Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2011, 06:45 PM

1,899 posts, read 2,852,587 times

Advertisements

Reading another thread made me start thinking about the annoying things I have heard/experienced as a parent. I am talking about outsiders and not our kids.

1. When DD was a baby I constantly heard "You have no idea how lucky you are that your DH helps so much with the baby". Arg! I am sorry, but how is he HELPING me by taking care of his own child?

2. For some reason random strangers had a habit of coming up to DD when I was pushing her in her stroller and felt like they had to touch her. They usually tried to touch her face. I am sorry, but I don't know you. I don't know where you have been. Don't touch my child without my permission.

3. "Yay! You have a beautiful baby girl. When are you going to have the next one?" My DD is a miracle baby. I wasn't supposed to be able to have kids. She was a surprise. I don't know if I could have another one. I would like one, but it hasn't happened for us. Stop asking us that and enjoy the kid that is here.

I am sure I have more that I have blocked out because they were so annoying, but I would like to hear from others on what they think was really annoying.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2011, 06:53 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,189,293 times
"Oh, he looks just like his father!"

DH and I are both blue eyed blondes. But did I get half the credit? No.

Old 05-28-2011, 07:00 PM

2,596 posts, read 5,583,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
"Oh, he looks just like his father!"

It's always so funny how people do that. My mother and grandmother were cooing over my cousin's youngest girl a few weeks ago and exclaiming how she looked exactly like her daddy (my cousin), naming every feature and who in the family had it, etc. I'm looking over at his wife and we're trying not to laugh because, I kid you not, this sweet little girl was practically a clone of her, but all they could see was him. Too funny!

Old 05-28-2011, 07:04 PM

1,279 posts, read 4,772,246 times
I had boy/ girl twins first. I kept hearing "Oh, one of each, you are lucky, you won't have to go again!" and also "urgh twins, rather you than me!" (yes, quite!). When they were 15 months, I got pregnant again, so then I got "oh are you wanting to be like those Duggars?" and "you do know how to use birth control, right?" (our third was a miracle baby- it took us 3 years and 3 rounds of fertility treatment to get pregnant with the twins!).

Old 05-28-2011, 07:06 PM

1,820 posts, read 4,493,689 times
The MOST annoying thing I hear are many comments about my daughter's as they are both adopted from China... we've gone over it on a different thread though
Too many to say here.

One other thing I can't stand to hear is: " you are soooo LUCKY to be staying home with your kids, it is so much easier" yadda yadda yadda....
I sacrifice alot to stay home, it is what it is...

Old 05-28-2011, 07:07 PM

2,488 posts, read 4,323,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penguin_ie View Post
I had boy/ girl twins first. I kept hearing "Oh, one of each, you are lucky, you won't have to go again!" and also "urgh twins, rather you than me!" (yes, quite!). When they were 15 months, I got pregnant again, so then I got "oh are you wanting to be like those Duggars?" and "you do know how to use birth control, right?" (our third was a miracle baby- it took us 3 years and 3 rounds of fertility treatment to get pregnant with the twins!).
Wow, that is rude and uncalled for (but no offense to the Duggar family though ).

Old 05-28-2011, 07:09 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,779,981 times
Very few things annoy me as a parent more than hearing other parents say things like these to their (or any other) kids:

"Billie, you see that man up on the cross? He died for your sins."
"Billie, This man Noah took two of every animal and put them on a ship for 40 days and 40 nights."

You get the point.

YouTube - ‪Brain Washing ( Jesus Camp ''Highlights'' )‬‏

Old 05-28-2011, 07:10 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,537,022 times
I was a single mother; working my a$$ off to pay for our house, car etc. My non-working Mom friends would tell me how 'lucky' I was that I wasn't dependent on someone else. Or that I didn't have to 'share' my son with someone else.

AND my cousin used to say that her life was just like a single Mom cause her husband was never home. Well, yeah; except for that part about earning a living.

AND she had both of my Aunts convinced that she was SO BUSY. It got to the point where taking her one child to the pool all day was like a full-time job.

OH, and she quotes Oprah that 'raising a child is the hardest job in the world."

If I hear one more time how BUSY she is ~ I will scream! And BTW, I'm raising a child too!

Aren't you sorry you asked . . . .

Old 05-28-2011, 07:11 PM

1,073 posts, read 2,687,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by num1baby View Post
For some reason random strangers had a habit of coming up to DD when I was pushing her in her stroller and felt like they had to touch her. They usually tried to touch her face. I am sorry, but I don't know you. I don't know where you have been. Don't touch my child without my permission.
^^This^^

I don't have a blanket annoyance at strangers who touch my children, but what I find annoying are people who do not respect a child's physical space and the cues a child gives. If a child shies away, respect that. Don't keep getting in their face, touching, talking loudly. This goes for everyone - strangers, friends, family, etc.

Old 05-28-2011, 07:13 PM

117 posts, read 106,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn;19352335[B
]"Oh, he looks just like his father!"[/b]

That one pi**es me off to no end too
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting