Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-15-2011, 07:58 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,176,449 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkcoop View Post
Well, we use a credit card for everything too (well, not mortgage, etc.) and pay it off each month. The "rewards" - 1% - go into our son's 529 account. We've had the card for years and years.

I'm so annal - hate to admit this - I have separate accounts at our bank for emergency, general savings, and a trip account. I'm afraid if I put it all into one, it will get mixed up between what is okay for what. I'm obviously one of those people that needs to compartmentalize things!
I've considered doing this but never have. I don't even know how to "save up for a trip" when it is all in one account. I hate to admit this - we don't set aside a certain amount to put in savings every month. I wish we did. We must be doing something right because we have more in savings than we did a few years ago. I think it has come from vacation cash-outs and tax returns, and things like that. I would just really like a job so we don't cut it so close each month. I'm tired of getting by. I want to really start saving for college, retirement, and home improvements.

Old 08-15-2011, 07:58 AM

13,423 posts, read 9,955,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Oh, no! Better get myself dressed and go buy my caffeine of choice!
Off you go! Are you still on the Mountain Dew wagon or have you fallen off?

Old 08-15-2011, 08:09 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,061,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
I've considered doing this but never have. I don't even know how to "save up for a trip" when it is all in one account. I hate to admit this - we don't set aside a certain amount to put in savings every month. I wish we did. We must be doing something right because we have more in savings than we did a few years ago. I think it has come from vacation cash-outs and tax returns, and things like that. I would just really like a job so we don't cut it so close each month. I'm tired of getting by. I want to really start saving for college, retirement, and home improvements.
You're not alone. All of our savings and investments have come via big chunks of money via inheritences, income tax returns, severences, 401k deductions, profits generated by our investments, etc. We live on our monthly earnings, pretending all of that money doesn't exist. How to start putting even more away every money is mindboggling to me. I've considered doing split direct deposit into a savings account, figuring if it's out of sight it's out of mind, but we don't have direct deposit at the moment. Since we're going to learn how to live on DH's income over the next few months, I'd like to just bank my paychecks when I start working. It would be fantastic to save an entire income but I guess that's unrealistic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
Off you go! Are you still on the Mountain Dew wagon or have you fallen off?
I fell off! DS finished it off while I was sleeping last night!

Old 08-15-2011, 08:19 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,462,628 times
FR - Dew was getting a second wave of whatever she had last weekend. Hoping she feels better today and it didn't turn ugly or anything.

DS is back at at school - yay. Hopefully he can continue to feel good this week just going to school and coming home. If he manages that successfully, he can probably go back to work next week. He phoned his work yesterday to let them know the plan since his doctor's note said "out indefinitely" ....

Today's challenge? Cleaning out the closet in our master bedroom...right now it's

Old 08-15-2011, 08:20 AM

4,564 posts, read 10,955,920 times
Morning all!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
I've considered doing split direct deposit into a savings account, figuring if it's out of sight it's out of mind, but we don't have direct deposit at the moment. Since we're going to learn how to live on DH's income over the next few months, I'd like to just bank my paychecks when I start working.
One thing you might be able to do is just set up an automatic transfer each month to a savings account of some sort.

First of each month I have "x" amount transfer to the different savings account. The other nice feature that I really like that Wells Fargo has is I can set up an account goal. And I can see how I'm progressing along the way. There is something mentally satisfying about that. Well - at least for me anyway given the way my brain seems to work!

I'm hoping Dew is okay as well. We haven't heard a peep since she said she felt she was coming back down with whatever she had and was going to go see Jack under the sink.

Old 08-15-2011, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
DS is back at at school - yay. Hopefully he can continue to feel good this week just going to school and coming home. If he manages that successfully, he can probably go back to work next week. He phoned his work yesterday to let them know the plan since his doctor's note said "out indefinitely" ....
That's very good news!

Old 08-15-2011, 08:23 AM

3,388 posts, read 3,904,404 times
Morning all!

FR - Yay! You survived!!

mm - Glad to hear DS made it to school today! Good luck with your closet - we were just working on ours yesterday, hoping to get the master bed set up by the end of the week. It's very satisfying to get rid of more boxes!!

Hopes - get thee some caffeine, woman!!

Wish us luck - I'm bringing DS with me for my tooth cleaning appt this morning, so we can prepare him for his first dental visit. He is already cranky, so I'm more than a little nervous that he is going to freak out.

And all this talk about budgeting and finances actually has me thinking about how you taught your kids about money, savings, budgeting, etc. My parents did a solid job teaching us but I still had some trial-and-error learning in my 20s. Any suggestions would be welcome!!

Old 08-15-2011, 08:26 AM

Yes - hopefully he had a relatively mild case. Keeping my finger's crossed. DD felt better then took a turn for the worse and got much worse. I think though, that DS has been better about doing absolutely nothing (go figure LOL) and staying hydrated. I really think that's what DD's worst thing was - her throat hurt so much that she just wouldn't drink much- no matter how much I tried. DS was much much better about drinking lots of Gatorade in addition to all the popsicles.

Old 08-15-2011, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastwesteastagain View Post
Wish us luck - I'm bringing DS with me for my tooth cleaning appt this morning, so we can prepare him for his first dental visit. He is already cranky, so I'm more than a little nervous that he is going to freak out.
That's not a bad idea - hope it goes well!

Okay - the young guy that rents our commercial building just came by with his rent check - my my..... he is one good looking guy. And of course it looks like I just rolled out of bed......

Old 08-15-2011, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkcoop View Post
That's not a bad idea - hope it goes well!

Okay - the young guy that rents our commercial building just came by with his rent check - my my..... he is one good looking guy. And of course it looks like I just rolled out of bed......
A hot god?! Lucky you - and of course you look like that - isn't that how it seems to work
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting