Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2011, 12:29 PM

3,493 posts, read 7,930,200 times

Advertisements

I agree with the guy's names for girls trend - in my office we have girls named Kyle, Austin, Ryan, Griffin, Allyn, Hunter, and Carson.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2011, 01:09 PM

436 posts, read 1,522,856 times
I know a boy named Adam Apple. I also knew kids named Heaven-Leigh, Madgesty, Malone (after Sam Malone on Cheers) and Precious.

Old 01-01-2011, 11:29 PM

2,059 posts, read 5,747,057 times
On the very first page of our school directory there is a Damiyen. And my favorite is Annjelyze.

We also have a Ubaldy.

And at least 20 Megans, 20 Brandons, 20 Mackenzies and 20 Zacharys. And it's a small school.

Old 01-02-2011, 09:33 AM

88,525 posts, read 84,705,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A_Gazela View Post
Don't forget Clittoria! I thought that one was funny. I agree that the same names always come up, BUT maybe we're just telling ourselves "no, there is NO ONE stupid enough to give his/her child that name..." We want to believe people will stop themselves...but not everyone does!

My issue with names is personal, in that I don't want to give my child (if I ever have one) an overly-ethnic name. I grew up with a weird last name that I always had to spell and pronounce for everyone. Now I have a slightly better one, but one that is still just as confusing to pronounce and spell. So I appreciate, really appreciate, a nice, normal, Western-sounding first or last name.

My husband is an immigrant and a Muslim so there are tons of interesting names to choose from if I want to take one from that side. Names like Khalid, Omar, Hakim and Salim are decent, but of course the ones I like are a little more "out there" like Nouraddine, Ilham, Adlane, Badri, Fadil... BUT I remember the kid's going to go through his life always having to repeat his name to everyone he meets. I know how annoying that is. OTOH the lucky ones who are named something like Joe Smith have to get their identities confused with different people.
I like the name Khalid. There's a nice-looking young man at work with that name, so I associate it with him.

Old 01-02-2011, 09:34 AM

88,525 posts, read 84,705,921 times
I know a female Aaron, and she is in her mid-thirties. When I was first introduced, I thought she was saying "Erin".

Old 01-02-2011, 10:22 AM

4,471 posts, read 9,832,939 times
The first baby born in the new year in nyc was named princess avana.

Old 01-02-2011, 10:26 AM

970 posts, read 2,212,700 times
I like gender neutral names. Being concerned over telling if a name belongs to a boy or girl is a little silly...what about people of different ethnicities? Are you going to freak out if you can't tell whether Bao Yu or Kaija are boys or girls, even though those are considered perfectly "normal" names in their countries of origin?

I don't necessarily think it is a smart idea to name a boy Stephanie instead of Stephen or a girl Robert instead of Roberta, but if a name is common for both males and females what is wrong with that? Morgan is a good, strong name for a boy; it's also a good, strong name for a girl and is common in both genders. Same with names like Taylor, Jamie, or Jessie.

Old 01-02-2011, 11:19 AM

9,546 posts, read 7,066,596 times
But we aren't talking about people from other ethnicities and other countries. We are talking about our own communities.

There is nothing "wrong" with Taylor/Tyler/Chris/Morgan/Parker/etc., etc. etc.

But neither is there anything "wrong" with a girl having a traditionally feminine name and a boy having a traditionally masculine name.

Parents are into giving children names that no-one else has. I knew a girl named (first name) Fields. IMHO, that is a little stupid, akin to naming your child Apple, Sparrow, or Moon Unit ala so many celebrities.

Old 01-02-2011, 06:31 PM

14,785 posts, read 24,073,706 times
I kid you not I went to school with a girl named christmas snow aka chrissy snow and chevy nova (her dad was real big on cars ) . yeah I think the stupidest name I have ever heard was that Jason Lee , the actor named his kid Inspektor , I dont remember the middle name but my god come on people use some common sense .

Old 01-02-2011, 09:38 PM

852 posts, read 1,364,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
I kid you not I went to school with a girl named christmas snow aka chrissy snow and chevy nova (her dad was real big on cars ) . yeah I think the stupidest name I have ever heard was that Jason Lee , the actor named his kid Inspektor , I dont remember the middle name but my god come on people use some common sense .
It was Pilot Inspektor. I have no idea why I remember that! lol.

As a college instructor, I see a fair number of interesting names: Darielle, Lashunte, and Juleah. Gender neutral names are increasingly popular. When I look at my roster and see Jordan, I know it could be either a man or a woman. I'd rather see unusual names than popular ones. I define unusual as names that we've heard of and can pronounce but aren't shared by half of the preschool class, names like Penelope or Martin.

However, I have a bias against names where Y is substituted for other vowels as in Krys or Jackye. They seem like Rock of Love names to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting