Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-06-2010, 11:47 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,084,735 times

Advertisements

I believe in setting boundaries but I also believe OP was a bit overboard in punishment. Maybe the kid was trying to be cool by using language he typically uses with his friends. He didn't actually say the word- that would have warranted a rap in the mouth.

Years ago when the word "Sucks" came into vogue, I was horrified. In my day it was "She sucks ----" and that was not a nice thing to say so I still have problems with the common usage of that word. When my teenager started using it I flipped out but sat down and explained to him my experience with the word and how uncomfortable I was with it. He understood and promised not to use it in front of me. Now you see it on shirts, billboards, etc but the original usage still sticks with me.

Now the F word is pretty commmon too. We now hear "pissed off" or "pissed" on daytime TV but it still bothers me. Guess it is what you grow up with which makes a word bad. In high school I got suspended for writing a note to a friend with the word "crap" in it. How many times do you hear that all over the place?

Old 08-06-2010, 11:49 AM

6,777 posts, read 13,553,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by haggardhouseelf View Post
The "it" thing might stem from being Southern. (I'm assuming the OP is from the South.) I am from the Southern part of the U.S., and my mother and her relatives are "plain white trash" from the Louisianna area (they often act proud of being white trash, or "country people", so I feel OK in calling it what it is) and they often refer to their kids as "mouths to feed" or "it" and they have used expressions before such as the one the OP used "This child has lost its mind!"

I guess that's why it didn't seem odd to me that the OP referred to her child as an "it". It's done where I'm from quite a bit. As a child growing up, and being a sensitive child and feeling totally outcast (I was the black sheep mouth to feed, I was constantly labeled "spoiled" simply because I didn't like the way we lived) it always sort of hurt me when people - especially my mother - used those sorts of references. So my husband and I are careful not to do that. But I think it's still a normal and socially acceptable way of referring to your kids in some parts of the country.
She's from NY.

Old 08-06-2010, 12:50 PM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,084 posts, read 12,683,905 times
I think the OP used "it" because she didn't want to reveal the kid's gender, for privacy or whatever reason. No use reading anything more into it.

Back on-topic, please.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Georgia Peach View Post
This afternoon my 15 year old was using the family laptop.

I needed to use it for a few minutes and kid got off with no problem
after I advised I would only be on for a few minutes.

Why did this child approach me after about 10 mins and say "GTFO" in jest?

I think this kid thought I didn't know what "GTFO" meant?

I immediately relieve this kid of not only the laptop, but nintendo, t.v., swimming privileges, etc. until further notice.

I sat down and explained that this was a gross act of "disrespect" and that it is totally "unacceptable".

I further explained that by law, I am only required to provide food, clothing and shelter and that as of today that is all that would be provided.

I have to admit that I am really pissed. Thanks for listening to my rant.

Sheeeesh Teenagers!

Old 08-06-2010, 01:08 PM

4,507 posts, read 9,063,398 times
Moderator cut: removed

And, LOL at the thought that all of the parents where who would have responded with less vigor are feeding the future prison population. I doubt my kids would ever say GTFO to me, even in a joking manner, but if they do I'll handle it as I described here. It's absurd to think it would put them on the path to prison.

Seriously, we're not talking about a juvenile delinquent but a generally well behaved and respectful kid (as OP described) who wasn't being defiant or disrespectful or testing the boundaries, he/she was joking and OP said so. Granted, it was inappropriate but I think it has been spelled out several times already why he/she might have not understood that it would be inappropriate. HIS/HER mother set the example by using the same sort of language!!! Do as I say and not as I do type rules make the boundaries harder to define.

Regardless, haven't we ALL said the wrong thing at the wrong time at point? It's no fun having to walk on eggshells around overly sensitive and overreacting types. Who wants to live with that??

Moderator cut: removed

Last edited by houstoner; 08-06-2010 at 01:37 PM.. Reason: let's stay on-topic

Old 08-06-2010, 03:41 PM

6,066 posts, read 15,049,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sophialee View Post
She's from NY.
Oh. The username had me thinking she was from Georgia. Oh well...

Old 08-06-2010, 04:56 PM

117 posts, read 266,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
Has it apologized yet?

"It" has, actually the same night.....a few hours later.

Old 08-06-2010, 05:07 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,305,403 times
Quote:
Wouldn't waste $0.01 for it. LOL! It's not that deep.

I don't and never will understand this mindset.

Old 08-06-2010, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Apparently you have nothing of substance to add to your argument either. Oh well....

::yawn::

LOL ! No "argument" here. Never has been, never will be.

I laid down the law in "my house", as I saw fit. Period, point blank.

Old 08-06-2010, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
I don't and never will understand this mindset.
Don't loose "a wink of sleep tryin"! LOL !

Old 08-06-2010, 05:19 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,305,403 times
Quote:
LOL ! No "argument" here. Never has been, never will be.

I laid down the law in "my house", as I saw fit. Period, point blank.

Take a look around your screen. Done? THIS here? This forum? Isn't your house, ok?

You posted this here for a reason and you simply cannot expect everyone to silently agree with you on a message board. If you didn't want people to comment critically about your choices and this situation, why the heck did you post it here? To get a pat on the back?

You still haven't answered my previous post.
Quote:
So there is no middle on this spectrum?:

Friend ----------------------------------------------------------Parent

There is no way in hell you could possibly effectively parent, yet have a good relationship with your child where sharing jokes, laughing, crying, arguing, etc are part of the equation?

I'm not buying.
I'd love to see what you have to say about this. I think it's very telling that you are just coming up with these empty posts that lack any kind of substance in response to real questions.

Again, why did you even post here?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting