had the orange and blue Rexall Drug Storefront on the front. Inside the soda fountain was on the left wall, and merchandise shelves were on the right and in the center. The pharmacy was in the back...
We only had a 5 & dime, but I was able to purchase hot fudge sundaes for a quarter. Then we moved out of state to a town with a drug store similar to what you described. Cherry phosphates were a nickel and floats were 20¢. There was a bowl of chips set out for patrons, and I had to ask what they were. "They're corn chips," was the reply.

Old 03-22-2021, 07:46 PM

32,944 posts, read 36,386,492 times
Quote:
Probably about half the bikes sold today are one-speeds. Have you been to your local bike shop/s lately? And a lot of them have fat tires, like in the old-old days, if they're not mountain bikes. For some reason, fat tires have made a comeback.
They never really went away in flat east coast beach towns.

Old 03-23-2021, 06:49 AM

15,421 posts, read 9,092,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustPassinThru View Post
We only had a 5 & dime, but I was able to purchase hot fudge sundaes for a quarter. Then we moved out of state to a town with a drug store similar to what you described. Cherry phosphates were a nickel and floats were 20¢. There was a bowl of chips set out for patrons, and I had to ask what they were. "They're corn chips," was the reply.
The 5 & Dime in my hometown was a Ben Franklin store right across the street from the drug store. They didn't have any soda fountain but that was the place to shop for toys and stuff.

Old 03-23-2021, 05:53 PM

555 posts, read 348,356 times
Taking a sewing class in High School, we use to make cute halter tops & maxi dresses.

They didn't have all these clothing stores everywhere and definitely didn't have much for teenagers to choose from.

If we wanted cute clothes we had to make them. I would save my money from babysitting, on the weekends and my part-time job after school to buy all the supplies to make the cute clothes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics