Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2011, 07:32 PM

4,267 posts, read 6,184,279 times

Advertisements

9NEWS.com | Denver | Colorado's Online News Leader | High-tech grocery carts have movie screens
Quote:
Attention all shoppers, the next time you go to grab a grocery cart, you might notice some new carts added to the bunch. They aren't just any carts, they're carts catered to your kids. If you look close enough, you'll notice a movie monitor.
I hope that I don't see these in my local grocery stores. I'm not anti-TV or movies for kids but this just takes things too far.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2011, 07:58 PM

1,594 posts, read 3,057,490 times
The era of constant stimulation. ADHD diagnoses are through the roof.

Old 02-15-2011, 08:33 PM

1,149 posts, read 4,206,140 times
How ridiculous. I actually am pretty anti-TV - at least for the first two years, and am rather proud that my son, almost a year old, hasn't watched any at all.

If you can't keep raise a child to keep it together on a trip to the grocery store (where they were likely watching TV in the car, before they got into the car, and will resume it after they get home) then you really need to reevaluate activities for your child. Like, you know, interacting with people instead of blankly watching a TV screen while their imaginations dwindle into nothingness.

Old 02-15-2011, 08:46 PM

2,059 posts, read 5,749,627 times
My local Meijer has these, they cost a $1 or two to rent. Did not enjoy having to tell my little girl she couldn't go in it.

Old 02-15-2011, 09:16 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,061,041 times
I don't know why everyone is making a big deal. The grocery store isnt' forcing you to use this version of cart. They still have the old fashioned kind with the folding seat. I never pushed one of those weird plastic car carts around. Parents either fall for this crap or they don't. There's no reaon to get in an uproar about it.

Old 02-15-2011, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
I don't know why everyone is making a big deal. The grocery store isnt' forcing you to use this version of cart. They still have the old fashioned kind with the folding seat. I never pushed one of those weird plastic car carts around. Parents either fall for this crap or they don't. There's no reaon to get in an uproar about it.
Did they have those car carts when your kids were little?

Old 02-15-2011, 09:51 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,176,449 times
I saw one, and didn't realize it had a TV in it at the time. Likely my kids wouldn't know either. I guess like anything else, if you don't like it, don't use it.

Old 02-15-2011, 09:52 PM

852 posts, read 1,365,566 times
I hate the car carts! They're too dang hard to steer, and I don't have a lot of patience for grocery shopping to begin with. Luckily my youngest is 7, so I tell her she's too big for the car cart, and I have her help me get the groceries.

TVs are everywhere. It's unavoidable. Is the tv on the cart that far removed from the shopper who has to talk on her cell phone the whole time she's in the store?

My complaint is of a different kind. Who's picking up the cost of these high tech carts?

Old 02-15-2011, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucygirl951 View Post
My complaint is of a different kind. Who's picking up the cost of these high tech carts?
According to this report: Grocery-Cart TV for Kids of Shoppers : NPR the carts can bring in an additional $20,000 per year for the store is sales because they are so popular.

A couple of reasons why I think these are a bad idea:

They are a huge temptation to most kids, just like the car carts that most parents loathe. They are brightly colored and look like mini cars. Kids will be attracted to that kind of marketing no matter what. I can see them leading to more, not less tantrums when parents say no to using them.

I think about the implications this has on our society as a whole. Kids can now watch TV at home, in the car and now many will also be glued to the screen while grocery shopping which is a time where they could be interacting with the world at large learning about their environment, food, money as well as observing and practicing social interactions.

Old 02-15-2011, 10:15 PM

852 posts, read 1,365,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorthy View Post
According to this report: Grocery-Cart TV for Kids of Shoppers : NPR the carts can bring in an additional $20,000 per year for the store is sales because they are so popular.

A couple of reasons why I think these are a bad idea:

They are a huge temptation to most kids, just like the car carts that most parents loathe. They are brightly colored and look like mini cars. Kids will be attracted to that kind of marketing no matter what. I can see them leading to more, not less tantrums when parents say no to using them.

I think about the implications this has on our society as a whole. Kids can now watch TV at home, in the car and now many will also be glued to the screen while grocery shopping which is a time where they could be interacting with the world at large learning about their environment, food, money as well as observing and practicing social interactions.
Really? I'm not questioning you, Dorthy, but that $20,000 figure! Wow!

I agree with everything you've said here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting