Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2010, 09:00 PM

4,280 posts, read 6,087,395 times

Advertisements

I would say that current shows aimed at that age are not worth watching. The comedies are way over the top. Really they have no values to most of them. I have a huge problem with Hannah Montana. She's lying to everyone about who she is. In my mind, that shows that lying can be fine in some instances. Another problem I have with shows today is that there is typically a lot of disrespect shown to parents. Shows that were made in the early 2000's and before are usually better options in my opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2010, 06:38 AM

4,471 posts, read 9,836,582 times
I'm still a huge Arthur fan. I love that show and it's actually really hysterical.

Old 10-01-2010, 08:05 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,093,051 times
We used to watch America's Funniest Home Videos as a family until it became apparent most of the laughs came when somebody could have been seriously injured. It is still that way. I see no humor in anybody taking a nasty fall or having the wits scared out of them. And some of the animal videos border on cruelty as well. Like the one of the lady throwing her cat upside down to hang on the rafters in the ceiling. I hate that. It is not funny and never should be shown.

Old 10-01-2010, 10:52 AM

17,183 posts, read 22,921,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiogirl22 View Post
I'm still a huge Arthur fan. I love that show and it's actually really hysterical.
Oooh, and I like the spinoff Postcards from Buster

Postcards from Buster DVD news: Announcement for Postcards from Buster - The Complete Series | TVShowsOnDVD.com

Old 10-01-2010, 11:45 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,697,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
"Weeds" is pretty good, and so is "Dexter".

They'll ask lots of questions.
ROFLMAO...my wife and I love Weeds and always battle with my son who is insistent on seeing what mom and dad find so funny.

Old 10-01-2010, 11:54 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,697,549 times
We're pretty liberal with what we let our kids watch, but many of the shows geared for younger kids these days really don't have a point behind them and don't work to convey a message. My son likes iCarly and Big Time Rush and while I think it's funny it's not all that good.

One morning we were up early and I put on the TV while we were eating breakfast. Nickelodeon was still Nick at Night and they were showing reruns of Family Matters (the show with Urkel). I was surprised that he really got into it and now he watches it regularly.

I think for many of the most part if you are looking for decent scripted shows you need to go back to older shows. Full House, Family Matters, The Cosby Show, etc. may all be dated, but they deal with ever relevant family themes. Another show my son gets a kick out of that we do as well is Reba. It's probably one of the few more modern sitcoms that follows a more traditional approach. Heck, even Roseanne is a better choice than most stuff on now.

Old 10-01-2010, 12:02 PM

3,430 posts, read 4,337,479 times
Are you smarter than a 5th grader. It's funny and educational.

Old 10-01-2010, 01:22 PM

3,422 posts, read 10,905,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scientist Mom View Post
Are there any scripted television shows that are both entertaining and appropriate for a 1st grader (my daughter)? I just can't think of any...but would love to have a show that we sit down to watch as a family each week.

Any suggestions?
I like the suggestions about the older stuff like Cosby Show and Family Matters. Its hard to find something in between things like Hannah Montana and stuff that is too mature. Remember when it was a big deal when Friends had some mature content on it and it was an 8pm prime time show (instead of 9pm or later?) and now things like Two and a Half Men and Family Guy are in syndication at 6pm.

As far as not scripted: My kids also like watching Mythbusters with my husband, and one of mine was captivated by Man Vs Food and the show about people with extraordinary features (Superhuman or something like that, wish I could remember the name). Extreme Home Makeover is another one that is usually kid-friendly.

Old 10-01-2010, 01:38 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,992,173 times
Nearly everything on prime time TV is written at first-grade level. Actually, I guess that's the problem. They are coarse and crude and mean-spirited, and written at a level that a first-grader can relate to.

Old 10-01-2010, 03:01 PM

356 posts, read 917,016 times
Thank you all for your responses and suggestions.

I have fond memories of watching weekly network shows as a family(Dukes of Hazzard, Little House on the Praire, the Cosby show,..), but it seems I will have to take a different approach to get a similar experience for my family.

Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
I know these aren't scripted but still my girls like the ones above as well as anything on the food network, especially the cake decorating contests. They love to watch cooking shows. I bought them each 2 cookbooks for christmas last year.
Yeah - my daughter likes the cake shows too and Chopped but I have little desire to make them into a weekly family viewing event. We record the new Chopped episodes but then they sit on the DVR for weeks. I appreciate the suggestions of non-scripted shows appropriate for this age though and will check them out for occasional viewing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildflower_FL View Post
I really like Between the Lions. My son and I started watching it when he was 6. I found it really enjoyable and helpful for his reading and spelling homework. It has a lot of muppets, puns and silly songs. It reminds me a lot of pre-Elmo Sesame Street.

He is 9 now and still enjoys it for the silliness, but doesn't need the reading instruction.
I didn't realize Between the Lions was gearing to this age group. We will have to check it out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88txaggie View Post
another vote for fetch. And Phineas and Ferb, sorry that is animated but it is really good. .
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiogirl22 View Post
We record both of these for her to watch but don't really watch them as a family. Perhaps we should try that a little bit more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kahskye View Post
How about some of the old reruns of Little House on the Prairie? .
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisdol View Post
I like the suggestions about the older stuff like Cosby Show and Family Matters. Its hard to find something in between things like Hannah Montana and stuff that is too mature. .
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post

I think for many of the most part if you are looking for decent scripted shows you need to go back to older shows. Full House, Family Matters, The Cosby Show, etc. may all be dated, but they deal with ever relevant family themes. Another show my son gets a kick out of that we do as well is Reba. It's probably one of the few more modern sitcoms that follows a more traditional approach. Heck, even Roseanne is a better choice than most stuff on now.
Thank you for the suggestions. I will see if these are available in DVD or if I can DVR them and think about trying to incorporate them into a weekly routine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting