Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2010, 10:24 AM

88,586 posts, read 84,818,250 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by paganmama80 View Post
Am i the only one who did this? I really never saw the general point in having one so my ex and i never gave our kids any.
My ex-husband didn't have one and neither did my mother. His sister had a middle name only because the priest told her mother that her name, that of the Greek prophetess of doom, was unacceptable in the Catholic church, so they stuck Mary in as a middle name.

Sometimes a middle name is a way to honor a grandparent or other relative without having to stick the kid with a hideous name, too.

I use my middle initial. If you did a search on just my first name and my last name, both of which are fairly common, you get a whole bunch of people. Using the initial pares it down somewhat.

My brother was always known by his middle name. He had the same first name, but not middle name, as my father, and no kid should have to live with that name. When he died, a lot of people didn't even know what his first name was until they read it in the obituary.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2010, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msm_teacher View Post
College records, applications for just about anything, professional license, etc. all assume a middle name. Many of the computerized forms a place holder indicating there is no middle name verses just not listing it. Then, we get letters addressed with a middle name of "No middle name", or NA or A.
I've seen official documents with "NMN" for "No Middle Name", so I used that on something for my ex once. After that he got mail with "N." listed as a middle initial.

Old 12-10-2010, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
Point of interest:

Ulysses S Grant's middle name was S
No period, didn't stand for anything. Just the letter S
Just to confuse everyone more, Ulysses S. Grant's middle name was ULYSSES.

He was christened Hiram Ulysses Grant.

Old 12-12-2010, 06:01 AM

1,219 posts, read 4,219,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msm_teacher View Post
College records, applications for just about anything, professional license, etc. all assume a middle name. Many of the computerized forms a place holder indicating there is no middle name verses just not listing it. Then, we get letters addressed with a middle name of "No middle name", or NA or A.
This is true. I didn't have a middle name either. It was a hassle in these computerized times. When I married, I took my maiden name as my middle, and those issues stopped.

I gave all my kids a middle name.

Old 12-12-2010, 01:14 PM

2,059 posts, read 5,749,627 times
Sorry kids - English Europeans here and we certainly do have middle names, in fact the only person I know who doesn't have one is my husband but it's amazing his parents were bothered enough to give him a first name - John. I love when people quote 'Europe' like it's one country with one culture.

My kids each have two middle names. The second middle names seem to get dropped off a lot of things. They each have two because we wanted them to have a name we liked as well as a family name. It's a pain to write them out (especially since there are never enough spaces in the box!) but that's the way it goes. My oldest doesn't have any trouble spelling hers (the youngest is a baby) so I'm not concerned.

Old 12-16-2010, 11:26 AM

625 posts, read 1,882,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jb03 View Post
Cuda as in Barracuda (as in 'Cuda)?....I'm not sure that they ever officially dropped the apostrophe so I hope his name is 'Cuda, otherwise dad cheated.

What was wrong with Cadillac anyway?

No apostrophe. Just Cuda. Camero was another option. I never heard anything about Cadillac being in the running.

Old 12-16-2010, 11:28 AM

625 posts, read 1,882,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiogirl22 View Post
Kind of going on this tangent, all the boys I know who are named after their fathers go by "little" when someone is calling them on the phone. Like when I used to call my friend we would have to say "Can I speak to Little Mark" on the phone

I have an uncle in his late 80s who was named after his father. Even 40 years after his father's death he's still known as Sonny.

Old 12-16-2010, 01:44 PM

4,469 posts, read 7,196,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laura707 View Post
My son who's last name is Smith, gave his son's TWO middle names! I can only imagine the confusion that causes them..

My children have two middle names. There's no confusion at all in our case. For things requiring a middle initial, they use the first letter of the first middle name. The second middle name is a family name, and there primarily as a signpost for future genealogists.

Old 12-16-2010, 01:49 PM

4,469 posts, read 7,196,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post

I sincerely hope their last name is very unusual. Many times when people have relatively common names (Smith, Jones, Powell, Sims, White etc) the MIDDLE name is what can differeniate your child from others. This could be particularly important in legal or criminal matters. You may have actually handicapped your children and made their lives more difficult by doing this.
My son's name is very common. The middle initial came in handy when he was hospitalized and there were seven "John Smith"s (not his real name, of course) in the medical records. I suppose they'd've been able to use his birth date if he hadn't had one, but middle initial was what they asked for first, and he was the only one with that particular combination.

Old 12-19-2010, 12:32 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,992,173 times
I've always wondered if children born in the USA of foreign parents are required to have their birth name recorded using the 26-letter Roman alphabet? Can a birth name be officially recorded as Γέωργιος Παπασιδέρης or Алексей Алексеевич Прокуроров or สุริยา ปราสาทหินพิมาย, without respelling it in English phonetics? If an American child is born in Thailand, and spelled in Thai on the birth certificate, how would the legally correct English spelling be established at a later date, so that it could be verified by a matching birth certificate?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting