Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-02-2011, 10:23 AM

13,453 posts, read 9,974,014 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastwesteastagain View Post
Ha - my colleges didn't even look like college campuses! But I know what you mean. I can also completely understand wanting to avoid the suburban sprawl. We're both lucky - PA overall has a really good school system. Are you in the Philly SD? I hear they have some amazing charter schools, though I'm less familiar than with the ones in Montco.
I have nothing against the suburbs per se - especially here, they're quite lovely. Not to further bore everyone to death with this subject, as I think you weren't here when we talked about it a few months ago - but I don't drive and am a die hard city dweller. We're in the Philly SD, and our current neighborhood school is not good, so I'm looking to move in the next 6 months. I've extensively pondered the pros and cons of city and suburbs, and I think we're going to end up moving to either another part of Mt Airy, or Chestnut Hill or Manayunk - all of which have good public elementary, but are not either full city or suburban hoods. The question of high school is something else altogether, and we're going to see what happens as that time approaches. The elementaries I'm looking at will strive to get her into one of the good charters or magnets, or we might go private at that point. The public high schools are not good at all.

We originally moved here from LA with the goal of her going to a suburban public school, but I've since backed down from that idea - we're going to try and find a happy medium within the Philly SD, as I really do love the flavor of the neighborhoods here in the NW of Philadelphia County. The beauty of the suburban neighborhoods does beckon occasionally, but they just aren't really practical for me, logistically speaking.

Old 09-02-2011, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOriginalMrsX View Post
FR -I did comment on it! You are really way behind. It gets really good around the Christmas Episode 2005, late 2004 and all of 2005. I do not want to reveal much because the storylines with Sharon and Dennis, Johnny Allen, Dirty Den, Kat, Alfie and Zoe are really good. Those were some great episodes and it was my very first Christmas in England.
Aww sorry! I missed it. I'm gonna go back and find it. I knew you wouldn't let me down.

Old 09-02-2011, 10:33 AM

OK X, my apologies. Hey, is Vicky upset because of the incest thing, and the disruption to her family, or does she also have a thing for Dennis?

Old 09-02-2011, 10:53 AM

1,933 posts, read 3,754,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
OK X, my apologies. Hey, is Vicky upset because of the incest thing, and the disruption to her family, or does she also have a thing for Dennis?
I believe that Vicki has a thing for Dennis and gets really upset when Sharon comes out and tells her that her and Dennis are together.

Also I meant Christmas 2004 and 2005 episodes are really great. 2004 was my first Christmas Episode, you do not want to miss. Mmm I was in London with Mr. X watching with his family eating mince pies.

Old 09-02-2011, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOriginalMrsX View Post
I believe that Vicki has a thing for Dennis and gets really upset when Sharon comes out and tells her that her and Dennis are together.

Also I meant Christmas 2004 and 2005 episodes are really great. 2004 was my first Christmas Episode, you do not want to miss. Mmm I was in London with Mr. X watching with his family eating mince pies.
Ok, that's what I thought. Oooh I can't wait. (I hate mince pies, though ).

Sharon really has a thing for her brothers. Phil Mitchell was her adoptive brother, AFAIK. Poor Sharon.

Old 09-02-2011, 11:06 AM

3,388 posts, read 3,906,977 times
Quote:
I have nothing against the suburbs per se - especially here, they're quite lovely. Not to further bore everyone to death with this subject, as I think you weren't here when we talked about it a few months ago - but I don't drive and am a die hard city dweller. We're in the Philly SD, and our current neighborhood school is not good, so I'm looking to move in the next 6 months. I've extensively pondered the pros and cons of city and suburbs, and I think we're going to end up moving to either another part of Mt Airy, or Chestnut Hill or Manayunk - all of which have good public elementary, but are not either full city or suburban hoods. The question of high school is something else altogether, and we're going to see what happens as that time approaches. The elementaries I'm looking at will strive to get her into one of the good charters or magnets, or we might go private at that point. The public high schools are not good at all.

We originally moved here from LA with the goal of her going to a suburban public school, but I've since backed down from that idea - we're going to try and find a happy medium within the Philly SD, as I really do love the flavor of the neighborhoods here in the NW of Philadelphia County. The beauty of the suburban neighborhoods does beckon occasionally, but they just aren't really practical for me, logistically speaking.
Ah, sorry - I'm late to the party! Thanks for recapping for me.

I love Chestnut Hill - we used to go to the Little Treehouse all the time when DS was younger. I'm less familiar with Mt Airy and Manayunk, but all the Philly neighborhoods do seem to have their own unique flair. We haven't managed to get into the city much since we've moved, which is a shame, because I love exploring. I don't actually know the name of the neighborhood, but one of my girlfriends lives right next to Pennypack Park - super cute area over there.

I can fully appreciate being a die-hard city-dweller and the suburbs are hard without driving. DH and I both grew up in suburbs in NY, so it feels homey to us, although I miss our city-dwelling time in Birmingham and Seattle sometimes. And then I wonder if I'm on my way to becoming a soccer mom...

Re: Philly SD - that jives with what I've heard from other friends in the city. Hey, one step at a time right? Hard to plan for high school when the little ones are just starting preschool and a lot can happen in the time before they need to start HS! I have heard good things about a lot of the elementaries.

One thing I love about the PA suburbs is the number of old towns that actually have a main street. I'm in Hatboro (yes, indeed, they manufactured hats during the Revolutionary War) and although main street isn't super impressive, there is a huge community focus "in town" and it has a nice sense of history. The library was founded in 1715 and still has a collection of its original books up in a roped off balcony area, which I find incredibly cool. But then again, we all know I'm a big dork! If I ever win the lottery, I'd love to refurbish one of those old stone farm houses (sighs with longing).

Ok, sorry, this post is way too long and rambling. I think this may qualify as verbal diarrhea!

Old 09-02-2011, 11:11 AM

1,933 posts, read 3,754,347 times
Quote:
Ok, that's what I thought. Oooh I can't wait. (I hate mince pies, though ).

Sharon really has a thing for her brothers. Phil Mitchell was her adoptive brother, AFAIK. Poor Sharon.
The first time I was given a mince meat pie I turned my nose up at it. I was like how can you eat a beef pie with raisins, cinnamon and what not in it. Then they told me there is no meat. It still put me off until Mr. X was like I will let you buy those pair of shoes at Karen Millen. I scoff that thing down like I was Jordan eating bulls testicles on I am a Celebrity, Get me out of here. I rather mince pies than bulls testicles any day.

Yes Sharon has a thing for keeping it in the family. It grossed me out then I started to read the Dear Deidre columns in the Sun.

Old 09-02-2011, 12:18 PM

6,190 posts, read 7,978,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
MM - Happy Birthday! Have a wonderful day!

Hopes - Sorry the start of the school year is not going well.

DS is having an issue with one little twerp in his class who insists DS must be Mexican. Calls him Illegal Beagle, Burrito Brains, Taco Time. Gee, wonder where he learned all of that?
My brother gets that too from some kids at school.
He actually IS like 1/4 mexican. I think his dad is half so that would make him 1/4....I think, IDK.

We have separate dads so I've never dealt with it.

He doesn't even look all that mexican either. You can tell theres some sort of brown in the kid but its not that noticeable.

Old 09-02-2011, 12:21 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,117,463 times
I just stumbled upon a great frugal living tip, ladies!

I love soaps. I'm always trying to find great soaps with natural ingredients. My favorite is a bar soap from India. The lather is fantastic and it leaves my skin feeling super soft but not oily. It's not cheap. I'm just sharing to preface what I discovered today because I'm always hoping to find a non-toxic housecleaners but most don't clean very well.

I bought Dr. Bronners Peppermint Castile liquid soap for a non-toxic pesticide. Just mix a teaspoon with a quart of water and spray. But that's not the brilliant discovery.

Since I was cleaning the bathroom for the funeral, I decided to try it there. I put a tiny bit on my cloth and it removed soap scum in one swipe. Since the smell is super potent and it would be expensive to use as a cleaner full strength, I decided to give it a shot watered down. I mixed one teaspoon into a half gallon of hot water. IT WORKED! It cut the soap scum instantly.

If I had mixed it in a bucket (only mixed it right in the bathtub), I could have cleaned the entire bathroom with just that one teaspoon, especially if I used a separate bucket for rinsing out my cleaning cloth (that way the soapy water wouldn't get dirty).

I'm sort of a germ freak. I figure if I want to disinfect, I could just use a water and bleach mixture in a spray bottle and spray everything down afterwards.

The best part is that my skin doesn't smell like chemicals! And the bathroom smells so fresh.

Dr. Bronners comes in many fregrances like peppermint, lavendar, almond, tea tree, eucalyptuse, etc.

It seems expensive, but it's really a bargain since it's super concentrated. It can even be used for laundry but I'm not sure I'll be that daring.

Old 09-02-2011, 12:48 PM

3,388 posts, read 3,906,977 times
Thanks for the tip, Hopes - I'll definitely need to check it out, because I am desperate for good cleaners and hate that bleach-y smell.

Where did you find it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.