Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2007, 08:27 PM

2,815 posts, read 12,987,857 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vpcats View Post
Oh MoMark!!! I have a pic of my other half and I just like the last one you have posted. We took it on a cruise last summer. They have all these costumes and you get dressed up. I have it in color and black and white and we have it in a old style frame. Looks soooo weird!

And my background: 50% cuban (mother) 50% spaniard (father).
Isn't that a cool pic? I didn't even know who my greatgrandfather's parents were until Dec. of 2006. I knew my greatgrandfather. He was born in N. Ireland in 1888 I knew and he still had a strong accent as an elderly man, but I never knew much about his family. Then in Dec. searching for info. on my German greatgreatgrandmother (my Irish greatgrandfather's mother in law by the way!), the old lady in the pic in a housedress (taken sometime around 1947/8 in North Dakota), on Rootsweb, she died in 1950, I sent an email to the person who was compiling all this data on my family. Turned out that my greatgrandfather from Ireland had a sister who was that person's grandmother, so we're third cousins once removed. He said he had pics of our mutual greatgrandparents, so that's how I got the one of Sara Ann and James Dixon (I kept their last name out of it). They were from England and lived in N.Ireland where they had ten children, one of whom was my greatgrandfather whom I knew.
I found out that the man in the photograph you saw was much older than my greatgreatgrandmother Sara Ann and that he was a sea captain who ran weapons to the American Civil War from Great Britain, so I assume he helped provide supplies to the Confederates. My greatgrandfather had few kind words for his father apparently according to my mother who said he told her that they didn't get along at all. He was apparently a very stern, strict, no-nonsense man with little outward display of affection. He died in 1925 a very old man. I don't know when she died.
But...their clothes look very period!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2007, 03:07 AM

1,261 posts, read 4,272,002 times
I'm mostly Irish (get some from all four grandparents), but also Cherokee (from 3 grandparents, though you can't tell it lol), English (1 grandparent), Dutch (1 grandparent), Scottish (1 or 2 grandparents) and Welsh (1 grandparent).

Irish great-grandpa (last name Tracy) in Massachusetts was married to a Dutch woman who was also part Irish. She had moved to America from Holland by way of Ireland and Canada.

Welsh/Irish great-grandpa in Oklahoma was married to a Cherokee woman.

English great-grandpa in the NC mountains was married to a Cherokee woman.

Not sure about the other set of great-grandparents, but they were a mix of Cherokee, Scottish and Irish and lived in the southeastern part of NC.

More than y'all are interested in knowing, but there ya go.

Old 02-01-2007, 12:11 PM

184 posts, read 902,146 times
Default Magyar Vandor

a direct desendant of Attila the Hun here! ( ie. north Transylvanian-hungarian).

otherwise, Austrian-Saxon and a healthy bit of Slavic jewish blood flowing in my veins.

Old 02-01-2007, 02:18 PM

4,494 posts, read 7,482,638 times
Italian, Cherokee and English.

Old 02-01-2007, 02:41 PM

122 posts, read 179,219 times
I am a mix of German, Dutch, Irish, and Cherokee Indian.

Great Grandparents: 1 full blooded Irish, married to a full blooded German.
1 full blooded Dutch, married to a full blooded Indian
1 full blooded Dutch, married to a full blooded Irish.
1 full blooded English, married to a full blooded Dutch.

Old 02-02-2007, 12:41 PM

1,512 posts, read 8,168,425 times
I'm African American.

Old 02-02-2007, 06:12 PM

694 posts, read 2,652,342 times
I believe my dad was a greaser from the 50s and my mom was a hippie
from the 60s. They have both been married so many times.
It is so hard to keep track of the half and step brother and sisters.
That makes me confused, or Polish and French

Old 02-03-2007, 08:43 PM

5,453 posts, read 8,223,919 times
Mutt here! Irish, English, French, American Indian! Makes for a pretty interesting mix, if I say so myself! Husband is polish and Irish,, makes a wonderful team.

Old 02-03-2007, 08:53 PM

79 posts, read 333,722 times
Oh yeah, just another mutt Mostly German, Polish, & Pennsylvania Dutch...

But on that note... I made halushki for dinner tonight. Sooooo, good!

Old 02-06-2007, 09:40 PM

8,862 posts, read 17,490,386 times
Default Celts/Angols/Saxons of some sort

German on my dad's side
and
English, Scots-Irish on my mother's side

Interesting to research the cultures and history. I had forgotten so much world history. It was good to go back and review--LOL--I found a series of fiction books that provided a spring board that launched me into the past.

'The Outlander Series' by Diana Gabaldon--time travel, historical fiction, the story of a marriage and an entertaining/informative sociological/anthropological journey. 6 big books and there will be more. The saga of Jamie and Claire continues. The revolutionary war is about to begin and Jamie and Claire have lost everything again. Started their new life in western NC, Jamie had to leave Scotland after Culloden. Now he must make a difficult choice--loyalty to the Crown or the rebellious colonials?

Och aye--if ye have a drop o Celtic blood ye'll enjoy this series:
-Outlander, Dragonfly in Amber, Voyager, Drums of Autumn, Fiery Cross and A Breath of Snow and Ashes

Ireland>>>

Go Here>>>
http://homepage.eircom.net/~archaeology/three/index.htm
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics