Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Paganism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2008, 12:45 PM

790 posts, read 4,019,977 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNT_Eagle View Post
I really didn't accuse Oprah of saying anything about beastiality; I was making a generalization. Please don't twist what I'm saying. Also, regarding her christian faith, she has clearly stated in the past that her view of God is NOT what is said in the bible, although she claims to be a christian. It's not Christ plus new age. If she's a christian, she'd have no problem saying that Christ is the only way to God.
There are many different kinds of Christians. There are mystical/esoteric Christians (for example) that are in the truth and light of Christ as much as (more?) than fundamentalist Christians (for example) and who do not use (mis-use) the bible in the way that so many so-called Christians do.
No-one can claim Christ as their own "private property" or proclaim that their way of being in relationship with Christ is superior to anyone else's way.(well you can but its very silly.) You don't own the Way and if you want to use the bible, in whatever way, to guide your life, fine. But it's not the only Way of Christ.
And not only is the bible dangerously mis-used but you're reading a book that has lost soooooooo much in translation. If you read the bible in the original Aramaic you would not even recognize much of your "holy" book.
So go ahead and use that bible of yours in any way that you choose but don't impose your will on anyone else. I know that's probably asking too much .... sigh.
It's really difficult (impossible actually) to have an open and free conversation with someone who has been indoctrinated and who is enclosed in a tight box of dogma.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2008, 12:57 PM

4,897 posts, read 18,493,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubyskye View Post
There are many different kinds of Christians. There are mystical/esoteric Christians (for example) that are in the truth and light of Christ as much as (more?) than fundamentalist Christians (for example) and who do not use (mis-use) the bible in the way that so many so-called Christians do.
No-one can claim Christ as their own "private property" or proclaim that their way of being in relationship with Christ is superior to anyone else's way.(well you can but its very silly.) You don't own the Way and if you want to use the bible, in whatever way, to guide your life, fine. But it's not the only Way of Christ.
And not only is the bible dangerously mis-used but you're reading a book that has lost soooooooo much in translation. If you read the bible in the original Aramaic you would not even recognize much of your "holy" book.
So go ahead and use that bible of yours in any way that you choose but don't impose your will on anyone else. I know that's probably asking too much .... sigh.
It's really difficult (impossible actually) to have an open and free conversation with someone who has been indoctrinated and who is enclosed in a tight box of dogma.
well said Rubyskye!

Old 04-04-2008, 01:45 PM

1,197 posts, read 3,582,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubyskye View Post
????
No, I don't own the way. I just know what the bible says that Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life, and no one comes to God but by Him and him alone. The bible stands by itself as it's been proven and tested throughout the ages. I'm not trying to use a certain bible, there's only one. Sorry you feel that I've been indoctrinated and that I'm enclosed in a tight box of dogma, but one either believes the bible to be true or not. There's no middle ground here.

Good day

Old 04-04-2008, 01:57 PM

12 posts, read 26,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolac View Post
Oprah and Friends are broadcasting in a daily satellite radio series the book "A Course In Miracles" which started 1/1/08 and runs the entire year with 365 lessons. The "Course" was written by Helen Schucman, a medical psych professor at Columbia in the mid to late 60's, but it wasn't published until the 70's. She claims "Jesus" came to her and told her to write this book because He knew the end times would be very hard for people and He wanted to make it easier for them to believe.

The "Course" talks all around Christ's principles, such as love, mercy, peace, but dispels the sacrifice of Christ and repentence of sin required to be a follower of Christ. It is touted to be a self-study program of spiritual psychotherapy. There is no need to seek forgiveness for sins because "there is no sin," the "slain Christ has no meaning," there is no evil, no Satan, and claims that "salvation comes from me." "I am the light of the world," rather than Jesus being the light of the world. Very New Age.

I have really seen Oprah do some great things. I am greatly concerned about this though.
It's times like these when we have to decide where we are going to get our answers from. Are we going to have a conversation with culture and people of the world about what is truth, or are we going to go to the Bible for answers. We can't do both. Choose this day whom you will serve. One way leads to death, and one way leads to life. Oprah may have done some "great things," but they are all in vain because they are not done to the glory of God. God doesn't care if Oprah gives away free cars on her show, or donates money to poor families, or any other things the world considers "acts of goodness." He looks at the heart. Oprah's recommended books and courses are nothing but a distraction from the truth, and the Bible warns about these such things. As Christians, followers of the One True God, we need to be awake at times like these and hold firm to the Truth of the Bible. If we don't know what we believe, we will fall for anything. Jesus says I am the Way the Truth and the Life, no one comes to the Father except through me.

Old 04-04-2008, 02:27 PM

790 posts, read 4,019,977 times
Quote:
????
No, I don't own the way. I just know what the bible says that Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life, and no one comes to God but by Him and him alone. The bible stands by itself as it's been proven and tested throughout the ages. I'm not trying to use a certain bible, there's only one. Sorry you feel that I've been indoctrinated and that I'm enclosed in a tight box of dogma, but one either believes the bible to be true or not. There's no middle ground here.

Good day
I don't know what you mean about the bible being proven and tested.
In what way?
Do you understand that the translation of the bible that you're reading is not the original translation and that the original words are very, very, very different than what you are reading and accepting as "Gods word"? If you even began to contemplate that truth, your foundation would begin to crumble. That is not to say that you'd lose the love and light of Christ however. If you accept that Christ is the Life, the Truth and the Way do you actually think that would no longer be so if every single bible in the world was burned to ashes?
And yes, you have been indoctrinated. And you are working within a belief system that is just that .... a belief system.
There is life beyond belief.
And, as i see it, it's o.k. that you're working within a belief system but if you have no objectivity that this is so and, on top of that, you insist that your belief system is superior to the belief system of someone else then you are in error, believe it or not.
And i doubt that you have interpreted that bible that you're reading by yourself. You have, i imagine (could be wrong) been told from a very young age how to interpret those teachings. And those teachings have been mistranslated and mistranslated and misinterpreted and passed on down through the years by very faulty and impure human beings that often had/have their own selfish agendas as their motivation and they have been very clever in misusing the bible to control and dominate and lead and mislead innocent people with relatively immature minds.
So as i see it, you're not only reading a bible that's not so accurate in terms of translation but you're depending on very faulty humans to tell you what those words (that aren't even ORIGINal) mean.
But whatever you're doing, if it's helping you to be more loving, tolerant, compassionate, understanding, charitable, non-judgmental, etc., etc. than that's a good thing. (Everyone needs love and acceptance and also, it keeps the social cogs running smoothly ... keeps people in line.)
But often this just isn't the case. Just the opposite. So many so-called Christians use (mis-use) the bible to justify and rationalize their fearful, hating, judgmental, intolerant and ignorant hearts and minds and even to the point of killing each other.
How is that following the teachings and example of Jesus who you hold so dear?

Old 04-04-2008, 02:33 PM

1,197 posts, read 3,582,995 times
Again, I'm just stating that the only true God is the God of the bible. I'm really having a hard time what you're trying to explain to me, rubysky

I'll be praying for you that the God of the scriptures will reveal himself to you through His son Jesus Christ.
Take care

Old 04-04-2008, 02:35 PM

3,091 posts, read 3,967,872 times
You are exactly correct. Positive rep to you. It is because of who Oprah is and her influence that I am concerned about and the path being taken by many who listen to her. As for me and my family, we will serve the Lord. Thanks for your words of wisdom.

Quote:
Originally Posted by voiceoftruth View Post
It's times like these when we have to decide where we are going to get our answers from.

Old 04-04-2008, 02:42 PM

23,016 posts, read 34,387,993 times
Quote:
????

Good day
I believe the Bible to be true and does not need to be defended. I also agree with you that Jesus is the ONLY way.

Old 04-04-2008, 03:07 PM

4,897 posts, read 18,493,158 times
isnt it wonderful how we can all believe what we like? after all that is the premice of this country...
yes time and time again i hear the same things from the same people "Jesus is the ONLY
way"
and once again i repeat--you are not the only one's getting into heaven.
Jesus does not exclude anyone, and there is more than one way to love and serve God.
luckily your judgements are not the one's that count.
some of you are just repeating verbatum what you hear at your Sunday service...

Old 04-04-2008, 03:12 PM

23,016 posts, read 34,387,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by findinghope View Post
isnt it wonderful how we can all believe what we like? after all that is the premice of this country...
yes time and time again i hear the same things from the same people "Jesus is the ONLY
way"
and once again i repeat--you are not the only one's getting into heaven.
Jesus does not exclude anyone, and there is more than one way to love and serve God.
luckily your judgements are not the one's that count.
some of you are just repeating verbatum what you hear at your Sunday service...
You are right, it is wonderful that we live in a country where we are free to worship how we chose and freely express our thoughts and beliefs about God.
But according to the Bible, there is only ONE way to Heaven and that is through Jesus. And Jesus is the one who said He is the only way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Paganism