Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2010, 05:05 PM

4,471 posts, read 9,836,582 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
It's not a debate. 121804 made an important point. College school supplies cost well over $1,000 per year!

That sure puts into perspective how affordable school supplies are in the younger years.
Exactly! Especially since I am at fashion school. It really really adds up. I wish i could just buy some loose leaf paper and 60 HP pencils. The pencils I need at $3 each and you need 10 of them.

Old 08-28-2010, 05:11 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,061,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
ALL municipalities have educational budgets. They all have funds that are used specifically and exclusively for education, and those funds are paid for by a combination of property tax, income tax, and federal grants (which are also paid by income tax). Everyone who pays tax, pays for that already-existing educational budget.
The existing budget is based on the taxes available.

Quote:
Parents who move to town for the first time, with 3 kids, are getting the benefit of an educational budget that has been supported by the people who have lived their all their lives.
And the family that bought their old house has the same benefit.

Quote:
Renters don't pay ANY property tax, but their kids get the specific education in that specific town, courtesy of everyone who DOES pay property tax.
That's absolutely not true. Renters pay property tax in the rent they pay. Property tax is factored into the cost of the rent.

Quote:
But a free education doesn't necessarily require a free ride to the location of that education.
Depends on your specific state laws.

In my state, school districts are even required to provide transportation to children who attend private schools that are within 10 miles of the district's borders.

Yep, even private school students receive "free" rides to school because their parents pay property taxes.

It's state law.

Old 08-28-2010, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
property values are higher in places with good schools. that benefits everyone who lives there, not just the families with kids.
Yep! And another benefit is tax rates are lower where property values are higher. With higher property values, school districts can tax at a lower percentage to get the money.

There are lots of benefits for all residents of good school districts. Some people without children refuse to realize those benefits.

Parents will purchase houses in school districts that provide the most services, and property values decline in the districts with the least services.

Property values also decline in areas where mostly elderly live because those neighborhoods aren't as desirable to the majority of home buyers, families with children.

Old 08-28-2010, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiogirl22 View Post
Exactly! Especially since I am at fashion school. It really really adds up. I wish i could just buy some loose leaf paper and 60 HP pencils. The pencils I need at $3 each and you need 10 of them.
Do you have to buy your own fabric too? That would really add up!

Old 08-28-2010, 06:27 PM

2,080 posts, read 4,845,910 times
Quote:
Yep! And another benefit is tax rates are lower where property values are higher. With higher property values, school districts can tax at a lower percentage to get the money.
Tax rates may be lower but property values are assessed higher so usually there is no break for tax rates where there are higher property values.

Old 08-28-2010, 06:27 PM

3,430 posts, read 4,337,479 times
Quote:
It's not a debate. 121804 made an important point. College school supplies cost well over $1,000 per year!

That sure puts into perspective how affordable school supplies are in the younger years.
I don't think it relates to this thread. I wasn't talking about college school supplies. I was talking about elementary school supplies. By the time the kids go to college you would think they would be able to pay for some of their school supplies and it is a given that college supplies are expensive. I know all about it. I was not interested in talking about college school supplies. College is not mandatory.

Old 08-28-2010, 06:53 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,176,449 times
we had supply lists at the end of last year. If I had felt like it, or wanted to budget, or whatever, I could have spread out purchases over the whole summer.

Old 08-28-2010, 10:32 PM

1,163 posts, read 1,995,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisalan View Post
I live in Canada in the province of Ontario. I don't know if this is going on in the US or just here but the price of school supplies is ridiculous. Last year when my son was in grade 1 it cost me about 70.00. This year I'm well over that at about 85.00.
Why is it that when I was in school we hardly had to buy anything. Most of the supplies were provided by the school.
So I'm going to list what I was required to buy for grade 2 and welcome any opinions on whether this is normal or excessive:

1. 10 plastic duotangs with inside pockets (not easy to find, only found 3 at walmart then had to go to Staples for the rest these things cost around 2.50 for 1 of them and I couldn't even find anymore. Staples only had ones that were made of paper and even those were 1.50 + each....oh and they had to be specific colours white, yellow, green, turquoise, red navy and orange)
2. 10 freaking gluesticks....why 10 gluesticks....couldn't we be asked to by 2 and if he runs out buy more?
3. 1 pair of pointed scissors (when I was in school these were provided oh and so was the glue)
4. 1 box of kleenex 144 sheets
5. 1 box of large ziploc bags
6. 2 highlighters
7. 1 pack of post it notes
8. 30 sharpened hb pencils and they specify you can't buy dollar store ones
9. 1 pack of crayons
10. one pack of pencil crayons
11. 1 pencil case
12. 3 staedtler sharpeners
13. 4 staedtler erasers
14. 1 clear ruler

And I'm sure I'm forgetting something. I'm surprised they didn't ask me to provide a desk, a chair and a computer.
Lol, at some point, they will! It seems like schools in general are not being funded as much as they used to be. Mind you, I was in elementary school in the mid to late 90's, a good financial period in US history. More tax amount: more school funding, I guess. UPDATE: Just double-checked with Mom...nope, she never had to buy as many school supplies as parents do today for their children. That's what I had thought. I'm both shocked and appalled that you had to spend $85 on school supplies. I hope that wasn't just for one child.

The list sounds a little excessive...specific crayon colors, post-it notes, TEN folders AND glue sticks? And notebooks weren't even included on your list. Do kids even have ten classes to deal with (for the 10 folders)? Also, the post-it notes sound like a waste. It also sucks that you cannot buy the dollar store pencils. Kids would probably just stick them on each other, lol! What's next, parents have to buy the textbooks and workbooks too? If teachers are going to present a list, they should at least a little more considerate of the wallet and ask for supplies that are 100% essential for students to bring in.

Thank goodness I won't have any kids...for a very very long time! Need to save me some $$$!

Old 08-28-2010, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stressedCollegeGirl89 View Post
Lol, at some point, they will! It seems like schools in general are not being funded as much as they used to be. Mind you, I was in elementary school in the mid to late 90's, a good financial period in US history. More tax amount: more school funding, I guess. UPDATE: Just double-checked with Mom...nope, she never had to buy as many school supplies as parents do today for their children. That's what I had thought. I'm both shocked and appalled that you had to spend $85 on school supplies. I hope that wasn't just for one child.

The list sounds a little excessive...specific crayon colors, post-it notes, TEN folders AND glue sticks? And notebooks weren't even included on your list. Do kids even have ten classes to deal with (for the 10 folders)? Also, the post-it notes sound like a waste. It also sucks that you cannot buy the dollar store pencils. Kids would probably just stick them on each other, lol! What's next, parents have to buy the textbooks and workbooks too? If teachers are going to present a list, they should at least a little more considerate of the wallet and ask for supplies that are 100% essential for students to bring in.

Thank goodness I won't have any kids...for a very very long time! Need to save me some $$$!

Thank-you for understanding and for posting something that actually realtes to my threadOh and yes it was just for one child. You are a very intelligent poster. Oh and it was actually more than 85.00.

Old 08-28-2010, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hypocore View Post
As I posted earler, the list of school supplies in the OP can be bought for less than $15.00. So, no, school supplies are not ridiculous in cost for those who invest a little time and effort.

OKKKKKKKK. No they cannot be bought for 15.00. I live in Canada. The prices are not the same. I could have bought the duotangs only for that amount of money. Oh and that's if I got the cheapest ones. They asked me for PLASTIC ones with pockets which run at least 1.35 each where I live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting