Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2007, 10:19 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,585,697 times

Advertisements

probably not anything new- rebels (those of us from 60's-70's) but: I am really confused. White kids wearing cornrows and baggy sweats (to work) is this supposed to be cool now?.It looks ridiculous- guess I am just out of the loop!

Any parents here with thoughts/opinions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2007, 10:36 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,858,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyhelena View Post
probably not anything new- rebels (those of us from 60's-70's) but: I am really confused. White kids wearing cornrows and baggy sweats (to work) is this supposed to be cool now?.It looks ridiculous- guess I am just out of the loop!

Any parents here with thoughts/opinions?
You should have been w/ us on spring break. We took a family vacation and went to the beach in Mexico (not Cancun). It was pretty tame but we still saw a few things that were totally unacceptable. If our girls noticed we started a discussion w/ them about what these older girls were wearing (my girls are not even in high school yet). Saw enough crack to turn one off, yes even girls w/ bottoms so small you saw crack. Then at the airport. OMYHEAVENS!!! If I saw one of my daughters in an outfit like some of those she would be chained up at home. One girl standing in line at the ticket counter behind us was wearing a VERY small white terry swimsuit coverup. The top was made w/ the two triangles and tied behind her neck and the thing barely covered her butt. My husband got a show......... The other two w/ her were not much better. That one girl I bet had on nothing but a thong and that lil coverup. GETTING ON AN AIRPLANE!!! And the girls w/ the teeny tiny shorts and skirts. These outfits were so short that their bare butt would be touching the seat on the plane. That is just gross. YUCK!!!

Then the guy going thru security in front of us. Omy........ he needed one entire plastic tray to hold all of his metal (all the ear rings he had in various places..... as he kept taking them off I was just like please God tell me he does not have to get one out of any places we don't need to see). The boy was skinny and from the backside w/ his belt on thru the belt loops of his baggy jeans you saw practically ALL of his boxers. ........ stomach turning........ He had to take his belt off w/ the metal studs to get thru the metal detector and when he undid the belt he had to use his hands to hold his britches up. The boy could hardly walk having to hold those britches up w/o his belt I guess being so tight below his butt that it squeezes them on normally?

I too don't get the whole gangsta/ghetto dress. It just looks tacky and nasty.

Old 04-03-2007, 10:37 PM

1,308 posts, read 3,400,531 times
I guess that I'm old fashioned. I think that kids first start off with wearing these clothes and hairstyles. Next thing is that they start smoking reefer, throwing gang hand signs and listening to ganster rap. Before you know it, they are calling you a bi$%h and running away from home. I think that parents need to stop there kids right from the start. A lot of the problems happen when parents use the "it's the style" excuse and think that little Tommy is harmless and could never do no wrong. Then you have your lazy parents who prefer to never say no to their kids until it's too late. If you are going to have kids, I think that you need to be extremely involved in all there activities from day one. You need to know who they are with and establish a relationship with the parents. There won't be any phones, computers or doors in my kids rooms. I will give them my 100% until they are adults. If they don't get it right by then, my job is done. I won't have any freeloaders living with me. As long as they are doing the right thing, they will have my full support. BTW, I have a 7 and 4 year old. The hair loss and grays have already begun!

Old 04-03-2007, 10:43 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,585,697 times
lol- re: the scene at the airport. You know- the piercing thing- its like- if you are interviewing for a job it may not help- (The same goes for haircolor dyed burgundy- Halloween style). Its fine if you are at a club- but do these kids have jobs- or just sponge off their parents?. Sad.

Old 04-03-2007, 10:45 PM

4,279 posts, read 10,359,944 times
Yup you've gotta love the gangsta look on all colors of kids. I see enough crack, muffin factors, whale tails etc in one day to keep me giggling for a week On the other hand some kids wear t-shirts so big and baggy the only thing you do see is the lower portion of the legs!
I don't however, assume that because a kid dresses that way that they are bad, into drugs etc ... for the most part that's the stereotyping thing kicking in. Kind of like the punk era for me.
I'm not a fan of most of today's fashions but I sit back have a good chuckle at it and wait for the next one to come around.

Old 04-03-2007, 10:55 PM

282 posts, read 1,263,882 times
I wore parachute pants in the 80's and gauchos in the 70's. I'm not saying ANYTHING about the styles today!!

Old 04-04-2007, 06:57 AM

1,962 posts, read 5,196,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyhelena View Post
probably not anything new- rebels (those of us from 60's-70's) but: I am really confused. White kids wearing cornrows and baggy sweats (to work) is this supposed to be cool now?.It looks ridiculous-
Good job! your right on this.

Old 04-04-2007, 08:11 AM

2,815 posts, read 12,983,593 times
I was just hearing that Hip Hop was declining rapidly now in "record" sales and it looks like the whole ugly movement that went with it may be following suit. I never see kids in baggy pants here and if I saw someone in cornrows, we'd all stare! I think all that stuff is on the way out.
I have noticed men are wearing their hair much longer, but there are still a lot of short hair cuts around too.
What I can't stand are enormous women or men crammed into clothes much too tight to hold their flowing bulk. Talk about a crack alert....
I saw a middle-aged woman topless on the beach in Spain with whom I presume was her husband and her Playboy Granny boobs were dragging in the sand while she applied suntan oil to her husband's back... I've never been able to erase the image, looked like two long brown leather sacks with the applicator at the end that bakery chefs use to apply fancy detail to cakes

Old 04-04-2007, 08:25 AM

942 posts, read 2,583,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoMark View Post
I was just hearing that Hip Hop was declining rapidly now in "record" sales and it looks like the whole ugly movement that went with it may be following suit. I never see kids in baggy pants here and if I saw someone in cornrows, we'd all stare! I think all that stuff is on the way out.
I have noticed men are wearing their hair much longer, but there are still a lot of short hair cuts around too.
What I can't stand are enormous women or men crammed into clothes much too tight to hold their flowing bulk. Talk about a crack alert....
I saw a middle-aged woman topless on the beach in Spain with whom I presume was her husband and her Playboy Granny boobs were dragging in the sand while she applied suntan oil to her husband's back... I've never been able to erase the image, looked like two long brown leather sacks with the applicator at the end that bakery chefs use to apply fancy detail to cakes

LOL!!! I completeley got a visual of when I was in Barcelona and saw the exact same thing!!!! I wonder if it was the same couple???

As for the "thug" dressware.... I can't wait until it goes out of style. My 15 yr old is notoriious for trying to sneak out of the house dressed like this. I am on door patrol constantly. He tries to wear his older brothers pants which doesn't fly well in this house. I actually took a picture of him the other day to save it so when he gets older he can see how rediculious he looks. Hes thin so it looks like a cartton pencil with clothes hanging. You know like the stick men. This is a constant fight in our home. Sometimes, he goes to the movies dressed well and returned in a completley different outfit. Im guessing his friends bring him ghetto clothes. Well to say the least cant wait til its over!!!

Old 04-04-2007, 08:33 AM

7,599 posts, read 18,403,189 times
Let em wear what they wanna wear! Yes it does look stupid with the ass of your jeans around your knees, but theyll find that out in time.

From 12 - 14 i wore 20 hole Doc martins, combats tucked inside and a bomber jacket and i had a skinhead. Was just about being that bit different for me. I woke up one morning and thought WTF do i look like ???? So now the only thing that remains is the skinhead. Though not 100% by choice. Parts of my head, well, im smooth as a baby's bottom!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics