Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2010, 07:43 PM

2,605 posts, read 4,694,020 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyB View Post
So previously you said that kids don't like the limelight, now you say some do?

Kids are people. For every spotty insecure teenager hiding out there is another who just HAS to be front and center in the sports field or another who HAS to be in the school play, or another who HAS to make jokes in class. Saying that all teenagers don't like attention is a gross generalization made to demonize this girl and her family in order to justify your obviously extreme displeasure at her choice.
I have kids and surprisingly enough, like most here, I went to high school and actually was a teenager myself once. I'm well aware of what they are like.

If all Abby Sunderland wanted was a quick shot at fame all she had to do was post suggestive videos of herself on Youtube, claim to sleep with someone famous or try out for reality TV.
3 years of hard training, working to find sponsors and spending months alone at sea seems to be a little more than famewhoring.

She deserves respect for showing grit, perseverance and work ethic, even if you don't agree with her actions.
First, I said most who like the spotlight do for a selective audience, not national.

Second, I never said I didn't like HER actions, I have a problem with her PARENTS actions. I believe a good portion of what the girl did was by plan of her parents, or THEY wouldn't be on national news talking about it. I don't think it warrants national news. Local, yes. National, no, or she did it for the wrong reasons.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2010, 09:07 PM

1,820 posts, read 4,493,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaykay View Post
I agree. There is another thread in other forums speaking about the same issue here.

Allowing your SIXTEEN year old child to go into the middle of the ocean ,alone, on a sailboat, to sail around the world?? it seems a bit irresponsible as parents.

Old 06-13-2010, 06:43 AM

1,492 posts, read 3,234,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYMD67 View Post
Allowing your SIXTEEN year old child to go into the middle of the ocean ,alone, on a sailboat, to sail around the world?? it seems a bit irresponsible as parents.
irrisponsible....?
or just unusual?

Old 06-13-2010, 07:53 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,707,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoExcuses View Post
you let them go.

There are two things that I can't get off my mind concerning things like this trip, the prior trip by the Austrailian, the 13 year old Dutch girl who was about to make the same attempt, the 13 year old boy who climbed the mountain a short time ago.

1. I can't imagine my child coming up with an idea like that all by herself, much less her parents agreeing to fund such an outlandish folly.

2. With the amount of manpower and planes, and boats/ships used in this search and rescue effort in the past few days, the bottom line is going to be astronomical. WHO IS GOING TO PAY????

The Australian plane that located her, found her 2000 miles off their coast. That won't be a cheap flight. Not to mention everybody else who has been looking, now rescuing.
The parents ought to pay for the rescue. It was their foolishness that led to all this.

Old 06-13-2010, 07:56 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,707,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoExcuses View Post
First, I said most who like the spotlight do for a selective audience, not national.

Second, I never said I didn't like HER actions, I have a problem with her PARENTS actions. I believe a good portion of what the girl did was by plan of her parents, or THEY wouldn't be on national news talking about it. I don't think it warrants national news. Local, yes. National, no, or she did it for the wrong reasons.
Obviously this was for the parents -- or who else paid for her boat, her trip? This isn't a 16 year old with a job being taught responsibility. The parents get their 15 minutes of fame, of course they hoped their daughter could have succeeded and they could be bragging but they still get their camera time nonetheless so it was money well spent in their mind.

Old 06-13-2010, 02:26 PM

3,842 posts, read 10,513,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Obviously this was for the parents -- or who else paid for her boat, her trip? This isn't a 16 year old with a job being taught responsibility. The parents get their 15 minutes of fame, of course they hoped their daughter could have succeeded and they could be bragging but they still get their camera time nonetheless so it was money well spent in their mind.
So, the teenage girl cashier who was texting as I was bagging the groceries this AM is that much more responsible?

Her parents were not on the boat for the past 6 months, so someone had to sail the thing.

Don't worry, people are demanding the parents be brought up on child abuse & child endangerment charges.

As down the street some 16yr old is sleeping around under her parents watch and smoking pot behind the gas station...oh, yeah, but as long as she has a part-time job at WalGreens, let's just let it slide & pat the parents on the back!

Old 06-13-2010, 04:13 PM

2,883 posts, read 5,892,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 121804 View Post
She is not suppose to be independent & free spirited. She is suppose to be working at Target and looking bored in math class. What she has experienced in 6 months, regardless of cost, is far more to criticize than her peers who are bored out of their minds 2 weeks into summer vacation, have no clue where the Indian Ocean is, and will sluggishly walk into their summer job making sure customers hear how much they hate working there & how their parents suck b/c they can't have the car.

It was a poorly chosen route & certain things could have been much better planned.

People are angry for many reasons, all which to an extent, are justifiable.

I just want to see the same level of anger at parents whose 16yr old daughters LACK any motivation or care & speak crap about everything around them...oh, no, can't do that, b/c in this society, THAT is what a 16yr old girl is suppose to do & better back off the parents b/c they'll say how they've tried but "she is a teenager..." .
Its inward anger and jealousy, and a sign of the times.

Remember Baby Jessica falling down into a well? How much did that cost? Or Mt Everest rescues. Or anything.

I bet there have been many climbers of mt everest who have "pushed the boundaries", stayed too long at a certain place, risked going at the wrong time, etc. But the details of this story have been so well publicized.

Kids do stupid things all the time and have to be rescued. Skateboarding without a helmet? Driving without seatbelts? Driving while talking on a cell phone, or texting? Much more pressing issues than some girl from a sailing family who got caught up in a storm. Its a symptom of this 24 hour "news" cycle, where "news" has to be constantly generated.

Child abuse and endangerment charges?!!? I have to laugh. I dont know why age has become such a big deal here. The storm didnt care if she was 16 or 23, or 29. Are they saying with more experience, she could have handled the storm.

Old 06-13-2010, 06:02 PM

1,492 posts, read 3,234,312 times
I think the best thing is to keep our kids indoors until they are 32.
Then just to protect them we will arrange the marriage.
And we will sue anyone who does stuff differently.
We will criticise anyone who does not protect their little dears to the nth degree.

On second thoughts makethat 42 bacause at 32 they may not be responsible enough, given of course that they have had no life experience.

This thread more than anything has convinced me of how people have cotten wooled kids. They have this idea that protecting them from all forms of danger is somehow doing them a favour.

As I think about it the phrase better to have loved and lost than never loved at all comes to mind in a slightly modified way.

Better to have lived and lost (ie died) than never lived at all.

If my kid wants to do something dangerous, then I will support them and help them identify the dangers and if they die in the attempt well they dies doing something that they wanted to do.

Old 06-14-2010, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
I just heard on the news this morning that the family has been preparing to launch their own reality show because they have a number of children, they homeschool and their kids do things. The timing of this was to enter that world, as was that fiasco of the balloon boy.

Old 06-14-2010, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 121804 View Post
So, the teenage girl cashier who was texting as I was bagging the groceries this AM is that much more responsible?
That's funny. I NEVER bag my own groceries. Had a bagger been texting while I waited, she wouldn't have done it more than a few seconds. I would have said something to her, then her boss.
Quote:
Originally Posted by John23 View Post
Its inward anger and jealousy, and a sign of the times.

Remember Baby Jessica falling down into a well? How much did that cost? Or Mt Everest rescues. Or anything.

I bet there have been many climbers of mt everest who have "pushed the boundaries", stayed too long at a certain place, risked going at the wrong time, etc. But the details of this story have been so well publicized.

Kids do stupid things all the time and have to be rescued. Skateboarding without a helmet? Driving without seatbelts? Driving while talking on a cell phone, or texting? Much more pressing issues than some girl from a sailing family who got caught up in a storm. Its a symptom of this 24 hour "news" cycle, where "news" has to be constantly generated.

Child abuse and endangerment charges?!!? I have to laugh. I dont know why age has become such a big deal here. The storm didnt care if she was 16 or 23, or 29. Are they saying with more experience, she could have handled the storm.
Ho hum...

You apparently don't know the difference between blatantly putting yourself or someone else in danger, and an accident going about your daily business.

When you blatantly put yourself or someone else in danger, you should be prepared and willing to pay the expense of search and rescue.

The girl didn't go out on that trip without a tremendous amount of help from her father. He, in turn should be willing and able to foot the bill for what happened to her.

How would you feel if it was someone close to you who fell overboard into the ocean during that girl's rescue and nearly died? I'm sure if there was a life lost in the attempt to save her, people couldn't look at is so non-chalantly.

And about the texting while driving or lack of use of seatbelts, etc.. Those people usually get a bill for the ambulance and other charges for their rescue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting