Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-23-2013, 11:53 PM

19,299 posts, read 16,833,967 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.J. Kencade View Post
I was enjoying a great morning....until my sister started sending me "religious" text messages. She can't accpet that I am not religious and have no desire to be, therefore she SHOVES her beliefs down my throat.

Life can be great.....but people always have to ruin it. :-/

Old 01-25-2013, 01:41 AM

23,338 posts, read 29,212,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fallingwater View Post
This is what I am concerned about. Our one dog is very confident. He doesnt feel threatened by other dogs and is extremely smart. I think he would be just fine with boarding. He has an easy going personality. He does his occasional annoying things but that is just part of being a pet owner. My other dog? Oh boy. Boarding would probably send her over the edge. She is very neurotic. We rescued her from a jerk and part of me wishes I would have re-homed her when she was a pup. I dont mean to sound like a jerk but she is a particular breed I never cared for. I said I would never own a beagle. Well...never say never!
Motel 6 is the most pet-friendly motel chain around, don't even need to ask if you can have a pet there, and no extra charges, like so many other chains.

I always stay there with my pet ferret, and it's great place to stay, as on the grounds, you'll always run into other's walking their pets, opportunities to socialize with the other guests.

Old 01-25-2013, 01:59 AM

23,338 posts, read 29,212,218 times
Oh the horrors, the stress, of finding a diagnosis for your car problems!!! My 28 YO car had a squeeling noise for a whole week (my brother, a mechanic, told me the belt needed tightening), took it to my usual mechanic, and, they test drove it 2X, never heard a noise!!! My brother says this happens with him, a complaint about some noise, they get it to the shop, no noise!!!

But they did tell me my driveshaft is going, and I need a U-Joint ($650). Paid them $88 for the diagnosis, went up the street to another place I've been to. They tell me the U-joints are good, they minimized the driveshaft problem, but they told me I have more dire problems, oil leakage, a new oil gasket, and my rack and pinion needs replacing. $952 estimate!

My mechanic brother told me to go to an auto mechanic is like visiting a politician!

Went to a new place, nearer to my house, and they gave me a $900 estimate, but said they'd do it for $800, $400 cash down. Done! So we shall see!!

Got so frustrated, I researched scooters the night before, been wanting to buy one, and I was all set to go 4 miles east to a Scooter shop and buy one, for an emergency vehicle. Called them first, question: if I drive over there and buy one today, how do I get it home? Answer? We don't deliver, you must drive it home!!! Yeah, sure!!! Never driven one before, and I'm going to drive it thru daytime traffic, 4 miles to my house??????? And then bus over there and retrieve the car!!!

Every mechanic deludes themselves into thinking a car is indespensible to your life. Wrong! I can catch a bus 2 blocks away that deposits me a half-block from work! And with my new Senior bus ID it's $1 a ride!
What would be the biggest drawback to being car-less is the grocery store shopping/hauling, but a scooter would do the trick, and there's 5 big grocery stores within 6 blocks of my house!

Old 01-25-2013, 02:31 AM

18,574 posts, read 18,877,396 times
Dont have a car, walk nearly everywhere I want to go unless a longer journey or in a hurry , then I get the bus... no hassles.no parking, no road tax, or stress in traffic.. just enjoy the scenery. pity more didnt use public transport... its a different world on the top of a double decker bus

Old 01-25-2013, 07:56 AM

22,445 posts, read 29,604,162 times
Midwest M-I completely understand where you are coming from regarding cutting off toxic people in your life whether they are family or friends. I had to do it myself in order to stop being so negative. Just because you're born in that family it doesn't mean you have to like them.

As far as school loans, do not feel bad. I'm considering doing the same thing once I can get things in order and I will be 38 in May. I'd like to go to Johnson & Wales in CLT for cooking. Not to work in a restaurant but for my PERSONAL knowledge. Maybe become a private chef??? Who knows but it is my dream and I will do it and if I have to pay $100 a month till the day I die, then so be it. It will run me around $60K+

Old 01-26-2013, 02:50 AM

33,029 posts, read 36,611,665 times
Stress. My son has spent two years fixing up my old car. The very good mechanic down the road quoted $7,500+ for all of the work. My son did it for the cost of a few tools (we already had quite a few tools) and parts, maybe a thousand or fifteen hundred dollars. Tonight he was in a slow speed snowy, icy accident which probably totaled the car. After the police, fire truck, tow truck were gone, he came home and cried.

Neither he nor the passenger were hurt. They were both wearing seat belts and the air bags deployed.

Old 01-26-2013, 03:52 AM

6,434 posts, read 5,264,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
Stress. My son has spent two years fixing up my old car. The very good mechanic down the road quoted $7,500+ for all of the work. My son did it for the cost of a few tools (we already had quite a few tools) and parts, maybe a thousand or fifteen hundred dollars. Tonight he was in a slow speed snowy, icy accident which probably totaled the car. After the police, fire truck, tow truck were gone, he came home and cried.

Neither he nor the passenger were hurt. They were both wearing seat belts and the air bags deployed.
It's a good thing that your son and the passenger are okay. But that is very stressful thing to happen. Best wishes for your son to go forward in full speed, filling each day with his strength and energy and have a happy and successful year.

Old 01-26-2013, 04:32 AM

3,399 posts, read 3,101,453 times
@tijlover......if you buy a scooter, make sure you check your state's DVM rules and regulations to see if you need a special driving license to drive it. I know some states requires that you take a test on it and get a license before you can be on the roads (mine does).

Old 01-26-2013, 08:35 AM

21,274 posts, read 6,362,872 times
Quote:

If you need anything, let me know.

Old 01-26-2013, 02:37 PM

22,445 posts, read 29,604,162 times
Quote:

Cars can be replaced. People cannot. Glad to hear they are safe..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics