Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you know of anybody that got hurt by a Nail Gun?
Yes 19 63.33%
No 11 36.67%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2007, 07:23 AM

4,494 posts, read 7,487,378 times

Advertisements

While starting new hours with a previous employer way back when, i accidentally put a 5" (or 6",I don't exactly remember) nail right through my second toe from the big toe through the two by four and four by four. My toe was basically compressed to the wood as i stood there alone in the 'wood-room' trying to pry the nail free from my foot.

I went to the medical room soon thereafter with a sawed-off 2x4 and a 4x4 compressed together on the bottom of my boot which ironically were steel-toed boots. The doctors there had plenty of jokes at my expense that day! Funny thing was that they didn't have the tools to do the job on my foot so they brainstormed as to what to do and came up with the idea to borrow some 'construction tools' from a crew who was working on site at the hospital. (hacksaw)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2007, 07:58 AM

9,986 posts, read 18,681,137 times
My husband was training a new framer and the guy shot my husband in the forarm, my husband passed out from the pain and had to go to the hospital to have it removed. And another time the gun kicked back on a knot in the wood and shot him in the hand.

Old 04-14-2007, 08:05 AM

4,279 posts, read 10,367,704 times
Oh lordy, this thread is most definitely not for the squeamish. It should have a warning symbol next to it on the main page

NYjetsfan ... ouch. I hate knees and your description gave me the heebeegeebees. How's ya knee feeling these days?

One of the roofers "nailed" himself pretty good. I heard the screams and obsenities come in loud and clear through the ceiling.

Old 04-14-2007, 08:49 AM

341 posts, read 1,488,010 times
The whole thing could be prevented if people would stop looking into the end of the nailguns, and saying "I wonder wut THIS thingy does" and pulling the trigger.

Old 04-14-2007, 09:07 AM

15,603 posts, read 39,862,999 times
coyote you just made my whole day!

Old 04-14-2007, 09:11 AM

3,020 posts, read 25,745,312 times
Default Naw, never been hurt by one

Like everything else pay attention to what you are doing. I have hit knots and had the nail get blown back out, pretty rare but it does happen. Flying splinters nick you every so often.

The really dangerous one are those power guns to shoot fastners in masonry, like cinder block walls. You have to know to post a guard on the other side of the wall. Sometimes they go right thru the entire wall. Peeps have gotten killed by being hit in the wrong spot.

Old 04-14-2007, 10:53 AM

177 posts, read 899,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic View Post
Like everything else pay attention to what you are doing. I have hit knots and had the nail get blown back out, pretty rare but it does happen. Flying splinters nick you every so often.

The really dangerous one are those power guns to shoot fastners in masonry, like cinder block walls. You have to know to post a guard on the other side of the wall. Sometimes they go right thru the entire wall. Peeps have gotten killed by being hit in the wrong spot.
This happened in a Mc Donalds in Fla. when I lived in Tampa in the 80s. Killed a girl on the other side of a wall.
Nail guns do not care what they shoot, wood, skin, bones. ect.

Old 04-14-2007, 10:59 AM

610 posts, read 3,322,113 times
A friend who is experiences at many trades was doing a job involving a nail-gun and accidentally shot a nail right thru the 1st joint of his index finger. About a 9D nail ... coated. He pulled it right out - slowly - and continued working and doctoring it for a month.
Owwwwwwwwwww-freaking-Owwwwwwwwwwww

Old 04-14-2007, 11:15 AM

3,020 posts, read 25,745,312 times
Default Yup, they got a guy in Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by rescue1 View Post
This happened in a Mc Donalds in Fla. when I lived in Tampa in the 80s. Killed a girl on the other side of a wall.
Nail guns do not care what they shoot, wood, skin, bones. ect.
Killed a guy in a barber chair in Texas. Got him thru the wall. I sort of wish they would go back to the nail sticks with the glue on them. That acted as a lube going in. Trying to shoot into this hard oak and pine it is a wonder I haven't put a nail somewhere in me. Jack that air pressure to 120# and still wind up having to whack it with a hammer.

If you are not experienced with one of those guns, use extreme care. Even those ones shooting brads, seen a lot of guys get the tip of those coming thru the other side. Lot of the hired help I never let touch a nail gun. Was the same thing with chop saws. Some peeps just scared the BeJesus out me with the methods they wanted to use. A good day is when you go home with both eyes, all your fingers and nothing sticking out of you.

Those collated nails on the last few in the gun are dangerous. Always add another stick before it gets too empty. Never shoot to completely empty.

Old 04-14-2007, 11:41 AM

15,603 posts, read 39,862,999 times
And wear safety glasses. And never shoot at squirrells or birds in the trees.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics