Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you let her attend the "pit party"?
No, absolutely not. How irresponsible! 89 82.41%
Yes, but she would not be allowed to drink. 14 12.96%
Yes, I would let her drink, but not get drunk 5 4.63%
Yes, I would let her get drunk, kids will be kids 0 0%
Voters: 108. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2010, 05:30 PM

7,639 posts, read 18,127,435 times

Advertisements

Your 16 year old, who recently finished her sophomore year of high school, wants to attend a "pit party" where alcohol will be present. For those of you city folk who do not know, a "pit party" is an outdoor party, usually a bonfire held in an out-of-way location (such as a gravel pit) to evade detection, where high school-aged teenagers gather to socialize and consume alcohol, usually with no adult supervision. Would you let her go if it is down the road from where you live (within walking distance)?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2010, 05:33 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,788,282 times
1. I wouldn't *let* my 16 year old go to any unsupervised party.
2. I wouldn't *let* my 16 year old go to any event where teenagers would gather to consume alcohol.

I wouldn't *let* anyone under the legal drinking age go to any party where I know, or are led to believe, alcohol will be made available to said child.

Old 06-30-2010, 05:38 PM

16,076 posts, read 21,154,079 times
I might trust my child to behave responsibly at such a gathering, but I have no idea how the other kids present might behave, so NO. Too risky.

Old 06-30-2010, 06:23 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,748,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdxer View Post
Your 16 year old, who recently finished her sophomore year of high school, wants to attend a "pit party" where alcohol will be present. For those of you city folk who do not know, a "pit party" is an outdoor party, usually a bonfire held in an out-of-way location (such as a gravel pit) to evade detection, where high school-aged teenagers gather to socialize and consume alcohol, usually with no adult supervision. Would you let her go if it is down the road from where you live (within walking distance)?
I'm 22 and I think any parent who would allow this needs to be slapped. This is just asking for trouble.

Old 06-30-2010, 06:51 PM

3,430 posts, read 4,337,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdxer View Post

No way in hell.

Old 06-30-2010, 06:57 PM

4,507 posts, read 9,064,272 times
WTHeck. Of course I would not let my 16 year old teens go to a drinking party, supervised or not. What kind of parent lets their kids do that??

Further, if I knew of such a party where underage drinking is taking place I would report it to the police.

Old 06-30-2010, 06:57 PM

1,429 posts, read 4,283,569 times
I think it depends on the child. My (then 15) son purchased his pit pass for a rock concert last summer. It was an all day festival. I had lawn seats. I trust my son. He has no curiosity with alcohol. He has asked his friends about why they drink, they tell him to be free, loose inhibitions or something similar. Son say to me, "mom, I don't need to drink to be free or comfortable with who I am" He was offered many 'a beer in that pit, he turned them down politely. My son, yes I would allow him to go. But that is just him, I can see my youngest being more succeptible to peer pressure and the need to fit in, for that child, even at 18, no.

Old 06-30-2010, 07:04 PM

3,430 posts, read 4,337,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinmomma View Post
I think it depends on the child. My (then 15) son purchased his pit pass for a rock concert last summer. It was an all day festival. I had lawn seats. I trust my son. He has no curiosity with alcohol. He has asked his friends about why they drink, they tell him to be free, loose inhibitions or something similar. Son say to me, "mom, I don't need to drink to be free or comfortable with who I am" He was offered many 'a beer in that pit, he turned them down politely. My son, yes I would allow him to go. But that is just him, I can see my youngest being more succeptible to peer pressure and the need to fit in, for that child, even at 18, no.

I don't think it depends on the child. Bottom line: your son is underage. I don't care if he's the most mature teenager on the face of the earth. He is NOT an adult and it is YOUR responsibility to keep him from harm. Letting him go to pit parties is asking for trouble.
Children need boundaries. Also you can't control other people's behaviour. Your son may not start problems there but some drunk teen may decided to start a fight with him for no reason.

Old 06-30-2010, 07:16 PM

1,429 posts, read 4,283,569 times
I could stick my head in the sand and refuse to give him the responsibility of making his own choices. Choices that in two short years he will not have to confer with me about. I could send him to college without the skills to deal with drunken frat brats.

No, I cannot control outside influences. Some drunk starts a fight, not with the skills my son has at avoiding conflict, but for the sake of argument.... have you ever seen a drunk fight? lol it is quite amusing.

Do I agree that there should be such parties, no I do not. But I am not going to ignore that they do happen. I can betcha that most kids don't ask permission to go such shin-digs, they just ask to stay over at Suzie's house.

My children do have boundries. They know where the line is. They know not to cross momma. But at my oldest's age, I am not going to be beside him every time he walks out the door. Until he does something to cause alarm (drnking is a big not gonna happen in my home), I trust him to take care of his own business.

Old 06-30-2010, 07:41 PM

1,476 posts, read 2,025,220 times
I voted no. But then my kids wouldn't want to attend it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting