Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2010, 05:15 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,466,514 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Book Lover 21 View Post
I think my point of view on this is unique. I think the schools should only be SELLING healthy foods; no Pop Tarts, no soda, no brownies, etc. The school selling these items, is almost an endorsement of this kind of eating. I don't let my kids drink sodas AT ALL (bad for the teeth).

However, I think parents should be able to send with their kids whatever they want. If it causes a behavior issue with Johnny, then deal specifically with Johnny. He is an individual and deserves to be treated as such.

But I worry about the Nanny State Creep. I don't want the schools parenting my kids. That's MY job.
This is pretty much where I fall. We do have soda in our home but not a lot and not often. I'm not a big soda drinker and honestly neither of my kids ever really drank much of it anyway. My husband OTOH does like it and will drink it if I buy it....so I buy it as a treat for him or if my kids is having a sleepover or other party....

Old 10-28-2010, 05:20 PM

613 posts, read 991,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
I'm not saying it doesn't happen, I'm saying some parents exaggerate the severity. Cry wolf is a dangerous game.
How do you exaggerate a life threatening allergy? If it's life threatening, it's life threatening. It doesn't get any worse than that.

Old 10-28-2010, 05:25 PM

1,476 posts, read 2,025,536 times
Quote:
I think my point of view on this is unique. I think the schools should only be SELLING healthy foods; no Pop Tarts, no soda, no brownies, etc. The school selling these items, is almost an endorsement of this kind of eating. I don't let my kids drink sodas AT ALL (bad for the teeth).

However, I think parents should be able to send with their kids whatever they want. If it causes a behavior issue with Johnny, then deal specifically with Johnny. He is an individual and deserves to be treated as such.

But I worry about the Nanny State Creep. I don't want the schools parenting my kids. That's MY job.
I like it. A very reasonable approach.

Old 10-28-2010, 05:25 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,568,805 times
Quote:

I agree with this. My kids do drink diet sodas sometimes in the summer, but very seldom.

Old 10-28-2010, 05:28 PM

613 posts, read 991,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeavingMassachusetts View Post
They **** off everybody at work and go to HR and fight and fight and fight to make it an allergy free workplace!
Don't be ridiculous. It is typically parents of children in the primary grades that are looking for more stringent rules regarding peanut products because the risk of exposure is greater. Young children are messy, careless, and less aware of what is going on around them, and until the child learns to manage his/her allergy, the child needs help from the schools.

As the child gets older and more responsible, hopefully the parents will relax the rules somewhat. My son has been at a peanut free table since K. He is now in 4th grade and better able to handle his allergies. It helps, of course, that older kids don't typically smear peanut butter all over the place while eating as very young children do. I know my son is very contact allergic as he has had at least 3 reactions from contact.

However, I now have the opposite problem. My son wants to sit with his classmates and as long as the child sitting right next to him isn't eating peanut butter AND the table is cleaned he would be fine, but the school won't let him.

Old 10-28-2010, 05:37 PM

1,049 posts, read 3,011,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaKash View Post
Soda is worse than cookies and other items that have sugar in it because A) Most Sodas Have Caffeine ...just what the teachers need. Kids hopped up on caffeine. lol B) Soda has a lot of acid in it that eats away at your enamel.
Cause we all know teachers much prefer to have kids drugged into submission and hooked on downers for their entire childhood, under the guise of ADHD.

Old 10-28-2010, 05:45 PM

1,302 posts, read 1,807,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wsop View Post
Don't be ridiculous. It is typically parents of children in the primary grades that are looking for more stringent rules regarding peanut products because the risk of exposure is greater. Young children are messy, careless, and less aware of what is going on around them, and until the child learns to manage his/her allergy, the child needs help from the schools.

As the child gets older and more responsible, hopefully the parents will relax the rules somewhat. My son has been at a peanut free table since K. He is now in 4th grade and better able to handle his allergies. It helps, of course, that older kids don't typically smear peanut butter all over the place while eating as very young children do. I know my son is very contact allergic as he has had at least 3 reactions from contact.

However, I now have the opposite problem. My son wants to sit with his classmates and as long as the child sitting right next to him isn't eating peanut butter AND the table is cleaned he would be fine, but the school won't let him.
I truly, truly wish I was kidding. Have you worked for a large corporation lately? The first wave of the new-fangled soccer moms kids are now entering the work-force. It ain't pretty.

Old 10-28-2010, 05:47 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,791,992 times
Next up: school boards demanding that children attending public school not be allowed to have peanut products at HOME, because the product could inadvertently stick to their clothing and kill a child when they expose their infestation in school.

And then, we'll have a state-wide ban on peanut products in supermarkets, just in case Mom brings Allergic Johnny grocery shopping the same day that College Sue drops and breaks the jar of peanutbutter in aisle 9.

Then, we can tell Georgia that they must cease and desist all peanut farm production, because the Smith Family is coming to the state to check out some properties for sale, and their 2-year-old has a peanut allergy and exposure to the farm air can kill him.

Yes, this is hyperbole. But so is the inanity that is school systems telling parents what they can and cannot allow their children to bring to school.

Regarding education: Children are guaranteed one. The public education act does not guarantee children will not be exposed to allergens. Did you know there are latex allergies too, and rubber allergies? How about we forbid all rubber soles while we're at it. And forbid the nurse's office from having latex gloves, even if the nurse isn't allergic to latex.

There are SO many things that people can be allergic to, and so many more common things than peanuts...why stop there? Why not require all public schools to have hepa filters in every room to eliminate pollen, because pollen allergies are so common?

Or - how about - equip every classroom with an epi-pen, have a stash of them in the nurse's office, and put kids who have allergies in a different part of the cafeteria when they're eating.

That way, god forbid Johnny stuck his finger in the peanutbutter jar for a nice healthy slurp before he went to school, and then touched the classroom doorknob, and then Allergic Susie touches the doorknob, no one will have to worry about it. She'll swell up, the teachers will see her turning red, they'll poke her with the epi pen, and make Johnny wash his hands. Problem solved.

I'd really like to know how it is that enough kids are allergic to peanuts and other nuts in 2010, that they have to actually have rules about it in schools. Cause, in my 16 years of school, from 1st grade to college graduation, I never heard of a single person with a nut allergy. I never heard of anyone getting sick from nuts, except this one guy who swallowed a filbert and it got lodged in his esophogus and someone had to give him the heimlich maneuver to get it out.

Old 10-28-2010, 05:48 PM

1,492 posts, read 3,234,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
. However, you are the mother, [and] no one should be telling you what to feed your kids.
Ah. I beg to disagree here.

On the first level if you take to an extreme that would make it OK to feed your kids ....hmm drugs.... nothing (starve em).....fat fat and more fat. Oh hang on thats the norm so I guess that fat is OK.

Of course someone has the right to tell you what to feed your kids.

In reality, we need to stay away from extremes but it is always handy to look at the extremes because the issues become more obvious when you consider the extreme. Then we need to pull back to a more realistic and moderate position.

So the reality is that someone else does tell us what to do in the extremes but when it comes to the middle of the issue, then it is basically up to the parent. The parent can say decide the kid will be vegitarian or will have soda for lunch.

Now we have a slightly different issue and that is the kid is at school. Not at home and as parents keep sayingwhen the kid is at school, the school has certain responsibilities. We all see lots of posts complaining that schools don't do their responsibility properly. Just look at all the heart ache over bullying to see this. The school has responsibility and they say X and so you shoudl do X. Luckilly we live in a pretty free society where we have the choice. If we really don't like X we can go change schools or home school.

Old 10-28-2010, 05:51 PM

3,430 posts, read 4,338,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wsop View Post
How do you exaggerate a life threatening allergy? If it's life threatening, it's life threatening. It doesn't get any worse than that.

I don't know how some people on here can be so insensitive to people who suffer from life threatening allergies. It is really really disgusting and shows you have an absolute disregard for a child's life. It's really sick.
I cannot believe how condescending some of you sound. I hope you're proud of yourselves. That's all.
How ignorant to imply that peanut allergies are made up.

Last edited by KylieEve; 10-28-2010 at 05:52 PM.. Reason: .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting