Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2010, 07:04 PM

1,988 posts, read 5,385,835 times

Advertisements

My daughter and I sometimes watch the really old cartoons that come on the Boomerang channel - the original Flintstones, Jetsons, Scooby Doo, etc. (mostly because I actually get a kick out of watching them myself). We also like to watch older shows like Bewitched, Andy Griffith, Leave it to Beaver, etc. Also really old movies. Chitty Chitty Bang Bang was on recently. So was the original Willie Wonka. We keep hoping Wizard of Oz will come on soon because she wants to see it.

There aren't any current shows geared for that younger ages that I can tolerate watching.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2010, 08:31 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,310,566 times
ODS, who is 6, loves watching:

Junkyard Wars
MythBusters
How It's Made

He watches stuff on the History Channel and NatGeo too.

Old 10-01-2010, 08:32 PM

We have the Roku box for Netflix so DS also watches older cartoons like the Angry Beavers. Not educational, but witty and funny all the same.

Old 10-01-2010, 08:41 PM

705 posts, read 1,759,741 times
as long as we are talking old, get the muppet show. Can't go wrong there.

Old 10-01-2010, 08:52 PM

I'll add The Jetsons, The Flintstones, Hong Kong Phooey, Tom & Jerry and Popeye to that list.

Old 10-01-2010, 11:39 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,921,959 times
Mighty Mouse for the Operatic voices!!!!!!!

Old 10-02-2010, 03:56 PM

1,163 posts, read 1,995,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eresh View Post
My daughter and I sometimes watch the really old cartoons that come on the Boomerang channel - the original Flintstones, Jetsons, Scooby Doo, etc. (mostly because I actually get a kick out of watching them myself). We also like to watch older shows like Bewitched, Andy Griffith, Leave it to Beaver, etc. Also really old movies. Chitty Chitty Bang Bang was on recently. So was the original Willie Wonka. We keep hoping Wizard of Oz will come on soon because she wants to see it.

There aren't any current shows geared for that younger ages that I can tolerate watching.
The new Scooby Doo isn't really worth watching, unlike the older version of the show. Apparently, Shaggy and Velma are dating. What the?

I'm not gonna suggest any of the Nickelodeon cartoons I grew up watching in the 90's. Lots of adult references that I didn't even notice as a kid and went "over my head". However, they were very entertaining as a kid and now as an adult. I'm watching Sponge bob right now...lots of adult references! On an unrelated note, when did the English version of Sponge bob start knowing and speaking phrases in Spanish?

Back to topic:

My oldest sister's stepson likes watching the Discovery (and History, i think?) channel. He's one smart 10yo!

Old 10-02-2010, 08:37 PM

4,280 posts, read 6,087,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stressedCollegeGirl89 View Post
The new Scooby Doo isn't really worth watching, unlike the older version of the show. Apparently, Shaggy and Velma are dating. What the?

I'm not gonna suggest any of the Nickelodeon cartoons I grew up watching in the 90's. Lots of adult references that I didn't even notice as a kid and went "over my head". However, they were very entertaining as a kid and now as an adult. I'm watching Sponge bob right now...lots of adult references! On an unrelated note, when did the English version of Sponge bob start knowing and speaking phrases in Spanish?

Back to topic:

My oldest sister's stepson likes watching the Discovery (and History, i think?) channel. He's one smart 10yo!
I didn't watch many Nick cartoons in the 90's as we had to go to my grandma's house for that. Our dad wouldn't get cable. I think that one of the differences are the adult references. Sure, our cartoons had them, but they weren't the same type that they are now. Many of them are now sexual references that are disguised. When I watch cartoons I grew up on, they seem to be more cultural references. Bobby's World is good, but it's hard to find. Wishbone is good, and it isn't a cartoon. Let's see, at that age I watched Bobby's World, Small Wonder, Wonder Years, The Brady Bunch, Andy Griffith, Gilligan's Island (not a show I would suggest for that age), Animaniacs, Pinky and the Brain, I Love Lucy, Full House, The Cosby Show, and Family Matters mainly.

Old 10-02-2010, 08:42 PM

4,280 posts, read 6,087,395 times
I plan to watch DVD's of the older shows with my future children. I started buying them years back (mainly for my enjoyment) and continue when we have some money for them. Looking at what's on TV now, I shudder to think what will pass for children's entertainment then. I'm thinking that we will just pop the DVD in the same time every week and watch an episode.

Old 10-03-2010, 01:59 PM

427 posts, read 1,387,960 times
If your library has the dvd's Wishbone was a great show, and Fraggle rock, netflix is great to get seasons of old shows, and the best part is no commercials. You can either rent them, or we have a Wii and wifi so I can watch a lot of shows instantly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting