Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2009, 02:14 PM

666 posts, read 1,844,290 times

Advertisements

Pet Peeve:

Debates on english being a phonetic language.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2009, 02:26 PM

25,747 posts, read 18,818,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftCoastee View Post
Pet Peeve:

Debates on english being a phonetic language.
Pet peeve:

Debate on any topic that I don't want to talk about or doesn't interest me.

Old 05-17-2009, 02:58 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,992,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
Pet peeve and major irritant. People who use college degrees as a license for a pompous attitude,

I don't have a college degree, and I don't claim one, so I am perfectly entitled to have a pompous attitude without running afoul of your peeve.

Old 05-17-2009, 03:39 PM

666 posts, read 1,844,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
Pet peeve:

Debate on any topic that I don't want to talk about or doesn't interest me.
If this thread was about the english language or phonetics I wouldn't have a problem with it. In fact, I wouldn't even click on it. But its not, its about pet peeves and things that annoy people.

So back on topic. Pet peeve:

I find it annoying when someone posts a question in a thread and you spend a significant amount of time answering their question only to have the OP never come back to the thread. It makes you not want to be as helpful in the future.

Old 05-17-2009, 06:09 PM

3,631 posts, read 10,236,486 times
I've got a new one: people who don't think the rules apply to them.

this morning:
i don't care how far you had to drive to get here, visiting hours start at 10. i'm sorry your wife is dying, visiting hours still start at 10. i don't care how many times you say "psh, whatever" to me like a spoiled 12 year old, VISITING HOURS STILL START AT 10.

WHY do people think they're extra special and rules don't apply to them?

Old 05-19-2009, 04:26 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,663,996 times
I've got a pretty good one. I don't like being treated with disrespect--especially in my own home. But what is REALLY irritating is when a cripple does it. How am I supposed to get any "satisfaction"? There's no pride in saying you beat up a cripple...and I wouldn't do it anyhow. So I have to let the guy get away with mouthing off (it's my room mate's boyfriend!). Boy, does that irk me!

Old 05-19-2009, 06:58 AM

5,252 posts, read 4,677,849 times
I was under the impression that this forum was to be set aside to address topics that might be worthy of debate, that said, it seems as though many folk's are putting out these one and two liners that are more indicative of a rant or rave forum. Are we just too out of it to read the original post regarding the rules set forth from the forums administrator asking that the forum be LIMITED to a real debate, you know, debate, not the punchy reply or the "I'm with ya buddy" kind of stuff.

Old 05-19-2009, 07:15 AM

932 posts, read 1,677,712 times
Pet Peeves...I have a whole list!

People with no common sense what so ever!( You can be book smart, but socially dumb as a door knob)!

People who do not read signs posted i.e Please Start Line Here, or Wait to be Seated...GRRRRRRR!!!!!

My roomate who leaves her dishes for others to wash them.

People who do not wash their hands after using a public restroom ( I will hunt you down and tell you to wash your hands...thats nasty)

People who are rude to customer service workers from the start and then still expect the service worker to kiss their ass! (Really who are you?)

People who take mispelled words on the internet too seriously (I type fast and this isn't graded, clearly I know how to spell when writing an essay)

People who take themselves to seriously on the internet...(If your life is that horrible then I feel sorry for you.)

Old 05-19-2009, 07:59 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,992,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
I've got a pretty good one. I don't like being treated with disrespect--!
Actually, you just reminded me of what is probably my own overriding pet peeve---seeing ANYBODY treated with disrespect. It makes me see red to see a customer berating an $7-an-hour countergirl at McDonalds for something that is not her fault. She has a crap job working for crap pay for crap hours for a crap boss dealing with crap customers, and then some smartass has to show off to the whole line by berating her for some silly thing that she doesn't even have any control over.

Old 05-19-2009, 08:40 AM

932 posts, read 1,677,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Actually, you just reminded me of what is probably my own overriding pet peeve---seeing ANYBODY treated with disrespect. It makes me see red to see a customer berating an $7-an-hour countergirl at McDonalds for something that is not her fault. She has a crap job working for crap pay for crap hours for a crap boss dealing with crap customers, and then some smartass has to show off to the whole line by berating her for some silly thing that she doesn't even have any control over.
Yes this is one of my biggest pet peeves being as though when I was in high school, I worked at a McDonald's my uncle owned. I hated the way people talked down to me.

Now, I never complain about anything trivial. If its going to cause me harm or something that I didn't pay for then yes, I'll speak up but just because the burger in the wrapper doesn't look like the burger on the picture, is a really stupid thing to be mad at a person for.

I also hate when a customer is already having a bad day and takes it out on a service worker...then complains about the service.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics