Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2010, 08:37 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,310,566 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Yes, yes, yes, yes, yes!!

Buy the tickets as soon as they go on sale next year so you don't miss out. Was the PBS version you watched the American Ballet Theater production with Baryshnikov? That one is simply as good as it gets.
Yes it was! I really wish I had known he would be so interested because I would have tried to get tickets this year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2010, 08:39 AM

1,988 posts, read 5,385,835 times
We listen to all kinds of music in our house from classical to (very) heavy metal. My daughter is only 4 and 1/2, so we do censor audible 'potty mouth' words, but that's about it. Her current favorite is Tchaikovsky (she recently was in the Nutcracker), but before that it was the Hex Girls (from Scooby Doo). She is very in to music - has a gentle touch on the piano for her age, likes to play her acoustic guitar with me and her dad, is always getting into my hand drums, and is constantly singing. I don't want to do anything to hinder her budding "talent".

Old 12-28-2010, 08:49 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,183,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Yes it was! I really wish I had known he would be so interested because I would have tried to get tickets this year.
It's available on DVD so if he ever deserves a treat....

I had a major crush of Baryshnikov for years (truth be known, still do) and saw him dance The Nutcracker in L.A. One of the happiest memories I have of an outing with my mother.

Old 12-28-2010, 08:51 AM

3,842 posts, read 10,513,819 times
I grew up in a home that constantly had classical music and opera playing in some room. I was also classically trained on the piano from 1st-12th grade. That was not a choice & I hated it but wish now I had a piano & was able to continue playing.
My 5yr old loves Andrea Bocelli as do I. He likes to sit in the kitchen & do something be it playdough, paint, coloring, and listen to him. He also enjoys Phantom of the Opera & Les Miserable. Quite "commercial" you could say, but still beautiful music.
As for censoring, there are some words & lyrics that little ears really don't need to be hearing. Once my kids get older, they can't blare music w/ curse words or lyrics that purposely are said to garnish attention.
Someone mentioned Adam Lambert. Never saw him on AI, but his music that I hear now is really good.

Old 12-28-2010, 10:07 PM

13,423 posts, read 9,955,563 times
Well, Mr FinsterRufus' favorite song of the minute is F You by Cee Lo Green, which is absolute genius from twisted/marketing/hooky standpoint, and I won't let him sing that around 3yr old dd - not because I have a problem with the sentiment but because she's likely to sing it to her grandma. So I guess I do censor.

But apart from that, no I wouldn't, and the greatest gift you can give to any artist is to stick one of Tipper's black and white labels on the record and have them watch the sales double, when the marketing's aimed at teens.

Personally, I think that even the most controversial lyrics are good points for discussion - especially one's that come from dark places of addiction or suicidal thoughts, or even gangsta rap, when you can explain to your daughter that if any man ever talks about you like that you can feel free to knee him in the cajones, or if you have a son you can teach him that he'd better get a good cup if he wants to treat women with that kind of disrespect.

But having worked with some bands who were in the line of fire in the late nineties for corrupting kids' minds and leading them down the dark path, and knowing where they were really coming from, I wouldn't think of trying to "protect" my kid from them. If your child has a good grounding and can approach different subjects with an open mind, and are confident in themselves, I don't think they'll be unduly influenced by any kind of music.

It's when you try to shelter them too much that you run into issues.

Old 12-28-2010, 11:12 PM

852 posts, read 1,365,566 times
I have a confession, Finster, "F You" is my favorite song of the moment too. I don't play it around the kiddos either, but it's on my Ipod.

Old 12-29-2010, 08:22 AM

4,564 posts, read 10,955,920 times
I think we've had this discussion on there before - it seems familiar. We have never censored. Have we influenced? Of course. We listened to a lot of jazz when our son was younger. Now it's predominately heavy metal. He tends to like what we like. Probably because it's what I buy, what's on in the car, the concerts we go (and have taken him) to, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
Personally, I think that even the most controversial lyrics are good points for discussion - especially one's that come from dark places
So, so true. I'm a Marilyn Manson fan. Some of his lyrics - especially those that are not the radio songs, are a brilliant glimpse of society.

Old 12-29-2010, 08:28 AM

3,966 posts, read 6,864,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItalianIce View Post
I'm just curious as to other parents' philosophies about the music their children listen to. Do you preview the music that your children listen to? Do you restrict their options? If you forbid music, what factors determine whether music is permitted? Is it the lyrics, the bands, the image?

As for me... When I was very little, I listened to folk and classical, as well as some kid tapes. That's what my parents listened to, so that's what was on. I loved it all. When I was older, I started buying my own music and taking my own music out of the library, and I listened to country, pop, rock, jazz, and classical. My parents never previewed what I listened to, and they never asked (unless I wanted to play them a song). Incidentally, I am now a professional classical musician and a rock/alternative musician in my free time, so I'm really grateful for my diverse background. I also listened to a lot of protest songs from the civil rights and Vietnam War era (Pete Seeger, etc.) when I was very young. I believe that it's good to expose kids to this type of music; it really teaches them about the world.

My own kids are still little, and they listen to lots of stuff. I'm not going to introduce music with more intense themes (death, heartbreak, drugs, etc.) until they're older, but they're only 3 and 5, so I don't see a reason to throw that on them. However, once they're old enough that they're getting their own music, I'm not going to monitor or restrict it. My husband and I are both musicians, so we'll probably all have lots of conversation about music (and play together, I hope!), but we'll never monitor it.

Thoughts? As a musician, I'm very interested in what other people have to say about this.
So you're saying they won't be listening to "pop that coochie" anytime soon?

Old 12-29-2010, 08:56 AM

2,189 posts, read 7,053,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
We've never censored music either. I've never understood parents who do. But it's their choice to censor.

I'm not into dictating creative thinking. I preferred to allow my childen to find their own talents and "voice" in the world.

Their taste in music is varied---they like classical, rock, hip hop, etc. They seem to like everything BUT country.

They play a wide range of instruments too---one plays violin to drums and a few instruments in between.

LOL get back with me on not censoring after one of your kids come home with Nickleback and crank up Something In Your Mouth.

busta

Old 12-29-2010, 09:27 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,707,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bustaduke View Post
LOL get back with me on not censoring after one of your kids come home with Nickleback and crank up Something In Your Mouth.

busta
Yes - people can complain about rap music or heavy metal but it's the pop music that's the worst garbage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting