Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-05-2011, 09:21 PM

13,414 posts, read 9,948,375 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisdol View Post
Hopes, you asked me something last night but I did not respond because I was getting off the laptop, and now I can't find it and cannot remember. Anyway this color talk has me wondering about hair styles.

I'm 40 now, and my hair falls just a few inches below my shoulders, with side bangs. I keep wondering if I should cut it shorter (around chin length in a style) but then I worry I will never grow it back again and I know my husband likes it longer. Its tricky because if it gets too long it gets too flat and heavy. I read something recently where someone commented on women "of a certain age" looking better with shorter haircuts (not necessarily the mom bob but not long flowing locks like a 22 yr old either). People say I don't look my age and I always kind of pictured myself as an older grayish haired woman with jeans, workboots, and a "of course I can help you get your hay unloaded" kind of shirt on with a long braid or ponytail some years from now.

What do you all think of the "women over 40 (or insert a different age) should have shorter hair" concept?
Noooo.... don't do it! It's just a short (no pun intended) leap to the old lady perm from there. You won't be allowed into our nursing home that Dew appropriately titled "The CD Home For Cyber Moms Who Rock".

The bouncer won't let you in if you have the Old Dear hair do, or if you don't know how to headbang to Bohemian Rhapsody. Just sayin'.

Old 02-05-2011, 09:47 PM

3,422 posts, read 10,902,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
Noooo.... don't do it! It's just a short (no pun intended) leap to the old lady perm from there. You won't be allowed into our nursing home that Dew appropriately titled "The CD Home For Cyber Moms Who Rock".

The bouncer won't let you in if you have the Old Dear hair do, or if you don't know how to headbang to Bohemian Rhapsody. Just sayin'.
Now I cannot get Mike Meyers out of my head!

Old 02-05-2011, 09:52 PM

13,414 posts, read 9,948,375 times
Quote:
Now I cannot get Mike Meyers out of my head!
Then my mission here is complete.

Old 02-05-2011, 09:54 PM

Most Excellent!

Old 02-05-2011, 09:59 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,452,372 times
Hey lisdol - another "no" for cutting your hair if you still like it....I'm nearly 50 and I'm growing mine out. I had short hair forever - mostly because I have a TON of thick, hair - that's a bit on the coarse side (not extremely...just enough that it doesn't have that shiney look and hang nicely). It's getting there. My mother is horrified. If I happen to mention on the phone that I got my hair cut....she perks right up...until I clarify that I just meant a trim..it's still "long"....In her mind, all I need is a hair cut, a perm and a "frost" to look just great!

The only thing that's a pain is drying it every day. It takes forever - or maybe it just seems to...I am not a known for having a ton of patience.

Old 02-05-2011, 10:07 PM

A frost, LOL.

Old 02-05-2011, 10:18 PM

2,154 posts, read 4,425,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Total success on my food expidition! I now have a fridge full of Hawaiian food: BBQ beef, ribs, chicken katsu, kalua pork, cabbage, rice, kalbi short ribs, macaroni salad. Hawaiian sodas and fruit drinks. Tomorrow we feast! I'm very thankful.
Chicken katsu and Hawaii mac salad?!! Man, I hate you right now..lol

Old 02-05-2011, 10:58 PM

4,280 posts, read 6,084,924 times
My six-year-old niece had her first practice of the season for tee ball today. She already played last year and loves it. She's loved it ever since she was about two. Full on melt down when she got to the field about the size of her cleats. It was so embarrassing. Thank goodness she isn't my kid. I guess she was just nervous because she didn't know any of the girls. She played in a different league last season, and this league is in a different season. Eventually my mom suggested I go with her since parents were helping, and she bucked up and had a great time after that. They are so cute at this age when they play sports.

Old 02-05-2011, 10:59 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,030,943 times
Quote:
Hopes, you asked me something last night but I did not respond because I was getting off the laptop, and now I can't find it and cannot remember. Anyway this color talk has me wondering about hair styles.

I'm 40 now, and my hair falls just a few inches below my shoulders, with side bangs. I keep wondering if I should cut it shorter (around chin length in a style) but then I worry I will never grow it back again and I know my husband likes it longer. Its tricky because if it gets too long it gets too flat and heavy. I read something recently where someone commented on women "of a certain age" looking better with shorter haircuts (not necessarily the mom bob but not long flowing locks like a 22 yr old either). People say I don't look my age and I always kind of pictured myself as an older grayish haired woman with jeans, workboots, and a "of course I can help you get your hay unloaded" kind of shirt on with a long braid or ponytail some years from now.

What do you all think of the "women over 40 (or insert a different age) should have shorter hair" concept?
I have the same problem. My hair has always been long. It varies in length between past my shoulders or to my shoulders where it's a tad longer in the back. When I got my hair done this week, I went in with a long blunt cut that was past my shoulder blades. It was feeling heavy and lifeless, but I wasn't ready to give up long hair just yet.

I thought I needed to start trying some sort of bangs---to hide wrinkles like the stars do---or layers around my face to give my hair a lift. Since I've never been a 'bang' person, we discussed long side sweep bangs.

She did the biggest "no no" ever for my type of hair. She cut long layers into it all around. Now it's completely lifeless. I'm a wash and go kind of person, styling isn't for me, and my hair has always looked fantastic with a blunt cut or layers at the very bottom to add fullness (if the cut was to my shoulders) without my having to do anything to it. I'll probably end up curling this mess in hopes of being able to stand it. Fortunately, the longest layers are just to my shoulders. I'll probably get it cut up to my shoulders to give it fulless and life again.

It's hard to find people who can cut razor straight hair. I did find a lady last year, the cut was amazing. I went to this new girl because she's a friend of my son. I knew she didn't have much experience, but I wanted to help her out. In all honesty, if I curl this, it will look great. I just wasn't wanting something I needed to mess with.

This is what my hair looks like now. Mine has some long layers in it, but the overall look is just like the picture. I feel like it looks lifeless and stringy on me:

I thought we were cutting it like this:

Here is one style I've had when my hair was too my shoulders: (I've also had a choppy style this lenght that was fun, but I can't find a picture of it.)

This is the shortest mine has ever been. I wore my hair like this when I worked and had to have a professional image. It was a great cut and it grew out easily:

If you decide to try shorter, go to your shoulders, not your chin. It's easy to grow out. I've done it many times. My hair is a lot fuller and livelier when it's around shoulder length as opposed to way down my back. I like it super long, but the weight of it can make it lifeless during certain seasons. My hair grows super quickly (like an inch a month) so it's never a big deal to cut it to my shoulders. It will be longer again within a few months.

Last edited by Hopes; 02-05-2011 at 11:14 PM..

Old 02-06-2011, 07:45 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,776,455 times
The first and the second photo look like they could be the exact same cut. Try teasing just the very top at your forehead, and along the part around an inch, right at the scalp. While it's still moist (not soaking). And work a little moderate-hold gel into it while you're doing it. Just a drop to coat your fingertips, no more than that.

Alternately, try this while it's still wet:

Comb to get any clumps/big knots out.

THEN towel-dry.

THEN spray some light-hold spray over the whole thing.

DO NOT BRUSH.

That might work perfectly. Honestly, that second photo looks like nothing more than an unbrushed, unpolished version of the first.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.