Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2010, 07:03 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,791,992 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
What about a homemade oatmeal cookie? Will that be on the "approved" list? A sugar cookie with icing? Wonder if it isn't homemade, but (gasp) storebought? No desserts for you! Tofu and spinach on whole grain, homemade bread, with organic carrot sticks and some mineral enriched water ( no flouride though!)....
No tofu - there is one kid in the other grade, whose assigned lunch is right after little Suzie's, who has a soy allergy. NO TOFU 4 U!!!

Old 10-28-2010, 07:05 PM

1,173 posts, read 4,753,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by strawflower View Post
The problem is, then you'd have to individually inspect every single kid's lunch to determine if it's healthy. What if little Emily has a healthy lunch, but has a fun sized chocolate bar as a treat in the lunchbox? What do you do then, tell her she can't eat it?
Duh, the chocolate bar was made in a factory that may process nuts so it's contraband!

Listen, I know what I said is extreme obviously it would be very difficult to police exactly what each child is eating/drinking. But I have no problem with schools selecting ONE food to start with and then slowly easing into another one. They chose soda which has zero redeeming qualities, fine with me.

It'd be even better if along with the ban came a little education on WHY the soda is banned. With a little education kids will make better choices, even little Emily. Perhaps she'll ask mom to buy her a dark chocolate bar on her treat day. Hopefully she'll recognize that it is just that, a treat, and not eat one everyday.

Old 10-28-2010, 07:05 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,189,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
What about a homemade oatmeal cookie?
Want my recipe for "healthy cookies"? Oatmeal, wheat germ, rice bran, flaxseed bran. Dee-liscious and you will be the most "regular" mom on the block.

Old 10-28-2010, 07:09 PM

3,430 posts, read 4,338,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
No tofu - there is one kid in the other grade, whose assigned lunch is right after little Suzie's, who has a soy allergy. NO TOFU 4 U!!!
I'm glad you find it funny that there are many children in the world that have serious allergies. Good for you

Old 10-28-2010, 07:10 PM

I have serious allergies too but I don't expect the world to bend to accommodate me. That's why god invented epi-pens.

Old 10-28-2010, 07:11 PM

3,430 posts, read 4,338,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theS5 View Post
There are so many IGNORANT posts here regarding peanut allergies.
Please people, get over it. I know of people who lost loved ones from peanut allergies, truly tragic.
So many of you get on here with flippant attitudes because junior can't have a peanut butter sandwich at school. I am sure that it would be fine if junior bathed in peanut butter after school, but at school have some consideration and follow the rules.

Thank-you for saying that. I can't believe how mean spirited some people are and how they find these allergies funny

Old 10-28-2010, 07:12 PM

613 posts, read 991,986 times
Quote:
Then, we can tell Georgia that they must cease and desist all peanut farm production, because the Smith Family is coming to the state to check out some properties for sale, and their 2-year-old has a peanut allergy and exposure to the farm air can kill him.
LOL! Okay, despite the fact that I don't agree with some of your views regarding allergies and I have a child with severe allergies, I really did find this very humorous.

On a more serious note though;

Quote:

Regarding education: Children are guaranteed one.
The public education act does not guarantee children will not be exposed to allergens.
No, but they are required to provide all children with a safe learning environment.

I don't necessarily believe a school needs to go completely peanut free to be safe (though that would sure ease the minds of parents), however, it is necessary for schools to put safety procedures in place such as no allergens in the classroom, peanut free lunch table, etc.

Having epi-pens in classrooms and the nurse's office is standard issue at my son's school, but trust me, you do not want to witness an anaphylactic reaction. Contrary to what you may believe, sticking a kid with an epi-pen does nothing more than buy the child time to make it to the hospital. 15 minutes worth of time, to be exact. After that, they need to receive further treatment at the hospital and typically remain in the hospital for a day or two.

And this is assuming that the adults in charge had the presence of mind to give the epi-pen injection at the first sign of an anaphylactic reaction. Usually when a death results from an allergic reaction in which an epi-pen was present it is because the adult hesitated too long before giving the shot, or in some cases never gave it at all!

Anyway, I don't really want to get into a debate over the peanut allergies and schools. We did that here awhile ago and it got pretty heated and the thread was eventually closed.

I got pretty upset over the whole thing back then, but I don't really get bent out of shape over things anymore, so I'm going to step back from this thread, grab some popcorn, and "watch" the show.

Old 10-28-2010, 07:13 PM

And when Junior bathes in peanutbutter BEFORE school and shows up AT school with trace amounts of peanut dust on his fingertips, and touches a doorknob in the classroom, and Allergic Annie has a reaction, Annie's Mommy will sue the school and force parents to either stop allowing peanutbutter in their homes, or make their kids go to "allergen-allowed" schools.

Old 10-28-2010, 07:14 PM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,637,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by icibiu View Post
Hopefullly they just easing into it while this entire country wakes up and realizes that our diets are killing us. Obesity is a huge problem in this country and cr*p like soda and twinkies have no place in a childs lunch box or worse yet a friggin' lunchables (barf).

Today it's soda tomorrow (hopefully) its over processed "food product", sugary drinks and things that have more fat than a stick of butter! Children are in school to learn, that learning should include nutrition and healthy diets. The cafeteria is the hands-on lab for those lessons.
I agree that children should be educated, but the practicing of that education should be voluntary and not forced. If lunchrooms want to start the education, they can limit what the children has a choice of eating. When I went to school there was one menu and you ate what you liked of it or brought your own; but parents should have a choice of choosing to send any food that does not harm others with their children to eat. It is getting pretty personal when the government tells you or your child what you can and cannot eat.

Old 10-28-2010, 07:14 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,466,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Want my recipe for "healthy cookies"? Oatmeal, wheat germ, rice bran, flaxseed bran. Dee-liscious and you will be the most "regular" mom on the block.
Mmmm....sure! Homemade oatmeal cookies are fave's around here
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting