Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-01-2011, 10:42 AM

13,429 posts, read 9,960,461 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
Kiddie drinks are tough. We spend a lot of time out and about, so drinks at home and out are different. At home it's water, milk, or milk with ovaltine. DD likes orange juice, and I mix it 1/2 and 1/2 with sprite zero. Occasionally diet soda like root beer, but not often. We make smoothies quite a bit too - ice, f/f yogurt, and whatever fruit.

Out it's water, and sometimes in restaurants chocolate milk.

At school in lunchboxes it's water, chocolate or vanilla milk boxes (either Kirkland or Horizon) Fruit2O (fruit flavored water) that Costco sells, or fruitables boxes.

The kids do ask for fruit juice now and again, and we buy it, but very seldom. I also make frozen popsicles out of fruit juice, especially OJ, and their fave is to use the Trader Joes Mango Smoothie for popsicles. Yummy!
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
I was big on water (Walmart had a spring water years ago that was dirt cheap and delicious - not going to drink L.A. water) and iced de-caf herb tea. And lots of milk. (Milk seems to have fallen out of favor but we were guzzlers. I still am.) We were also huge on apple cider.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
We pretty much stick with juice, milk, and water. When we're out they sometimes drink lemonade. Fortunately they don't like carbonated drinks, so no soda yet. I'd like to postpone that as long as possible.
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
No...birthday is tomorrow...but yes,dinner out is tonight. Looking forward to it - this is my gang that gets together from time to time. We all got to know each other when our boys were playing sports together....and even though our kids don't "hang" together too much any more (different schools, different groups etc) we get together every now and then (birthdays for sure) and catch up....It did put a smile on my face though - I went on facebook last night and saw all the birthday wishes to DS...some of those boys were from long ago teams...the names brought back lots of memories....

Can't remember too much about beverages when they were young - we are big water drinkers here (and unsweetened, decaf iced tea)....although DS still loves those chocolate milk boxes....which I buy from time to time at Costco...DH is the soda drinker around here...kids will drink it occasionally and I will buy it to have around mainly so when friends come over there is something "cool" to have around....
Thanks guys. I'll look out for the fruit20 and stuff like that at Costco. There aren't many options, it seems. Everything is so sugary. I looked at the OJ we have in the fridge and it's 24g of sugar . Water is great, of course - maybe I'll go back to the cucumber water, she likes that.

We make fruit popsicles out of fruit juice too. (and chocolate pudding mix ). She doesn't drink much milk, her pedi discouraged it early on and we've never gotten back into the habit.

- I just asked her what we should drink, and she said make apple water by putting apples in with ice water. Sounds good to me.

mm - have a great night out! Happy Birthday Eve.

Old 09-01-2011, 10:46 AM

12,980 posts, read 14,570,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by num1baby View Post
Ok. If I share the drinks I give DD, I will get another "Bad Mommy" smack from all of the good parents out there.

We go through a lot of Hawaiian Punch (really cheap), water, milk, some juice, and a lot of Crystal light. We also use Mio quite a bit to change up the water. The crystal light is made in 2.5 gallon batches and is in a container with a spout so it is really easy for DD to get.

It is hard to find healthy drinks.
I don't think you are a bad mommy at all. What I have found for my kids though is that it's really hard to break bad eating habits when they are older (as I am learning the hard way ). It is much easier to only give them the healthier options, especially at home, and make the other treats accessible when out and about or at other people's houses.

Old 09-01-2011, 10:54 AM

13,429 posts, read 9,960,461 times
Quote:
Ok. If I share the drinks I give DD, I will get another "Bad Mommy" smack from all of the good parents out there.
Oh no, not at all. That's why I had to ask. There really aren't many options.

Quote:
We go through a lot of Hawaiian Punch (really cheap), water, milk, some juice, and a lot of Crystal light. We also use Mio quite a bit to change up the water. The crystal light is made in 2.5 gallon batches and is in a container with a spout so it is really easy for DD to get.

It really is. Even the supposed healthy drinks really aren't. There's not a lot of difference between packaged juice and soda, really. When I was a kid, we'd drink Chocolate Milk and what we used to call Cordial, which was kind of a liquid Kool Aid - and lots of Lemonade, which you guys call 7 Up. (Still get that one confused occasionally.) Stuff we'd probably go to jail for if we served it to our kids now. I used to drink full strength strong black tea from my Great Auntie Hilba's saucer. Must've been real talkative after that.

Old 09-01-2011, 11:12 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,185,020 times
Quote:

Hawaiian Punch: Product Information

Honestly, you should probably rethink that choice. Sugar and artificial flavors.

Quote:
My home town was just ranked the least liveable city in the world....even falling behind cities in Libya and Iraq. How depressing is that?

Liveability Ranking August 2011 - Economist Intelligence Unit
I can't see the link w/o registering. At least you aren't there anymore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Considering what your country has gone through, Zim, I'm just glad you're here!

BTW: Are you a fan of the Battlefield Band? DH got us tickets to see them in a couple of months when they come through town. He's a HUGE fan of theirs. I need to find something in "Scottish Cool" to wear.
DH and I love Celtic music too. I'll have to look them up.

Old 09-01-2011, 12:16 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,194,204 times
Just back from Trader Joe's. I hadn't been there in months. Boy, did they raise their prices. With DH's new-found love of dollar stores I think that's where we're going to be hanging out. But... I took the long way home past all the horse ranches and cool old adobe houses. One of the Arabian ranches had them all out in front. Way cool. It makes me remember the good parts about putting up with these temps. (We had a LOW of 91 last night. Ugg.)

Old 09-01-2011, 12:37 PM

1,933 posts, read 3,752,988 times
Quote:
Good Morning All You Beautiful CDMWR!

How is everyone today? DS is back at school, although still a little poorly.

I just got the go-ahead from our new principal to implement the No Place For Hate campaign, and I am ecstatic! Woot!

Here's a question; does Marc Anthony not know he now goes from being Mr. J. Lo back to being that skinny, slightly creepy looking dude who sings cheesy Spanish ballads?

Good Morning All!

Zimbo- he was always Skeletor to me! I just do not understand how he gets women. Supposedly he was hooking up with Jada Pinkett-Smith and that is what started the ball rolling on the divorce with J.Lo and rumours of Will Smith leaving. I do not get what women find attractive.

Congrats on the campaign!

Nummy do not worry about being the bad mommy on drinks...because I am the bad mommy on certain snacks...Lil Crappy Debbie cake snakes. I need to start baking again. I wish MM could teach me how to bake a pie.

How the heck did you all become friends?

On another note, I returned from Doctors office and heard the babys heartbeat for the first time. It was nice. He said by heartbeat standards it sounds like a girl. He doesn't want me on bed rest anymore because he doesn't want me to gain hardly any weight this trimester. Which is good but I wish this heat would leave, so I can go out walking more! We are just waiting for the big appointment and hoping that everything comes out ok!

Old 09-01-2011, 12:49 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,194,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOriginalMrsX View Post
On another note, I returned from Doctors office and heard the babys heartbeat for the first time.
That just made my day!!

And Zim, I missed the OK on the campaign. Congratulations! You get one too:

Old 09-01-2011, 01:00 PM

3,388 posts, read 3,905,515 times
Quote:
How the heck did you all become friends?

On another note, I returned from Doctors office and heard the babys heartbeat for the first time. It was nice. He said by heartbeat standards it sounds like a girl. He doesn't want me on bed rest anymore because he doesn't want me to gain hardly any weight this trimester. Which is good but I wish this heat would leave, so I can go out walking more! We are just waiting for the big appointment and hoping that everything comes out ok!
Tried to friend you too, Mrs X but got a message saying your settings won't accept incoming friend requests??

And YAY!!! Congrats on hearing Baby X's heartbeat!! That is the best news I've heard all week!!

Old 09-01-2011, 01:05 PM

3,388 posts, read 3,905,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
- I just asked her what we should drink, and she said make apple water by putting apples in with ice water. Sounds good to me.

mm - have a great night out! Happy Birthday Eve.
Awesome re: apple water! Points for creativity, Miss FR! I can't be much help on drinks - DS has never really liked juice, so he's mainly a water and milk kid, with the occasional sip of my lemonade.

Happy early b-day, mm!

Old 09-01-2011, 01:11 PM

4,564 posts, read 10,957,954 times
Quote:

That is very, very good news!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting