Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2010, 09:04 PM

1 posts, read 1,623 times

Advertisements

Hi, I am 15 years old and my parents are constantly trying to take my computer away and get me out of my room. I have all A's and B's grades and don't get into trouble in school. In my free time I like to text and video chat with friends on my Mac and my parents find it "Not normal." My parent are so annoying and I ask them all the time to leave me alone. I like to have friends over but their usually my best 3 friends. Rarely do they let me do that because they dont like it when I stay in my room and hang out! Is this normal and is there anything I can do to make this stop? Thanks, Chris
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2010, 09:14 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,452,372 times
Yes. Get out of your room and off the computer from time to time.

Old 12-16-2010, 09:21 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,030,943 times
Spend some quality time with your parents. It will make them feel like you appreciate them. Then they'll leave you alone more often!

Old 12-16-2010, 09:42 PM

3,493 posts, read 7,932,925 times
Another vote for voluntarily come out of your room and join them doing something that the family enjoys. You will be surprised how just a little effort on your part to engage with the family will grant you the freedom, privacy and independence that you are seeking.

Old 12-17-2010, 04:37 AM

4,264 posts, read 9,278,166 times
Another vote for coming out of your room and interacting with your family. All too soon it will be time for you to leave your parents and this is time you will never get back.

Old 12-17-2010, 05:32 AM

2,175 posts, read 9,169,437 times
Technology is great if used right.
It's nice to chat with your friends, text, do Face Book, play games, etc.
But there is much more to life than a computer and hibernating in your room.
That is what your parents want you to realize.
They want you to know that there is much more to living than what you see on a computer.
They want you to be physically active and healthy and breathe fresh air. They want you to be a part of the family instead of an internet hermit.
At your age you think you know what is best. Well, you don't.
You must be smart as your grades indicate. You must be a pretty good kid since you don't get in trouble.
That gives you no right to exclude yourself from parents that love you and want to see you expand your horizons.
Your parents have been living much longer than you and have learned many lessons of life and what is important for the future.
You live in the present of your own self satisfaction and good times for the moment.
They are not being mean to you. They want you to become a responsible, capable, learning about life person.
You wont find all of that just looking at a computer screen and playing games, videos, etc.
That is superficial, not reality. It's only entertainment.
Your computer isn't going to take care of you when you are sick, hurt, or just need a real person to comfort you.
It wont provide food, heat, a home, family love, or anything that is really important to survive.
Only your parents can do that.
Think about it. And then thank them for caring about you.

Old 12-17-2010, 05:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robhu View Post
Technology is great if used right.
It's nice to chat with your friends, text, do Face Book, play games, etc.
But there is much more to life than a computer and hibernating in your room.
That is what your parents want you to realize.
They want you to know that there is much more to living than what you see on a computer.
They want you to be physically active and healthy and breathe fresh air. They want you to be a part of the family instead of an internet hermit.
At your age you think you know what is best. Well, you don't.
You must be smart as your grades indicate. You must be a pretty good kid since you don't get in trouble.
That gives you no right to exclude yourself from parents that love you and want to see you expand your horizons.
Your parents have been living much longer than you and have learned many lessons of life and what is important for the future.
You live in the present of your own self satisfaction and good times for the moment.
They are not being mean to you. They want you to become a responsible, capable, learning about life person.
You wont find all of that just looking at a computer screen and playing games, videos, etc.
That is superficial, not reality. It's only entertainment.
Your computer isn't going to take care of you when you are sick, hurt, or just need a real person to comfort you.
It wont provide food, heat, a home, family love, or anything that is really important to survive.
Only your parents can do that.
Think about it. And then thank them for caring about you.
excellent post and advice, tried to rep you but must spread it around

Old 12-17-2010, 06:34 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,776,455 times
I'll chime in as the resident gamer geek:

Dood. Chat and WOW is good. It's important, it's socialization x 400 + modern. I get that. But you've seen the jpgs. You know you have. And you know what I'm talking about. The guy. That really nasty looking blubbery old guy with his shirt off, in a dark dingy bedroom, staring at his computer monitor typing ASL?? in a chatroom on a Friday night.

Don't be that guy.

You need to get out of your room once in awhile. You need to put some color into your pasty-white cheeks. You need to give your fingers a break, and put your feet to use. You need to stop pretending that you're the next Jimmi Hendix, and put the Guitar Hero plastic fake guitar-looking device down. How about this - grab a REAL guitar, an accoustic. Bring it outside. Sit under a tree. Start into the distance and start playing.

You can be alone outside just as easily as you can inside. Your mama doesn't want you to "be that guy." If you ever become that guy, you'll regret it. The only way you can save yourself, is to start now.

Turn off the computer. Don't just black the monitor. Turn the whole thing off. Pretend it's a Windows update and you don't have any choice. And pretend it'll take two hours to install and reboot.

During that 2 hours, go outside, play a little 'real' guitar. Go to the mall and surround yourself with crowds of insipid holiday guerilla terrorists (aka shoppers). Defile an elf (ask a girl out on a date). Rescue a griphon (pet a kitten).

Pretend that real life is a sims game.

It's actually kind of fun and you might discover that playing Reality is worth stepping away from the puter for a couple hours a day.

Old 12-17-2010, 08:23 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,168,702 times
Leave your room as soon as you read this.

Find your mom and give her a big ol' hug. Kiss her on the cheek and tell her supper was delicious. Find your dad and say, "How 'bout dem Bears?" Plop down on the couch and watch "Wheel of Fortune" with them. Compliment Mom when she figures out the puzzle.

Tomorrow morning shovel a little snow without being asked.

After you've thoroughly enjoyed "Wheel of Fortune" and twenty minutes of discussing Lovie Smith, yawn and stretch and say, "Wow! I totally enjoyed spending time with you guys but I need to hit the books for a while do you mind if I leave you guys and go do my homework?" Give Mom another big hug. Tell dad you want to discuss the Cubbies when he has the chance. (Or the Sox. Whichever's appropriate.) Give him a fist bump.

They just want to see that you're breathing and probably want to blow the stink off you once in a while.

p.s. Clean your room. Without making a producion of the whole thing. Mom will be so surprised she'll probably make your cookies.

Old 12-17-2010, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Leave your room as soon as you read this.

Find your mom and give her a big ol' hug. Kiss her on the cheek and tell her supper was delicious. Find your dad and say, "How 'bout dem Bears?" Plop down on the couch and watch "Wheel of Fortune" with them. Compliment Mom when she figures out the puzzle.

Tomorrow morning shovel a little snow without being asked.

After you've thoroughly enjoyed "Wheel of Fortune" and twenty minutes of discussing Lovie Smith, yawn and stretch and say, "Wow! I totally enjoyed spending time with you guys but I need to hit the books for a while do you mind if I leave you guys and go do my homework?" Give Mom another big hug. Tell dad you want to discuss the Cubbies when he has the chance. (Or the Sox. Whichever's appropriate.) Give him a fist bump.

They just want to see that you're breathing and probably want to blow the stink off you once in a while.

p.s. Clean your room. Without making a producion of the whole thing. Mom will be so surprised she'll probably make your cookies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting