Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-23-2011, 07:55 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,913,732 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by missela View Post
They're never going to know what it's like to have responsible, loving parents.
How do you get that someone who disagrees with you is not a responsible, loving parent? I would never allow my underaged kids to host an alcoholic sleepover but I do let them drink small amounts of alcohol at home.

They are 12, 14, 17. The youngest would be allowed a few sips of my beer. My older boys have been allowed to split a beer. My husband and I are not big drinkers although we do have a few drinks a week.

I don't allow my kids to drink so I can be their best friend. I allow them to drink because I think that alcohol is something that they need to learn how to consume in moderation. If I leave them to lean about alcohol on their own they run the risk of binge drinking and alcohol abuse. My husand and I are regular, but moderate drinkers and we feel that providing a good role model of drinking and inviting them to learn about alcohol in a controlled environment is pretty important.

You can choose to parent your children differently but that does not mean my kids will never have a responsible, loving parent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2011, 08:25 PM

593 posts, read 1,315,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdxer View Post
Say you have a 16 year old daughter. She claims that all of her friends drink alcohol at least occasionally and their parents are fine with it. They argue that allowing their children to have drinking parties but being there is the best route, because they are going to end up drinking anyway, and supervision is always better than non-supervision. Then she asks you to let her and her six female friends have a sleepover at your house, which will involve alcohol. Do you let her have the sleepover?
Tell me where is the party so that I can call Child Protection services.

Old 05-26-2011, 06:26 AM

8,568 posts, read 18,112,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by infiri View Post
Tell me where is the party so that I can call Child Protection services.
And how about the police as well? Providing alcohol to minors is a crime. How dare those other parents supply alcohol to the OP's daughter. And why is the OP not investigating to see if that is true. Either the other parents need to be taken to task for their abrogating his parental role/authority or his daughter needs to be disciplined for dishonesty.

Old 05-26-2011, 06:34 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,706,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Annie View Post
And how about the police as well? Providing alcohol to minors is a crime. How dare those other parents supply alcohol to the OP's daughter.
The OP is in Minnesota, where it IS legal for parents to give their kids alcohol.

42 States That Allow Underage (under 21) Alcohol Consumption - Drinking Age - ProCon.org

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Annie View Post
And why is the OP not investigating to see if that is true. Either the other parents need to be taken to task for their abrogating his parental role/authority or his daughter needs to be disciplined for dishonesty.
Because the scenario was actually about some people he seems to vaguely know and a situation that had already happened. Not his actual kid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdxer View Post
This IS a serious thread. I know of a real case, let's just say very close to home, in which this happened; apparently it happens all the time up here, at least in more working class / less yuppie families.

The mother in this case was a widow; her husband permitted their son, about 5 years older, parties in the garage, and even cleared out a spot on power company land (they live out in the sticks) for him to party in the summer when he was 16 years old. He himself did not drink much, but his friends often got intoxicated. She was always much stricter than her husband, and did not approve of his laxity, but the daughter herself convinced the mother that everyone drank and their parents allowed them to as long as they supervised them, so she permitted a few drinking parties in her house or near her house, the first of which was her 16th birthday party. And yes, the daughter was fond of Jagermeister. That all changed when she stabbed a girl, intoxicated, outside a local club (which her mom did not permit her to go to, but she went anyway) on their "16-and-over" night and was charged with second-degree assault (later mitigated to fifth-degree assault).

Old 05-26-2011, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
The OP is in Minnesota, where it IS legal for parents to give their kids alcohol.

42 States That Allow Underage (under 21) Alcohol Consumption - Drinking Age - ProCon.org

Because the scenario was actually about some people he seems to vaguely know and a situation that had already happened. Not his actual kid.
Actually it is still illegal because it is only allow to drink in the parents house, and only in their house, not in others parents house even with consent.

from your link:

It is unlawful for any:
(1) retail intoxicating liquor or 3.2 percent malt liquor licensee, municipal liquor store, or
bottle club permit holder under section 340A.414, to permit any person under the age of 21 years
to drink alcoholic beverages on the licensed premises or within the municipal liquor store; or
(2) person under the age of 21 years to consume any alcoholic beverages. If proven by a
preponderance of the evidence, it is an affirmative defense to a violation of this clause that the
defendant consumed the alcoholic beverage in the household of the defendant's parent or guardian
and with the consent of the parent or guardian

Also I should add. that just because is legal to give your child an alcoholic drink, that doesnt mean you can get him drunk..
Under the section of under age drinking section 340a.700's it say:

It is a Gross Misdemeanor to… Section 340A.702 states that it is a gross misdemeanor for anyone to “sell, give, furnish, or in any way procure for another alcoholic beverages for the use of an obviously intoxicated person,†(this language is from section 340A.502, to which section 702 refers); …or “to induce a person under the age of 21 years to purchase or procure any alcoholic beverage, or to lend or knowingly permit the use of the person’s driver’s license, permit, Minnesota identification card, or other form of identification by a person under the age of 21 years for the purpose of purchasing or attempting to purchase an alcoholic beverage.â€

So having parties, is illegal, they need to be only in their parents house, and second, they cant give alcohol with the purpose of intoxicating them.
So yes calling the cops would be a good idea...

It is legal, to give them wine and stuff like that, the main reason for the law, not to have parties and having all the kids drunk.

Old 05-26-2011, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Actually it is still illegal because it is only allow to drink in the parents house, and only in their house, not in others parents house even with consent.

from your link:

It is unlawful for any:
(1) retail intoxicating liquor or 3.2 percent malt liquor licensee, municipal liquor store, or
bottle club permit holder under section 340A.414, to permit any person under the age of 21 years
to drink alcoholic beverages on the licensed premises or within the municipal liquor store; or
(2) person under the age of 21 years to consume any alcoholic beverages. If proven by a
preponderance of the evidence, it is an affirmative defense to a violation of this clause that the
defendant consumed the alcoholic beverage in the household of the defendant's parent or guardian
and with the consent of the parent or guardian

Also I should add. that just because is legal to give your child an alcoholic drink, that doesnt mean you can get him drunk..
Under the section of under age drinking section 340a.700's it say:

It is a Gross Misdemeanor to… Section 340A.702 states that it is a gross misdemeanor for anyone to “sell, give, furnish, or in any way procure for another alcoholic beverages for the use of an obviously intoxicated person,†(this language is from section 340A.502, to which section 702 refers); …or “to induce a person under the age of 21 years to purchase or procure any alcoholic beverage, or to lend or knowingly permit the use of the person’s driver’s license, permit, Minnesota identification card, or other form of identification by a person under the age of 21 years for the purpose of purchasing or attempting to purchase an alcoholic beverage.â€

So having parties, is illegal, they need to be only in their parents house, and second, they cant give alcohol with the purpose of intoxicating them.
So yes calling the cops would be a good idea...

It is legal, to give them wine and stuff like that, the main reason for the law, not to have parties and having all the kids drunk.
That doesn't negate the fact that the scenario already happened and didn't involve the OP at all. There was no "calling the cops would be a good idea." The 16-year-old in question got drunk on Jaegermeister and stabbed someone, and the cops presumably dealt with it. If the girl's mom got in trouble from the police, there's the answer to whether it was allowed or not--but we didn't get that piece of the legend!

Old 05-26-2011, 09:18 AM

18,471 posts, read 31,643,914 times
IMO, 16 year old's DO NOT NEED alcohol at a sleep over.

period and end of of it.

Old 05-26-2011, 09:27 AM

Quote:
That doesn't negate the fact that the scenario already happened and didn't involve the OP at all. There was no "calling the cops would be a good idea." The 16-year-old in question got drunk on Jaegermeister and stabbed someone, and the cops presumably dealt with it. If the girl's mom got in trouble from the police, there's the answer to whether it was allowed or not--but we didn't get that piece of the legend!
I agree, i am not attacking the OP, I am just saying that if i would known the address I would call services and maybe the police since is actually illegal.

Old 05-26-2011, 09:38 AM

Quote:
I agree, i am not attacking the OP, I am just saying that if i would known the address I would call services and maybe the police since is actually illegal.
Ah, I see. I don't know whether I would or not. I don't want anybody to get the wrong idea ... I do not buy my daughter alcohol (although I did give her a sip of something once at her request, and she thought it was disgusting, as I expected ), and I would not allow her to go to a party like this. But I tend to mind my own business about this kind of thing, too. I would call the cops if I found out kids were drinking and driving, because that's a public safety issue, but if some 16-year-old kids down the street were drinking and playing Halo with a parent present--none of my business. I'm not going to march over there to see signed permission slips from the other kids' parents or anything like that. And if one of the kid's parents confronted me and asked, "You knew my child was drinking? Why didn't you say tell me? Why didn't you call the police?"--my answer would be, "Because you're his parent, not me."

Old 05-26-2011, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Ah, I see. I don't know whether I would or not. I don't want anybody to get the wrong idea ... I do not buy my daughter alcohol (although I did give her a sip of something once at her request, and she thought it was disgusting, as I expected ), and I would not allow her to go to a party like this. But I tend to mind my own business about this kind of thing, too. I would call the cops if I found out kids were drinking and driving, because that's a public safety issue, but if some 16-year-old kids down the street were drinking and playing Halo with a parent present--none of my business. I'm not going to march over there to see signed permission slips from the other kids' parents or anything like that. And if one of the kid's parents confronted me and asked, "You knew my child was drinking? Why didn't you say tell me? Why didn't you call the police?"--my answer would be, "Because you're his parent, not me."
Well I understand, and that is the difference between you and I..
You wont call, but I would...
this is because you are thinking of privacy and their own business.
I am thinking of the kids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting