Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-12-2011, 08:41 PM

4,564 posts, read 10,955,920 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by strawflower View Post
Well, we have an overnight volleyball tournament for DD13 this weekend. I'm looking forward to watching the girls have fun and hanging out with the parents at the hotel (it's a really fun group!) but I'm really nervous about the hotel itself- it's an EconoLodge (which is obviously not the most upscale chain..) that's on numerous bed-bug infested hotel lists, and the two most recent reviews on TripAdvisor confirm that. Ick!
Don't you keep a bottle of cootie spray on hand?

Old 01-12-2011, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
This afternoon, I decided to take a break from the "foster" teen. When I suggested he go out and shovel snow to make some money that he desperately needs, he said he didn't "feel like it" and "needed a break." (Needs a break? He doesn't do anything!) He said some other things too that almost burned a bridge with me today. Sadly, AnonChick was right: he's not ready for help. He needs to dig his hole a bit deeper for himself. Apparently not having a penny and often going without eating meals and going through nicotine withdraw isn't his rock bottom yet. He must need hit over the head before he "gets" it I guess. I'm just glad I did not allow this particular child to live at my house until he proved he was willing to help himself.
I'm sorry to hear this. But I had thought the same as Anonchick as well. I know you would THINK he should appreciate everything that's been done for him, but sometimes it might be that in a case like this, they think they are entitled a bit for the help they are being given. I hope he realizes how lucky he is before he loses all the good hearted people around him.

Old 01-12-2011, 09:51 PM

852 posts, read 1,365,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
From my friends/coworkers who travel....when you get home, empty your suitcases and strip down in the garage before you enter the house. Throw everything into the dryer - the heat kills any unwelcome tag along "guests"....
This is good advice. And remember that the bugs are most likely to hide in the suitcase, so the best thing to do is to use soft-sided bags (like duffel bags or gym bags) instead of suitcases so that you can put the bags in a high dryer too.

Old 01-13-2011, 09:57 AM

13,422 posts, read 9,955,563 times
I went to my volunteer orientation last night. It was really great. The organization is doing a lot with actually placing people in affordable housing, and renovating abandoned blocks in neighborhoods and matching those with good candidates to get them off the streets. Of course, a lot of people they help are dealing with substance abuse issues, so it will be good to be able to help out those folks, having an understanding of where they're coming from.

There was a funny moment when the speaker gave an example of why she got into doing her job. She said she came from a small city where there were no homeless and she was shocked by it when she came to Philly and saw the homeless here.

She said that the reason her city didn't have any homeless was that there were groups of citizens that would go around to homeless people and strongly suggest they leave town, and would give them bus tickets to California and actually go as far as to drive them to the Greyhound station, thus getting "rid" of their homeless problem. I thought it was pretty ironic that what motivated me was knowing homeless people in California and wondering how they would possibly survive if living in a climate like the NorthEast's. I wonder if any of the people I used to chat with while drinking my morning coffee were forced to leave their home by the denizens of their particular cities. Boggles the mind really.

Old 01-13-2011, 10:03 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,183,567 times
Good for you, Finster!!

Now this "cootie spray". Where, exactly, does one buy such a wonderful product?

Old 01-13-2011, 10:29 AM

Elementary school stores maybe?

Old 01-13-2011, 10:38 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,061,041 times
Today is my first day to relax, and I'm spending it here with you guys!

It wouldn't be relaxing if I did house work, would it?

Even meeting friends for lunch seems like an effort for me right now. All I want to do is NOTHING.

I'm thinking I might take a nap and then read a book this afternoon....

I have today, tomorrow and Saturday to do NOTHING.

Then visiting my girlfriend on Sunday, all of my classes start next week, hubby's surgery and physical therapy, and lunch with another friend.

For now, I'm going to do NOTHING. ABSOLUTELY NOTHING.

Old 01-13-2011, 10:53 AM

I like days like that, although I usually feel guilty by the end of it. Like I should have been doing something. It's hard to enjoy doing nothing! So try and enjoy!

Old 01-13-2011, 10:54 AM

4,471 posts, read 9,836,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
For now, I'm going to do NOTHING. ABSOLUTELY NOTHING.
Don't you love it? I just got a job and it doesn't start until April 10! Thats LOTS of nothing. I am going to join a gym to get a few of my holiday pounds off.

Old 01-13-2011, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiogirl22 View Post
I just got a job and it doesn't start until April 10!
Congrats!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting