Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-25-2011, 04:43 PM

6,041 posts, read 11,477,189 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pamelaBeurman View Post
I'm pretty sure that all of us rule making old farts are familiar with resident tuition rates. That's not the real issue though. YOU are upset because you didn't qualify for NM's college program. Oh well.

We need rules in order to have a civilized society. It doesn't matter if you like them or not, they exist for a reason.
I never said old people don't understand tuition rates. Maybe I didn't make myself clear. I mentioned the older generation and tuition rates on that post, but I wasn't making a connection between the two.

I said a lot of young people with free tuition don't understand tuition rates.

And I gave an example of a 31 year old that didn't understand (31 is not old, but old enough that she should know).

When you say I didn't qualify, you imply that I wasn't good enough for the free tuition. But that's not the case. The only reason I didn't "qualify" is because I went to high school in another state.

Old 04-25-2011, 05:22 PM

5,234 posts, read 7,990,968 times
Not qualifying doesn't imply anything about you not being good enough, one can not qualify for a number of reasons.

So get over the obsession, you have to pay, they don't. But there will still be rules you will have to live with. You might find the work place some what like being in school again, with worker bee's, drones, and those getting promotions not always the most deserving of more responsibility and money.

Old 04-25-2011, 05:52 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,736,641 times
My current vent is towards people who appear incapable of saying something once but have a burning need to repeat themselves over and over and over again to belabor a point and bore to death anyone within hearing distance.

Old 04-25-2011, 08:38 PM

I hate it when I post on here about facebook and people claim I keep talking about the same stuff. When really, I'm talking about a different person each time. Sure, a lot of my posts might be about facebook (typically about facebook unfriending). But that doesn't mean every post I make about facebook is about the same person.

And I find it ironic when someone tries to outsmart me about facebook then they admit they're not on facebook. If you're not on facebook, there's no way for you to outsmart me when it comes to facebook. It just won't happen. Why do people that aren't on facebook try to pass themselves off as facebook experts?

Old 04-25-2011, 08:45 PM

4,486 posts, read 5,227,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by agnt.starling View Post
My vent for the day (Once Again)
Stinky Tuna & Vinegar Oil eating neighbor in cubicle next to me
Note to self (buy more air freshing spray) any suggestions on the strongest effective scent?
Go to your local health food store, they usually carry a good selection of essential oils. Patchouli is kinda strong and people either love it or hate it. Just apply a few drops to any heat producing surface in his cubicle, that will REALLY bring out the scent.

Old 04-25-2011, 08:52 PM

4,486 posts, read 5,227,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city_data91 View Post
I never said old people don't understand tuition rates. Maybe I didn't make myself clear. I mentioned the older generation and tuition rates on that post, but I wasn't making a connection between the two.

And I gave an example of a 31 year old that didn't understand (31 is not old, but old enough that she should know).

When you say I didn't qualify, you imply that I wasn't good enough for the free tuition. But that's not the case. The only reason I didn't "qualify" is because I went to high school in another state.
I'm well aware of why you didn't qualify. I don't mince words, had I thought you didn't qualify due to your grades, I would have said so.

On the other hand, the feeling that comes across in your post is that an exception should have been made for you. Sorry kid, things don't work that way in the real world.

Old 04-25-2011, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pamelaBeurman View Post
I'm well aware of why you didn't qualify. I don't mince words, had I thought you didn't qualify due to your grades, I would have said so.

On the other hand, the feeling that comes across in your post is that an exception should have been made for you. Sorry kid, things don't work that way in the real world.
No. That's not what I meant at all. I don't think I'm so special that an exception should be made. I just think they should revise the way it's done. Either all the states should give free tuition, or New Mexico should change the scholarship so it's need based and/or merit based.

Old 04-25-2011, 10:10 PM

25,080 posts, read 16,334,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by todd00 View Post
Not qualifying doesn't imply anything about you not being good enough, one can not qualify for a number of reasons.

So get over the obsession, you have to pay, they don't. But there will still be rules you will have to live with. You might find the work place some what like being in school again, with worker bee's, drones, and those getting promotions not always the most deserving of more responsibility and money.
Well said

Old 04-26-2011, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by city_data91 View Post

Come to think of it, that 31 year old was clueless in other ways too. When she found out I don't have a car, she tried to sell me a $1,000 car that her family was selling. I could afford the price of the car, but I couldn't afford the other costs like insurance. She was shocked that I probably won't have a car at least until I graduate college (and she didn't seem to understand that I had a car in high school).

She didn't understand the concept that I would like a car but I can't afford one. I guess in her mind, you need (and can afford) everything you want.

Once again, it's expected for a sheltered young student to not understand the value of a dollar. But a 31 year old should understand that if you can't afford something, you have no choice but to go without.

Old 04-26-2011, 10:54 AM

20,797 posts, read 9,748,072 times
^^^^^ Wow so very sad that you are so very angry at the world. Best wishes to you.

I am not checking this thread any more until this stops. It has now become a one man show. It was always a funny place to come where everyone could make light of the stress and venting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics