Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2011, 03:47 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,872,184 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADVentive View Post
I use washable menstrual pads by choice. It's really not difficult. Once I started using cloth diapers, I figured I'd use cloth pads for myself too. It's not a big deal.

Homestead Emporium
I admire people who are frugal or concerned enough about the environment to use washable pads. I've even seen patterns for crocheted tampons (using cotton yarn).

I'm not at that point yet myself, but good for you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2011, 03:53 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,078,069 times
yeah, I was going to say it must be an environmental concern issue. Thank god I don't have that problem anymore but with two little ones getting to that stage in the next few years, I don't think I could expect them to use washable protection. Now a grown woman can make that decision but a 12 or 13 year old girl? Do you know how teased and bullied she would be?

Old 05-25-2011, 03:54 PM

1,492 posts, read 3,233,616 times
To my knowledge, all the women in our house use tampons and pads at various times. I have not been game to enter the world of secret womens business.

Old 05-25-2011, 04:03 PM

2,966 posts, read 3,916,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
yeah, I was going to say it must be an environmental concern issue. Thank god I don't have that problem anymore but with two little ones getting to that stage in the next few years, I don't think I could expect them to use washable protection. Now a grown woman can make that decision but a 12 or 13 year old girl? Do you know how teased and bullied she would be?

How would they be bullied? No one would know what they're using, unless they specifically ask.

Old 05-25-2011, 04:04 PM

6,190 posts, read 7,971,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aidxen View Post
To my knowledge, all the women in our house use tampons and pads at various times. I have not been game to enter the world of secret womens business.
I personally don't think it should be any guys business.
I think dads shouldn't be allowed to make any of those decisions in that department, too many men are close minded in that aspect.

Old 05-25-2011, 05:11 PM

2,358 posts, read 5,982,335 times
Washable pads are more environmentally friendly, however, I just cannot go that far. We've got a Prius and we are exceptionally frugal energy-wise in our house, but that is more than I could deal with. Fortunately, I am at the very tail end of my period years (thank goodness!!!!) But soon I'll have my two kids at that point.

Old 05-25-2011, 05:34 PM

5,244 posts, read 4,709,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOriginalMrsX View Post
Errr frustrating! I just wrote a long reply and it erased!

NoKudzu you and I must have had a telepathic conversation today because I just had this conversation literally two hours ago with a family member.

My neice who is twelve is aware that I use tampons and called me to ask if it was ok if she used them. I was shocked because she told me her health teacher told her it was ok. I started using tampons when I was 21 and mind you I had sex way before that...it was just imprinted in me that I should not use tampons unless I was married and out of the house. I couldn't even answer her and told her I would get back to her. She didnt speak to my sister about it because my sister doesn't use them.

I contacted another relative who is in the same boat and she too doesn't know what to say to her own daughters regarding tampons.

I have mulled it over and knowing that young girls can be lazy just to change a pad sometimes, I think I might tell my neice it is best to wait until she is older to change a tampon more frequently to prevent infection or toxic shock syndrome.

I wish I could rep you again! This is a great thread!
Same here, 22 or so...and wow what a difference it made for my whole outlook on the monthly time. What I totally hated about it was the feeling that i was peeing w/no control or that some huge gush had come out of me and the tampon completely stopped that feeling!!!! It was like WOW!!! I just knew I had to change it more often but I always wear a panty liner too.
I will teach my daughter that they are okay because she is like me and will hate that feeling too. Plus she is a great swimmer and will probably need them to swim. I want her to know that just because it is that time of the month, it will not stop from doing what she likes to do.

Old 05-25-2011, 05:43 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,697,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txtqueen View Post
I personally don't think it should be any guys business.
I think dads shouldn't be allowed to make any of those decisions in that department, too many men are close minded in that aspect.

You do realize that your post itself is an example of being close minded.

Having three daughters I can provide a unique Dad perspective. As a team my wife and I decided to both educate our daughters on their upcoming menstrual cycles and all that it entails. We explained both the positives and negatives to using pads and tampons. Our daughters choose to wear pads for the most part until they were 17 or so. They had no problem because they made the choice with utilizing pads and finding ones that worked for all occasions. Yeah the whole swimming and PE thing is bupkis also, at least according to my daughters. They laughed at quite a few of the posts from some of their so called enlightened sisters as they put it.

Some of you women who accuse men of being neanderthals in their attitudes on this issue, are just as bassackwards in your beliefs that fathers can not be involved in that part of their daughters lives.

Old 05-25-2011, 05:58 PM

2,185 posts, read 5,014,164 times
I think it's between a mother and daughter. I know I wouldn't want my dad getting involved if I use tampons or pads or even having a conversation with him about it. Actually I think he would be more uncomfortable than me. Sorry but I think it's weird. I also don't think your daughters laughed at any of the posts here, you're just making that up.

Old 05-25-2011, 06:01 PM

2,358 posts, read 5,982,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldogdad View Post
You do realize that your post itself is an example of being close minded.

Having three daughters I can provide a unique Dad perspective. As a team my wife and I decided to both educate our daughters on their upcoming menstrual cycles and all that it entails. We explained both the positives and negatives to using pads and tampons. Our daughters choose to wear pads for the most part until they were 17 or so. They had no problem because they made the choice with utilizing pads and finding ones that worked for all occasions. Yeah the whole swimming and PE thing is bupkis also, at least according to my daughters. They laughed at quite a few of the posts from some of their so called enlightened sisters as they put it.

Some of you women who accuse men of being neanderthals in their attitudes on this issue, are just as bassackwards in your beliefs that fathers can not be involved in that part of their daughters lives.
Thank you, Bulldogdad, for your involvement. I'm going to read what you wrote in your post to my husband and hope he's with me like you were with your wife in helping the girls understand all that period stuff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting