Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-03-2011, 12:35 PM

4,471 posts, read 9,841,398 times

Advertisements

I always felt different in elementary school because my mom bought italian bread which is kind of oblong shaped and everyone else had square bread. Cheese didn't fit on it right. I wish these where still my biggest problems in life.

Old 03-03-2011, 12:39 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,213,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
Oooh... Tang was a big treat when I was little. And the ASTRONAUTS drank it (according to the ads). Hmmm. OK, maybe that's what's wrong with me.
They did drink it. And they hated it so much two of them smuggled a corned beef sandwhich aboard one Gemini flight.

(Child of the space program. I know all the weird stuff.)

Old 03-03-2011, 12:45 PM

13,453 posts, read 9,978,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiogirl22 View Post
I always felt different in elementary school because my mom bought italian bread which is kind of oblong shaped and everyone else had square bread. Cheese didn't fit on it right. I wish these where still my biggest problems in life.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ardysVzHwSA

Old 03-03-2011, 12:45 PM

3,842 posts, read 10,519,521 times
Interesting info on the Tang.

Just finished reading Martha Stewart Living for Feb. That woman has some ideas.

This caught my eye. I cannot. I cannot. I cannot make it. If I write it out, it may help the need to make:
Milk Chocolate & Peanut Butter Cocoa.

ingredients: 2 cups whole milk. 1 cup heavy cream. 5 oz milk choc. 1/4 c creamy pb.

Old 03-03-2011, 12:49 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,213,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 121804 View Post
ingredients: 2 cups whole milk. 1 cup heavy cream. 5 oz milk choc. 1/4 c creamy pb.
I just heard the main artery to my heart plug up.

Old 03-03-2011, 01:04 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,578,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
I just heard the main artery to my heart plug up.
No kidding. That sounds like a Paula Deen recipe, not Martha.

Maybe I should give it to my 10 year-old, boy does he eat a lot. The boy is tall with enormous shoulders, skinny as a rake, and eats at least twice as much as I do. I am always looking for healthy filling snacks. I just made some wholewheat peanut butter cookies. Anyone have any other recipes or ideas?

Old 03-03-2011, 01:18 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,811,264 times
Oatmeal-raisin cookies with raisins AND dried cranberries. Yes, it has lots of sugar in it. But if he's a kid, and he's only having 2 or 3 of them, everything that isn't sugar, will be good for him and he'll love the sweet-sour mix and chewy crunchy goodness. And milled oats - good grain!

Another - one of my very favorites: apple crisp. The topping is mostly oats. With brown sugar; the molassas is good for'em. A bit of melted butter to give it a proper crumbly consistency. And of course fresh-ground cinnamon stick, and lemon juice...all good healthy things for kids, crusted atop tart, crisp granny smith slices and sweet, soft, macintosh slices. Served hot. No ice cream necessary.

Another yummy thing, no grain this time: baked apple, Anon-style: dig the core out of the middle of the apple and de-stem it, but don't peel it. Stand the cored apple on top of tin foil. Toss some raisins into the hollowed out section, and stuff a dried cranberry or two in there for good measure. Put a chip (like, 1/4 a teaspoon) of butter on the top of the newly-filled core, and bake at a low temp for around 20 minutes. Drizzle honey over the top and sprinkle with fresh-ground cinnamon, serve with a fork and knife.

Old 03-03-2011, 01:35 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,200,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Aren't those memories the best? In CA you make a mission in the 4th grade. (There were a string of Catholic missions built in the 1700's in CA.) Making the mission is a rite of passage.
having moved out of California, making a mission is one of those things I'm sad my kids won't do. Not because it is some great educational project, just one of those things I did, but they will not. No field trip to Yosemite, either.

Old 03-03-2011, 04:33 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,483,364 times
Hellooooo.....nice to be able to pop in during lunch today! For some reason I am just pooped today...I slept like a log last night also.. I could just put my jammies on right now, take my contacts out and lay on the couch. But...alas...I cannot. Sure sounds good though. Looking out the window and wondering if our elderly neighbors across the street are getting ready to put their house on the market. Haven't seen them out as much in the last year as in the past (we've lived here 15 years - they were here when we moved in)....I noticed a lot of activity lately. New carpet, professional window washers (which I totally get but in Feb?) etc. Wondering if maybe they are moving to a retirement community. The upkeep might be getting to be too much for them.

I haven't been home during daylight hours for a bit - and being wintertime don't see too many neighbors...I did hear through the grapevine that one of our other neighbors (we call him..well, nevermind exactly what we call him but the words "creepy guy" are in there somewhere and everyone knows who you're talking about) got taken away on a stretcher yesterday by the rescue squad....all kinds of happenin's in "the 'hood"....

Old 03-03-2011, 04:54 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,578,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
Oatmeal-raisin cookies with raisins AND dried cranberries. Yes, it has lots of sugar in it. But if he's a kid, and he's only having 2 or 3 of them, everything that isn't sugar, will be good for him and he'll love the sweet-sour mix and chewy crunchy goodness. And milled oats - good grain!

Another - one of my very favorites: apple crisp. The topping is mostly oats. With brown sugar; the molassas is good for'em. A bit of melted butter to give it a proper crumbly consistency. And of course fresh-ground cinnamon stick, and lemon juice...all good healthy things for kids, crusted atop tart, crisp granny smith slices and sweet, soft, macintosh slices. Served hot. No ice cream necessary.

Another yummy thing, no grain this time: baked apple, Anon-style: dig the core out of the middle of the apple and de-stem it, but don't peel it. Stand the cored apple on top of tin foil. Toss some raisins into the hollowed out section, and stuff a dried cranberry or two in there for good measure. Put a chip (like, 1/4 a teaspoon) of butter on the top of the newly-filled core, and bake at a low temp for around 20 minutes. Drizzle honey over the top and sprinkle with fresh-ground cinnamon, serve with a fork and knife.
Ooh, apple crisp is a great idea. Yeah, 3 cookies isn't going to go very far with him. Giving a 10 year-old boy sugar is like giving Charlie Sheen coke......not pretty!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting