Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2009, 09:27 PM

12,981 posts, read 14,539,160 times

Advertisements

Milkman? Swimming hole?

How about phone booths and pay phones.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2009, 09:46 PM

1,252 posts, read 2,646,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzymystic View Post
Milkman? Swimming hole?

How about phone booths and pay phones.
Do milkmen even deliver to swimming holes? Or phone booths? And with the advent of cell phones how does Superman change clothes? And, for that matter, who delivers milk to Superman?

Old 01-20-2009, 02:54 AM

2,175 posts, read 9,173,251 times
Superman goes online and has milk delivered in a refrigerated UPS truck from a specific cow in Wisconsin that he found on Ebay that bagged an internent connection.
It is utterly ridiculous.

The OP made some good points. Most of the things mentioned will go the way of the record player, hula hoops, and 8 track tape players. (I even remember the 4 track players)
Showing my age now- I remember the windup Victrola and 78 rpm records that my parents had.
Cursive writing--my daughter is a school teacher. She says hand writing being taught is going out of style because everyone does everything on an electronic gadget. They still teach how to print but cursive is no longer a major issue.
Calculators are permitted in the classroom to solve numbers tests. All we need to do now is know how to push the right buttons. Kids just need to know how to use a gadget to do what brains used to be taught to figure out.
Ever hear that old saying "if you don't use it, you lose it"?
There may come a time when humans lose all ability to think on their own or how to figure out a problem or a simple math question.
How long has it been since you saw a cashier be able to count out the right change from a purchase instead of just giving you what the screen in front of her/him showed.
They would be totaly lost.
The biggest thing we are losing is the ability to nuture and enhance our brain power. We let high tech stuff do our thinking for us. Knowledge has drained from our heads to our fingertips.
I guess that's my rant for tonight.

Old 01-20-2009, 03:32 AM

10,261 posts, read 21,767,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by younglisa7 View Post
18. VCRs For the better part of three decades, the VCR was a best-seller and staple in every American household until being completely decimated by the DVD, and now the Digital Video Recorder (DVR).

Another thing becoming extinct is the true meaning of the word "decimate"; it means to destroy 1 in 10, now people (evidently those with no knowledge of Rome) use it to mean "wiped out" or "almost destroyed".

Old 01-20-2009, 07:15 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,405,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TX_AGGIE13 View Post
I'd add DVD's to that.... So many alternatives to a DVD library comming available in the near future like Apple TV, etc.... Also 4x4 trucks! It's sad, but gas guzzlers they are.
Can't agree with that one. We need a 4x4 truck where we live and so do most people around us. There are more trucks here than cars.

Old 01-20-2009, 07:53 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,719,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
Another thing becoming extinct is the true meaning of the word "decimate"; it means to destroy 1 in 10, now people (evidently those with no knowledge of Rome) use it to mean "wiped out" or "almost destroyed".
I agree that not understanding the definition of a word is becoming extinct, although the practice of chiding others on their lack of knowledge when one's own knowledge is lacking is still alive and well. Notice that "killing one in ten" is the third definition. Times, and definitions, change. Like it or not.

dec·i·mate (ds-mt)tr.v. dec·i·mat·ed, dec·i·mat·ing, dec·i·mates
1. To destroy or kill a large part of
(a group).

2. Usage Problem
a. To inflict great destruction or damage on
: The fawns decimated my rose bushes.
b. To reduce markedly in amount: a profligate heir who decimated his trust fund.

3. To select by lot and kill one in every ten of.

Old 01-20-2009, 08:26 PM

1,227 posts, read 3,013,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by younglisa7 View Post
Can't agree with that one. We need a 4x4 truck where we live and so do most people around us. There are more trucks here than cars.
I do too....I live on a small ranch outside San Antonio, but have a ranch in East Texas that is 13 miles of mud, and dirt....lol. I just think the days of city folk having "Show" trucks (ie: you work at JP Morgan as an accountant, and live in The Woodlands, TX. and have no idea how to actually use the 4x4 feature you paid $4500 for) are over. That alone will cut down majorly in sales, which is probably for the better. Hopefully trucks will become more like tractors, something you only buy if you use, or need them. That way maybe John Deer, New Holland, Mahendra, etc...will take on manufacturing and selling them where they are built to last.....that would be just fantastic!!

Old 01-20-2009, 08:34 PM

1,227 posts, read 3,013,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robhu View Post
Superman goes online and has milk delivered in a refrigerated UPS truck from a specific cow in Wisconsin that he found on Ebay that bagged an internent connection.
It is utterly ridiculous.

The OP made some good points. Most of the things mentioned will go the way of the record player, hula hoops, and 8 track tape players. (I even remember the 4 track players)
Showing my age now- I remember the windup Victrola and 78 rpm records that my parents had.
Cursive writing--my daughter is a school teacher. She says hand writing being taught is going out of style because everyone does everything on an electronic gadget. They still teach how to print but cursive is no longer a major issue.
Calculators are permitted in the classroom to solve numbers tests. All we need to do now is know how to push the right buttons. Kids just need to know how to use a gadget to do what brains used to be taught to figure out.
Ever hear that old saying "if you don't use it, you lose it"?
There may come a time when humans lose all ability to think on their own or how to figure out a problem or a simple math question.
How long has it been since you saw a cashier be able to count out the right change from a purchase instead of just giving you what the screen in front of her/him showed.
They would be totaly lost.
The biggest thing we are losing is the ability to nuture and enhance our brain power. We let high tech stuff do our thinking for us. Knowledge has drained from our heads to our fingertips.
I guess that's my rant for tonight.
YES!!! and they call all of these things that are going on "progression"??... This baffles me. I think progression would be rewinding the 8mm film to 1890, or 1940, whatever.... where things were more simple, and people were people not "robots". What on earth is better about today over 50 years ago?? NOTHING! A bunch of lazy punk kids, snotty nosed business execs, and people living off the government.

Sometimes I wish I could put on my boxing gloves and walk around punching people in the keyster, but the sissys of today would rather slap a law suit on you than learn to fight.....wow, I got issues huh??

Oh, and as for the "use it or loose it" theory, I couldn't agree more, and that doesn't only go for your brain, but also your body. That being said eat all the Mickey D's fat burgers you want, and let the computer, and television live your life for you......

Like the Joker said in Batman "This town needs an enema!!"....well, that saying fits this weak new age even better.

Old 01-20-2009, 11:37 PM

27,354 posts, read 27,407,146 times
Now aint that fer sure! The milkman, the vcr, IM gonna go get me a few really cheap just to have them around for my videos. And of course, the 35mm. Im really attached to my Olympus. How about an actual water, shampoo or V8 bottle with the FULL shape it used to have....and a full 16 oz of product, rather than only 12 oz because the new hourglass shape takes up space that used to be used for the stuff. THAT right there ticks me off.
And not to forget answering machines and ordinary bulbs, gotta get a supply of those too while Im at it.

Old 01-21-2009, 07:05 AM

54,498 posts, read 33,875,374 times
Another thing that I wish would become extinct in the entire world, and not just in the United States, it's an element that lives in human nature, and it's what brought our nation to its current economic crisis - GREED. If you think about it, greed will often end up causing every problem we see in the world today.

Last edited by Magnum Mike; 01-21-2009 at 07:16 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics