Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2011, 04:07 PM

500 posts, read 750,141 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
My daughter has special needs also, and in case this was relevant or helpful to you, I wanted to recommend this book:

Amazon.com: Taking Care of Myself: A Hygiene, Puberty and Personal Curriculum for Young People with Autism (0800706001079): Mary Wrobel: Books

We struggled with how to tell our daughter what would be happening to her and how to deal with it in language she would understand.

Thanks! I will check it out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2011, 12:58 PM

16 posts, read 42,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
In the Stone Ages it was common to not let young women wear tampons because it could somehow damage their virginity (hymen). I don't think it was as much a physical concern as it was a moral issue.

What is the modern thinking about this? I remember I had to sneak tampax into my house even tho I was still a virgin in high school but I wasn't about to wear pads during PE, swimming etc. My mother found them in my purse and you would have thought it was the end of the world with her thinking I was a fallen woman. When I tried to tell her all my friends wore them, her response was that we would live to regret it on our wedding night. That was many decades ago but I'm sure there are still some people who believe that.

How do your young daughters handle period time? I'm hoping I still have about 2 years left before I have to face this again but I need to know what the current thinking is.

Many thanks.
I am inclined to say high school because most girls have had their periods a while and know a little more about their bodies to know when to change. BUT if this keeps my girls from participating in certain activities, I will make special considerations as long as they are mature enough to understand.

Old 05-24-2011, 08:28 PM

2,358 posts, read 5,989,983 times
I think I've been hiding behind some rock of innocence or something because in all of my nearly 53 years, I've never heard of anybody being told they can only wear tampons if they're married or that you can only wear them if you're not a virgin anymore or any of those other crazy old wives tales. This is a new thing to me. I got my period back in the dark ages when pads were worn with belts. It was January of 1970 and I was 11. My mom had told me about both pads and tampons - I was freaked out about the whole insertion thing of tampons, so we went and got the belt and pads. I felt like everybody who got anywhere near me would know that I was having my period. I didn't want to go anywhere. By my third or fourth period, my mom convinced me to try tampons. She had me practice while she stood out side the door coaching me (I was too embarrassed to have her in there with me.)

I have two daughters who are coming close to puberty. They have seen tampons and pads both and know (basically) about periods. I will be teaching them both what to do and I'll be packing a little care kit for them to keep in their lockers at school. I love the idea of showing them with a soda bottle how to deal with tampons (and I'll be sure to teach them about putting a pad adhesive side down!) When I got my period, it was such a hush hush thing. I do not want them to feel the shame I felt (not brought on by my mom but by the general non-talking that was done at that time.)

Interesting topic!

Old 05-24-2011, 08:39 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,231,036 times
yuck--those horrible belts and mattress pads. And you know the generations before that used old rags (hence the gross saying) which had to be washed and rewashed. We have it so much easier than our women ancestors.

My 27 year old daughter is on some BC which means she has only 3 or 4 periods a year. Would that even be available to younger girls?

Old 05-24-2011, 10:17 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,983,148 times
Hey, you could always use the Diva Cup nowadays...

Menstrual cup - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 05-24-2011, 10:21 PM

2,358 posts, read 5,989,983 times
I lived in West Africa in my 20s in a village where women still used rags. I brought a zillion ob tampons with me so I didn't need to do that, thank goodness. My closest fellow Peace Corps neighbor brought tampons with applicators. She knew she needed to start burning her own trash when one day she saw a bunch of kids with pretend musical instruments in their mouths and then she realized they were her tampon applicators! The applicators, along with any other potentially usable objects, were routinely removed from my friend's trash and used. Even though 25+ years have passed, we still laugh about that .

Old 05-24-2011, 11:23 PM

6,190 posts, read 7,987,785 times
Quote:
yuck--those horrible belts and mattress pads. And you know the generations before that used old rags (hence the gross saying) which had to be washed and rewashed. We have it so much easier than our women ancestors.

My 27 year old daughter is on some BC which means she has only 3 or 4 periods a year. Would that even be available to younger girls?
You can check into that.
I know some girls as young as 13 have been on birth control. None personally, just have heard.

I am on birth control and take the pills so I only have 3-4 periods a year. So far this year, I have had one period out of almost 6 months? I LOVE IT!
Best thing ever.

Old 05-25-2011, 12:54 PM

2,825 posts, read 6,937,260 times
Quote:
I use washable menstrual pads by choice. It's really not difficult. Once I started using cloth diapers, I figured I'd use cloth pads for myself too. It's not a big deal.

Homestead Emporium

Old 05-25-2011, 02:54 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,498,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADVentive View Post
I use washable menstrual pads by choice. It's really not difficult. Once I started using cloth diapers, I figured I'd use cloth pads for myself too. It's not a big deal.

Homestead Emporium
Just one question - Why?

P.S. I clicked the link, and those pads look like they were used before being photographed. Shudder.

Old 05-25-2011, 03:01 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,782,805 times
Quote:

My 13-year-old is on Depo, so she doesn't get her period at all. She's developmentally disabled and wasn't taking care of herself. After a year or so of it, we put her on Depo. She's just not equipped to handle it yet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting