Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2010, 09:06 AM

5,976 posts, read 15,277,243 times

Advertisements

Not that breastfeeding is odd, but this is odd. I have kids, the oldest 7, and the youngest 14 months. I just could not imagine my wife feeding the little one, and the older one at all. Is it just me?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2010, 09:21 AM

7,195 posts, read 5,730,901 times
Meh. I know people who have nursed five-year-olds, and I know people who have tandem nursed their babies with their toddlers or preschool aged children. Not something that appeals to me at all (I nursed my daughter until she was 3 1/2 and by the time she weaned, I was DONE!), and certainly not the norm, but I'm not offended by it or concerned that either of the kids are being harmed.

Old 12-09-2010, 09:35 AM

4,267 posts, read 6,185,659 times
I also know people who tandem nursed their pre-school aged kids and their newborns. Personally I couldn't do it because I would feel touched out and overwhelmed but I respect those who choose to do it.

Old 12-09-2010, 10:14 AM

2,825 posts, read 6,928,233 times
I am a tandem nursing mother. My children are currently 4.5 and 1.5 years old. I would be happy to try to answer any (earnest) questions you might have about it.

Old 12-09-2010, 11:32 AM

419 posts, read 868,966 times

Quote:
Then with a burst of laughter, she adds: ‘If I thought he would still be breastfeeding now I probably wouldn’t even have started.’
LOL, that's exactly what I've told myself. I seriously don't think I'll be breastfeeding my son when he's 6 years old, though. He's about 3 right now and still into breastfeeding. Every day I keep hoping he'll grow out of it. Bribery hasn't even worked.

Old 12-09-2010, 03:57 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,756,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADVentive View Post
I am a tandem nursing mother. My children are currently 4.5 and 1.5 years old. I would be happy to try to answer any (earnest) questions you might have about it.
I have a serious question

WHY do you breastfeed over the age of 2?

There is very little to no nutritional value to a child past that point. And treating a child who has grown out of toddlerhood like such a baby would seem to me to stunt their emotional growth. After all, would you let your 4.5 year old go around with a passie or bottle?

Truly curious

Old 12-09-2010, 04:08 PM

1,933 posts, read 3,752,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post

There is very little to no nutritional value to a child past that point. And treating a child who has grown out of toddlerhood like such a baby would seem to me to stunt their emotional growth. After all, would you let your 4.5 year old go around with a passie or bottle?

Truly curious
Lovesmountains, currently I am in the same position. I know it has little nutrional value and as much as we try to wean, Toddler X ain't budging. At this point when Toddler X turns two I think I am busting out an ace bandage and wrapping my boobs for two weeks or going on a holiday for a long weekend sans Toddler X. I think the only reason why I allow it to continue is because its a bonding moment and I know he is becoming independent, its just a little hard for me to let go. But I tell you now...two years old. Thats it for me! I want my boobs back!

Old 12-09-2010, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post

Truly curious
I nursed until 4. For me personally I chose to let my child wean on her own when she was ready. Weaning was a very gradual proccess starting when I introduced her first solid food at the age of 6 months until she was nursing for just a few seconds every few days around the age of 4 until she stopped asking completely shortly after her 4th birthday. Nursing does have nutritional benefits and emotional ones even past the age of 2. Nursing into toddlerhood and beyond may not be the norm in our culture but it is very normal for our species.

Here's a link with some good information regarding extended breastfeeding:
kellymom.com :: Breastfeeding Past Infancy: Fact Sheet

Old 12-09-2010, 05:13 PM

1,302 posts, read 1,807,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorthy View Post
I nursed until 4. For me personally I chose to let my child wean on her own when she was ready. Weaning was a very gradual proccess starting when I introduced her first solid food at the age of 6 months until she was nursing for just a few seconds every few days around the age of 4 until she stopped asking completely shortly after her 4th birthday. Nursing does have nutritional benefits and emotional ones even past the age of 2. Nursing into toddlerhood and beyond may not be the norm in our culture but it is very normal for our species.

Here's a link with some good information regarding extended breastfeeding:
kellymom.com :: Breastfeeding Past Infancy: Fact Sheet
She didn't have food until she was 6 months??????

Old 12-09-2010, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeavingMassachusetts View Post
She didn't have food until she was 6 months??????
She was exclusively breastfed until she was 6 months and at 6 months old I started introducing her to solid foods. Why do you think that is so weird?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting