Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2010, 01:08 PM

8,746 posts, read 9,065,448 times

Advertisements

Today's Question(s):
The other day we talked about allowances and many mentioned doing chores in exchange for the allowance so ...

Was there one chore that was "your chore" that you actually enjoyed doing?

No way, I hated all chores equally!!...LOL

Bonus Question:

Can someone explain why I have no problems
_with multi-tasking____ an/or__helping solve complex issues___, but when it come to _fixing something simple (with a hammer and nails, etc.)__ yikes I feel like I am 3 ?

Extra Credit Question:

When was the last time you took a nice perambulate ?

It's been so long, I don't remember. Unless you use the second definition of that word: "to walk through or over". In that case I walked through some of my dog's poopie several days ago...yuck!!...LOL.

Just for Fun:

What was the last thing you ate, that came out of a can ?

Black-eyed peas.

What was the strangest "fad" diet you have ever tried ?

I've never been on a diet but since I keep gaining wait I seriously need to try one!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2010, 02:01 PM

1,995 posts, read 3,387,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum Mike View Post
A milk machine? Hmmm.. I hope I'm not milking this.. but is that like a Pepsi or a Coke machine that takes quarters or Dollar bills?
No, it was just like the ones in cafeterias where you press your glass against the lever. It was actually cheaper to buy in quantity like that rather than in cartons.

Old 01-19-2010, 02:04 PM

12,973 posts, read 3,232,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum Mike View Post
A milk machine? Hmmm.. I hope I'm not milking this.. but is that like a Pepsi or a Coke machine that takes quarters or Dollar bills?
Raising my hand!!!! Oh Oh Oh!! I know this answer!!!

NO!!! It does not take dollars and quarters!

It is filled with 5 gallon bags with little spouts that you load into the refrigerated cooler...the spouts hang out so when you lift the handle you can get a nice cold drink of milk. A milkman usually delivers....my ex's family had one when he was growing up and also the Head Start I worked for has one. Think of spring water machine...not soda machines!! UNDERSTAND????

Old 01-19-2010, 02:15 PM

25,449 posts, read 11,772,602 times
Today's Question(s):
The other day we talked about allowances and many mentioned doing chores in exchange for the allowance so ...

Was there one chore that was "your chore" that you actually enjoyed doing? Cleaning the kitchen. I kept it the way I wanted, and that was fun. I never really had many chores anyway... this was the biggest one.

Bonus Question:

Can someone explain why I have no problems _eating_ an/or_drinking_, but when it come to _typing_ yikes I feel like I am 3 ?

Extra Credit Question:

When was the last time you took a nice perambulate ? Couple of weeks ago... I don't walk around that often... it gets boring!

Just for Fun:

What was the last thing you ate, that came out of a can ? Pringles are in a can... so that.

What was the strangest "fad" diet you have ever tried ? The only diet that I have ever tried and did for an extended period of time was Slim-Fast.

Today in History:

1825 - Ezra Daggett and nephew Thomas Kensett patent food storage in tin cans
1903 - New bicycle race "Tour de France" announced
1915 - George Claude of Paris France, patented the neon tube advertising sign.
1953 - Sixty-eight percent of all TV sets in the U.S. were tuned to CBS-TV, as Lucy Ricardo of "I Love Lucy" gave birth to a baby boy The audience for the program was greater than that watching the inauguration of President Dwight D. Eisenhower the following day. That was a good show!

Word of the Day:
perambulate \puh-RAM-byuh-layt\ , intransitive verb;
1. To walk about; to roam; to stroll
transitive verb:
1. To walk through or over.

Today is:

National Popcorn Day
Rid the World of Fad Diets and Gimmicks Day
Tin Can Day
New Friends Day. Make a new friend Today
Junk Food News Alert Day
Hat Day

Old 01-19-2010, 02:48 PM

36,538 posts, read 16,120,395 times
Today's Question(s):

Ironing, hankies only, the rest was too hard.

Bonus Question:

Can someone explain why I have no problems _taking care of someone else_______ an/or_________, but when it comes to _____me...._____ yikes I feel like I am 3 ?

Extra Credit Question:

I need to do that soon.

Just for Fun:

Soup:)
What was the strangest "fad" diet you have ever tried ? Never went on fad diets.

Old 01-19-2010, 02:59 PM

3,646 posts, read 5,437,205 times
Let's see . . . I liked ironing the handkerchiefs, which another poster mentioned. I also liked dusting the living room. For some reason being in charge of the Pledge made me feel grown up. At my parent's dime store I loved weighing the candy. Unfortunately, I was relieved from this duty fairly quickly because I ate so much candy corn.

I'll have to give the bonus question some thought. My brain is sort of dead today.

It's been too long since I've taken a good walk outside. We had a very rainy fall in the Southeast, which is usually a beautiful season. I don't like cold weather so no walks in the winter. Now, walking from the computer to the kitchen is another story. That's a good walk . . . I just need to make it longer!

Your coconut project sounds like fun!

I used some canned corn to make corn pudding right after Christmas. It was delicious and I am posting the recipe on the recipe forum sometime today.

The strangest fad diet I ever tried was some type of extremely nasty pudding. I don't remember the name of it but it was in the early 80s. What's funny is I was very, very slender, but I was trying to fit some curves into a very straight skirt. I had an invitation to the inagural (that doesn't look like it's spelled correctly -- my brain is really dead!) ball for the Governor of Georgia and had borrowed a beautiful long black velvet skirt from a co-worker, but it was super straight!

Old 01-19-2010, 04:03 PM

4,348 posts, read 7,374,986 times

My chore was to feed the dog, it was always fun, and to this day I still like dogs.

Bonus Question:

Can someone explain why I have no problems understanding chemical processes an/or designing new processes, but when it come to teaching a person about chemistry I seem to lose them in a fog of numbers, yikes I feel like some sort of geek.

Extra Credit Question:

Like my dog I walk my marked area every day. Unlike my dog I don’t pee on every corner to keep others away, but it might not be such a bad idea now that I think about it.

Just for Fun:

Olives to go with my cheese

What was the strangest "fad" diet you have ever tried ?

I have just tried the protein diets, they work, and I can eat all the cheese I want, which makes it a good diet

Old 01-19-2010, 04:22 PM

54,505 posts, read 33,948,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MistyVT View Post
Raising my hand!!!! Oh Oh Oh!! I know this answer!!!

NO!!! It does not take dollars and quarters!

It is filled with 5 gallon bags with little spouts that you load into the refrigerated cooler...the spouts hang out so when you lift the handle you can get a nice cold drink of milk. A milkman usually delivers....my ex's family had one when he was growing up and also the Head Start I worked for has one. Think of spring water machine...not soda machines!! UNDERSTAND????
Shucks, I thought it was one of those natural machines that roamed out in the fields and ate grass, and it only said "Mooooo", and you squeezed its breast to get milk.. I think it's called a cow..

I tried to do that one time, but I made a mistake... that bull wasn't too happy when I tried to milk him.. and he chased me away....

Old 01-19-2010, 06:08 PM

44,728 posts, read 61,976,455 times
Mike, I beleive it's 'teats' on the 'udder' of the cow you squeeze to get the milk.
And what were you grabbing on that bull to make him unhappy...

Old 01-19-2010, 06:30 PM

4,596 posts, read 11,479,860 times
Default Hat Day? Every day IS Hat Day!

I love hats, and have worn them most of my life. I suppose while some women become "the crazy cat lady" in old age, I'll more than likely come to be known as the "crazy hat lady."

Let's see: chores I had that I actually liked? Well, none growing up -- or rather, none of the chores ever really bothered me. It was easier to get things done than to get restricted for not doing them, or getting lectured and beat for mouthing-off or griping about them. My father, you'll recall, was an ex-Marine corps drill sergeant, and he treated us three girls like recruits. It could be pretty miserable sometimes.

Now, as a young woman, I was a waitress at a nice seafood restaurant on the NC coast, and the hostess (who assigned extra duties or chores like rolling silver, cleaning the bathrooms, etc.) disliked me intensely. Without fail, she would assign me the soup pots, which were THE worst. By 11:00 p.m., the soup pots would be so crudded-up, it would take almost an hour to get them clean, which meant scrubbing them with steel wool. All the waitresses absolutely hated the soup pots! But what Ms. Priss Hostess didn't realize, was the the cooks liked me quite a bit, and felt sorry for me, being assigned soup pots 98% of the time, so, at the end of the evening, they would pour the soup into the fridge containers, put it away, and s-o-a-k the pots for me. It was a breeze by the time I got to the back to them. . . and I was always the first waitress out the door, much to the chagrin of the hostess. I would be pleasant, smile, and say, "Good night!"

Do I perambulate? As a matter of fact, several times a day you can find me perambulating. When I was a young Mommy, I would often perambulate with my little one in a nice perambulator!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics