Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2011, 07:56 AM

2,272 posts, read 6,666,857 times

Advertisements

The thread about clothing expense made me think of another issue that bothered me a lot when my daughter was younger. It seemed that so many clothes for toddler/preschool girls are what I call "hootchie-mama", and are just not appropriate. Is it just me? Gymboree was not like that, or Children's Place, but certain brands at kohl's, Burlington Coat Factory, etc just seemed way out of line to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2011, 08:11 AM

1,490 posts, read 4,754,096 times
I have noticed that also. I usually find decent clothing for a good price at places like Target or WalMart. If I'm ordering online, I like the Justice Girls sight (they have decently priced stuff that is modest and looks good).

As with any clothing store - you can find "hootchie-mama" clothes, but you can usually find more modest stuff too.

Old 10-23-2011, 09:04 AM

466 posts, read 815,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabinerose View Post
I have noticed that also. I usually find decent clothing for a good price at places like Target or WalMart. If I'm ordering online, I like the Justice Girls sight (they have decently priced stuff that is modest and looks good).
Ha. It's funny that you say that. I know a lot of people think Justice is the worst! LOL I don't have a girl, but I've looked at that site and I've never seen anything that looked horrible or inappropriate to me. I do think Justice is a little edgier and more fashion-forward, so if a parent is still in a ladybugs and strawberries theme frame of mind, it might be more shocking.

I do agree, though. So glad to have a boy and be stuck with boring boy clothes. I have seen a few outfits that seem to push the border of taste for preschool girls.

Last edited by carolinacool; 10-23-2011 at 09:58 AM..

Old 10-23-2011, 09:19 AM

The Byer brand at Kohl's is pretty bad, IMO.

Luckily DD is 11 now and like jeans and sweatshirts.

Old 10-23-2011, 09:40 AM

1,677 posts, read 2,486,519 times
I haven't seen much of a problem with toddler clothing. I think the biggest problem I had was finding a one piece bathing suit over the summer. But regular clothes seem to be appropriate, although more fashion geared, like skinny jeans. I don't really think those are inappropriate though.

I think it gets worse when girls get older, 8-14 years old. It seems they want girls to look like women as soon as possible. My sister has kids that age, and she has a hard time finding jeans that aren't low rise, tops that aren't midriff bearing, or dress shoes that aren't high heels. My niece recently went to homecoming, and my sister could not find a dress that wasn't strapless and thigh length unless she resorted to the children's section, with butterflies and flowers. She ended up resorting to a dress that maybe I would wear in my 30's, but never at 14! I'm not looking forward to that age at all.

Old 10-23-2011, 10:20 AM

Maybe things have changed some in little girls' clothes -- that would be great.

DD has to buy clothes at older girls' stores (she certainly can't wear little girls clothes anymore) but I supervise the shopping -- some of it is just too old for her. I love the fashion-forward stuff, but some of it is silly to put a tween in.

Old 10-23-2011, 11:21 AM

2,966 posts, read 3,914,243 times
I have seen some inaproppriate clothes, but the vast majority of what I see at stores such as Kohl's, Old Navy, Justice, etc. is fine and modest. Or maybe my view of what's appropriate and not appropriate differs from others.

Old 10-23-2011, 11:34 AM

1,142 posts, read 2,131,647 times
its not just children that the fashion industry has turned into the hootchie mama look - im 59 and work in a professional environment that requires proper business attire - i have noticed that the younger gals do where hootchie mama attire to the office but i would not be comfortable doing that - i have no idea why the fashion industry believes that showing cleavage in the office is acceptable - one of my requirements was to go to the bank if needed for maintaining the payroll account - one very hot i decided i was not getting out of my car but going to use the drive up - there was a new gal at the window and although her top wasnt as low cut as some i have seen when she leaned forward guess what just about went for a ride in the drawer - i was so embarassed i didnt know where to look - i was thinking of mentioning to the bank manager but i think someone beat me to the punch because the next time i went there she was gone -i really think companies should go back to a dress code this is just ridiculous and embarassing -

Old 10-23-2011, 11:52 AM

2,197 posts, read 3,356,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnaNomus View Post
I haven't seen much of a problem with toddler clothing. I think the biggest problem I had was finding a one piece bathing suit over the summer.
Best place to look for one piece suits would be where swimmers shop NorCal Swim Shop :: Kids :: Kids Suits Preteen Swimwear at SwimOutlet - The Web's Most Popular Swim Shop! . Their suits are appropriate for all ages (and you can actually swim in them).

Old 10-23-2011, 11:56 AM

2,966 posts, read 3,914,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnaNomus View Post
I haven't seen much of a problem with toddler clothing. I think the biggest problem I had was finding a one piece bathing suit over the summer. But regular clothes seem to be appropriate, although more fashion geared, like skinny jeans. I don't really think those are inappropriate though.

I think it gets worse when girls get older, 8-14 years old. It seems they want girls to look like women as soon as possible. My sister has kids that age, and she has a hard time finding jeans that aren't low rise, tops that aren't midriff bearing, or dress shoes that aren't high heels. My niece recently went to homecoming, and my sister could not find a dress that wasn't strapless and thigh length unless she resorted to the children's section, with butterflies and flowers. She ended up resorting to a dress that maybe I would wear in my 30's, but never at 14! I'm not looking forward to that age at all.
Where were you looking? We had absolutely no problem finding them at Kohl's, Old Navy, Justice, Target, Children's Place and Wal-Mart.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting