Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2010, 01:12 PM

88,586 posts, read 84,818,250 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bette View Post
I hired a maid just before Thanksgiving to really really clean the house - the sliding glass door tracks, all that stuff. When my daughter comes home, it's like she does an inspection!!!

Once she is there a day or two, she's fine but the initial snobbery is there when she comes in the house.
Uh, oh, never even thought about sliding glass door tracks...

I'm safe right now. There is about four feet of snow up against my sliding glass doors, so I'm not going near them.

What's wrong with kids today? Hehehe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2010, 01:15 PM

88,586 posts, read 84,818,250 times
75% of house dust is dead human skin. So, use the towels for dusting before you wash them. Double use, and since they have all that dead skin on them anyway...

I just love when I come across people who are overly sensitive about silly things like dead skin, because then I get to share things like this.

How do you all feel about those microscope mites that live in the roots of your eyelashes? Possible dead skin on clean towels disturbs you, but this does not?

OH, and here's another good pic of them actually with their little heads buried in the eyelash pore:

Old 12-28-2010, 01:28 PM

6,884 posts, read 11,245,419 times
Smile I do grab the towels

I usually "visit" my kid's rooms and get their clothes. I just can't have anything left over till the next day. I do this really late at night so it only takes an hour or so; usually, I'm doing other stuff too - exercising is my latest thing so in between reps.....

Old 12-28-2010, 01:46 PM

2,059 posts, read 5,749,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
My kids have their own bathrooms, hence they have their own towels too. They may be full of skin cells, but it's their own, so no, I won't wash them after every shower. I couldn't keep up if I did, since they seem to shower 2-3 times a day each.

But, wet towels on the floor are a huge no-no here. If they needed a reminder not to do that they would find them tucked under their blankets when they got into bed at night.
If they're old enough to have their own bathroom they're old enough to wash their own towels.

Old 12-28-2010, 01:49 PM

2,059 posts, read 5,749,627 times
Re the skin cells - my husband has psoriasis and the rest of us all have dry skin. Enough said I think!

Old 12-28-2010, 02:16 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,093,051 times
My kids are responsible for their own laundry from about the age of 10 on. The adult kids learned that if they wanted clean clothes, towels, sheets, etc they had to do it themselves. And no I did not work outside the home, However I did not get married and have a family to be anybody's slave. (I work from home) Able bodied people should learn at an early age how to take care of themselves.

Now I have 2 eight year olds. They know when to bring their dirty clothes downstairs if they want me to wash them and they know when the dryer goes off they are to handle it. DH likes to do his own laundry (Only took one load of pink underwear to train him)

By the time the kids are old enough to walk, they are learning to sort laundry by color, all cotton and permanent press. I made it fun and they like to match socks and make piles of towels and wash cloths and underwear.

To some I guess I sound mean but others will agree it is all part of teaching responsibility. Now if I could get them to do sheets and my own clothes I will be all set.

Old 12-28-2010, 02:17 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,992,173 times
There is a psychiatric condition known as "contamination obsession", which usually manifests itself by washing hands dozens of times a day. But the pathology of being unable to stand drying oneself with a towel that has been used before would certainly seem to fall into that category.

Contamination obsession is usually viewed as a condition that should be addressed with some kind of intervention, possibly therapy. If using the same towel twice causes you severe emotional distress, you might want to seek counseling.

On the other hand, if you simply happen to personally enjoy the luxury of using a fresh-smelling bath towel, and you don't mind having laundry as a hobby, go ahead and keep washing yours every time, but don't expect everyone else to spend the rest of their lives as adults on their own, dedicating themselves to the same comforts and pastimes that you like.

Old 12-28-2010, 02:31 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,183,567 times
I suffered from a psychiatric condition myself. No Kudzu currently has it as do several other people on this board. It's called "Here is the machine-Here is the soap-Never put reds in with whites-Call me if the washer starts bouncing across the floor-I'm not always going to be here to hold your hand-Itis" Probably incurable.

It manifests itself by having 10 year olds who know what "spin cycle" means. The pathology includes a fear your child will grow up and be a burden to society. Possible therapies include buying soap without a coupon just for the rush.

Old 12-28-2010, 02:41 PM

8,003 posts, read 11,725,989 times
Yes, it's called child neglect. If your children don't learn to cook/clean/do laundry etc., you are neglecting your duties as a parent. You have negected to teach them how to survive on the their own. At our home, I also have another rule. If you need to do your laundry, don't just take the clothes out of the dryer and toss it in a heap! Do I do THAT? No, I do not. I fold the clothes as they come out of the dryer. If you bring a load of dark clothes to the laundry, and it's 1/2 of a load, you will check the laundry hamper....if you can make a full load from THERE...you will do so! If you choose to not do so, the next time I do laundry, I MAY just do everyone's laundry from the hamper EXCEPT yours! Unless it's fancy, fine washables, you will not operate a 1/3 full machine....round up enough to fill the machine! It's why I purchase large ones!

Old 12-28-2010, 02:46 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,183,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmel View Post
At our home, I also have another rule. If you need to do your laundry, don't just take the clothes out of the dryer and toss it in a heap! Do I do THAT? No, I do not. I fold the clothes as they come out of the dryer. If you bring a load of dark clothes to the laundry, and it's 1/2 of a load, you will check the laundry hamper....if you can make a full load from THERE...you will do so! If you choose to not do so, the next time I do laundry, I MAY just do everyone's laundry from the hamper EXCEPT yours! Unless it's fancy, fine washables, you will not operate a 1/3 full machine....round up enough to fill the machine! It's why I purchase large ones!
I love you beachmel! Want to go get a cookie and a box of Biz?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting