Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2010, 11:51 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,237,468 times

Advertisements

Unless there's a four-alarm emergency going on in our lives, my wife and I make a habit of spending 30 minutes together at the end of our work days, enjoying a glass of wine and making conversation. During this time, the kids are either doing their homework or practicing their musical instruments.

The kids know that they better have a darned good reason to interrupt Parent Time, and yet they haven't been psychologically scarred by not having immediate access to Mom and Dad whenever the urge strikes them.

Then of course, the kids go to bed a good hour before we do. Even if they're not sleepy, they can always read a book.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2010, 11:54 AM

3,430 posts, read 4,344,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Unless there's a four-alarm emergency going on in our lives, my wife and I make a habit of spending 30 minutes together at the end of our work days, enjoying a glass of wine and making conversation. During this time, the kids are either doing their homework or practicing their musical instruments.

The kids know that they better have a darned good reason to interrupt Parent Time, and yet they haven't been psychologically scarred by not having immediate access to Mom and Dad whenever the urge strikes them.

Then of course, the kids go to bed a good hour before we do. Even if they're not sleepy, they can always read a book.
I'm assuming your kids are over 4? Try telling a 10 1/2 month old not to bother you during parent time. Its MUCH easier as a parent of older children to make time for each other. My kids are 7 and under so its a whole different ballgame.

Old 09-15-2010, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paganmama80 View Post
That was the general point yes.

Yes I agree but certain people have nothing better to do than start arguments

Old 09-15-2010, 12:15 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,237,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisalan View Post
I'm assuming your kids are over 4? Try telling a 10 1/2 month old not to bother you during parent time. Its MUCH easier as a parent of older children to make time for each other. My kids are 7 and under so its a whole different ballgame.
Well, you're absolutely right. But a ten-year-old can be a first-class pest, too. You have to start somewhere.

Old 09-15-2010, 12:16 PM

4,564 posts, read 10,967,381 times
Quote:
No doubt it's much easier when they are older. Those of us with the older ones have been through those days. Don't worry - you'll get there too. Just try and find the time though, even if it's hard, so that when those days get there, you aren't staring each other in the face going, "now what?".

Of course, when they are older there are always new sets of things to deal with.....

Old 09-15-2010, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkcoop View Post
No doubt it's much easier when they are older. Those of us with the older ones have been through those days. Don't worry - you'll get there too. Just try and find the time though, even if it's hard, so that when those days get there, you aren't staring each other in the face going, "now what?".

Of course, when they are older there are always new sets of things to deal with.....

Oh I'm sure there will be but at least I won't be sleep deprived and dealing with them. Kind of hard to find time when for example last night my 10 1/2 month old woke up at 11, 12, 1 , 2 and 3.
Or when your almost 3 year old has one of her tantrums and you can't reason with her.
Or when your 7 year old refuses to get dressed for school. Serenity now! I have some strong-willed kids.

Old 09-15-2010, 01:55 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,505,174 times
Quote:
at least I won't be sleep deprived and dealing with them
I wouldn't necessarily count on that. I lost plenty of sleep for lots of reasons when my kids were teens.

Old 09-15-2010, 03:02 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,945,396 times
Quote:
When your kids are small you control their schedule because you are the parent. Make sure there is time for you and your husband to be alone. When the kids are small it's EASY because they should be going to bed early.

You have to make the time. Every couple has to do it a different way but it important to your children that you do it. IMO The greatest gift you can give your children is an intact family. Making time for each other does not GUARANTEE that you will stay together, but it does go a long way to keeping a couple connected in an adult sense.

Old 09-17-2010, 10:36 AM

2,119 posts, read 3,717,183 times
There's no one to pawn our kids off to. So, it's pretty much night time date time for us...and, that's if we're in the mood to date at all.

Old 09-17-2010, 10:56 AM

3,966 posts, read 6,872,156 times
Quote:
Yes I agree but certain people have nothing better to do than start arguments

LOL so i have noticed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting