Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-04-2010, 04:51 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,834,066 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiogirl22 View Post
How would any of you feel if a teacher called you bitter. Like the teacher of a class you where paying to take.
It'd depend, on two things:

1) whether or not you really are bitter
2) the context of the comment - what was the conversation leading up to it?

If a teacher said that to me, in any context, I might tell them they smell bad. Just to see where the conversation goes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2010, 05:02 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,191,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Maciesmom and Hopes were both buried by laundry and I've decided that having seven LARGE boxes of Christmas Village pieces to set artfully around the house means I'm an idiot.
I am still buried in laundry! I'm making some progress though!

Idiot is a bit harsh, but I decided a long time ago that keeping Christmas decorations to a minimum was my best chance of retaining sanity.

You can resist temptation! Put your hands in the air and step s l o w l y away from those boxes!

Then take the first step: Acknowledge you have a problem and your life has become unmanagable.

Once you've done that, you can work on the next 12 steps for overcoming your dysfunctional Christmas Village behaivor.

The 12 Steps

Old 12-04-2010, 05:04 PM

4,471 posts, read 9,846,388 times
We have a big PR project due in which we have to write 10 pitches in addition to many many other things. The morning class had their project (exact same project) switched to 6 pitches. I sent the teacher a text (his preferred method of communication) and said "I am just making sure that our class is allowed to do 6 pitches instead of 10" (since i missed class this week and didn't hear the instructions). He texted back Good Try....NO. And I said "may I ask why" and he said "Bitter party of 1...bitter". And he said "They are different class" I stated back "There is no need to call me names. I am a student and I have just as much work as students in the other class and I am exploring my options" and I havent heard back. The other classes project was changed since they said it was too much work. He has demonstrated favoritism to the other class before since we had an extension to our last project which gave us less time for this without asking our class. I would of gladly not taken an extension for the last project just as the rest of my class had said.

Paying has everything to do with this. For $36,000 a year the teacher can at least speak to students with some respect. IF it was a free class I would simply stop going.

Old 12-04-2010, 05:10 PM

I could see his being annoyed by you constantly comparing one class to another. How he teaches his other class is really none of your business.

And just because you pay tuition doesn't mean that you are his boss.

There are some VERY nasty teachers at every college and university around the country.

That's why there are websites like ratemyteacher.com -- so students can select the nicest teachers if having a nice teacher is what's important for a student.

Old 12-04-2010, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
I could see his being annoyed by you constantly comparing one class to another. How he teaches his other class is really none of your business.

There are some VERY nasty teachers at every college and university around the country.

That's why there are websites like ratemyteacher.com -- so students can select the nicest teachers if having a nice teacher is what's important for a student.
I have never once requested anything. Comparisons happen amongst students only and we have never asked for anything else.

Because I pay tuition I expect to be treated with common respect.

Old 12-04-2010, 05:18 PM

6,926 posts, read 6,558,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post

Hopes I agree: When you constantly complain about the teaching methods of your professor, drop out of the class and retake it the next semester....

I went to school on-line and I didn't have a choice of professors! Some were great and there were a few, not many that weren't so great, you just have to deal and do what your there to do, your studies and work for good grades.......

Old 12-04-2010, 05:20 PM

Quote:
I have never once requested anything. Comparisons happen amongst students only and we have never asked for anything else.
Since you and your fellow students have been talking amongst yourselves, it sounds like his response was due to having dealt with other students protesting about the other class getting to do less. And you did compare your class to another class in what you shared about the texts between the two of you. As I said, that's not really your business what he does with another class.

Quote:
Because I pay tuition I expect to be treated with common respect.
You can expect all you want. That doesn't mean you'll get it.

I'm back in school right now. One of my teachers is constantly telling students, "If you don't like it, there's the door." He's dead serious too. The more people protest, the worst he gets. He punishes the class for the behavior of a few students---like a military mentality. It's quiet entertaining to watch him in action.

That's life. In the real world, you're going to have bosses who are much worse. You've gotta learn to suck it up and work under difficult circumstances.

Old 12-04-2010, 05:32 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,244,160 times
I have stepped away from the boxes... (Thanks, Hopes. You talked me away from the edge.)

Ohiogirl, There are some teachers who are just going to make you nuts. We've all had them: rude, obnoxious Know-It-Alls who love every bit of power they have. Hopes is right. Some day you are going to have bosses who are even worse. I just tried to plow past them. The world is FULL of clowns. Unfortunately, they don't all wear bow-ties that spin around to give you a warning.

Hang in there!

Old 12-04-2010, 05:43 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,502,533 times
Gonna go with the crowd here. Yeah, he didn't have to be sarcastic about it. It was just a question. But...he was and pushing it further is just going to make it worse. And yes, there are bosses out there who are just as bad and worse. I had a boss once (years ago) who wouldn't speak to me at all. He didn't like women in the workplace - and the fact that I was pregnant (and getting bigger every day - I was HUGE by the end of it) and waddled around, made it pretty impossible to ignore the fact that I WAS a WOMAN. The man made my life miserable. Looking back, I can at least smile at the the fact that he was aptly named. Richard. But everyone called him by his nickname. (no offense meant to anyone who might have the stately and elegant name of Richard)

Last edited by maciesmom; 12-04-2010 at 05:56 PM..

Old 12-04-2010, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
Gonna go with the crowd here. Yeah, he didn't have to be sarcastic about it. It was just a question. But...he was and pushing it further is just going to make it worse. And yes, there are bosses out there who are just as bad and worse. I had a boss once (years ago) who wouldn't speak to me at all. He didn't like women in the workplace - and the fact that I was pregnant (and getting bigger every day - I was HUGE by the end of it) and waddled around, made it pretty impossible to ignore the fact that I WAS a WOMAN. The man made my life miserable. Looking back, I can at least smile at the the fact that he was aptly named. Richard. But everyone called him by his nickname.
Thank you. I understand bad bosses. I had one in the summer that made me stand to eat lunch. I was an intern. I also had to get in an hour early and unlock the office and work on what he had texted me in the morning.

I just have an issue with a TEACHER calling a STUDENT a name. Especially bitter. If he would of said something like "No and let this be an experience to learn that life isn't always fair" I would of brushed it off but for him to call me bitter? A little out of line. I am just going to write what happened on the teacher evaluation at the end of the semester and hope the school does something

He actually let a girl turn in a project late, where as other people where not allowed to because se brings him french fries each week.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting