Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-06-2011, 03:37 PM

1,016 posts, read 4,542,960 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by West of Encino View Post
Man, there's no point in justifying your reasons to parents, especially mothers. They will never understand the childfree. What's messed up is these people judge the childfree when they're young, but they don't judge teen parents or wanna parents who can't afford the offspring.
Ummm, you're kidding, right? I can assure you that I DO NOT condone teen parenting, nor do I condone people who can't afford children having them anyway.
Quote:
To avoid any harassment and judgment, there should be separation between them and the childfree. A lot of times, parents try to get the CF to fall into their world by thrusting their offspring in their faces.
Trust me, I want nothing more than to keep my "offspring" far far away from you.
Quote:
Despite the OP, 99% of the childfree don't ask why these people choose to breed or do they regret it.
So now parents are known as "these people" like we are the enemy or something? Trust me, I think not "breeding" is a great choice on your part!

Old 06-06-2011, 03:40 PM

3,393 posts, read 4,012,063 times
Quote:
Man, there's no point in justifying your reasons to parents, especially mothers. They will never understand the childfree. What's messed up is these people judge the childfree when they're young, but they don't judge teen parents or wanna parents who can't afford the offspring.

To avoid any harassment and judgment, there should be separation between them and the childfree. A lot of times, parents try to get the CF to fall into their world by thrusting their offspring in their faces.

Despite the OP, 99% of the childfree don't ask why these people choose to breed or do they regret it.
Oh please, I judge EVERYONE!

Also, I don't think my posts are particularly judgemental. I try not to talk down to younger people. Everyone has a valid point of view. And I absolutely support someone's decision not to have children. I have posted in other child free threads that I think TOO MANY people have kids that are not equipped to do it.

I just think rushing into a vasectomy is ill-advised at this point in his life. I think he should keep an open mind, just as I have an open mind toward the child free.

I do think some of you are too dismissive of him based on his age. If I tell my son that he doesn't know anything because he's only 19, guess how much he is going to listen to my point of view in the future? Please, show some respect...

Old 06-06-2011, 03:46 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,176,449 times
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Book Lover 21 View Post
Oh please, I judge EVERYONE!

Also, I don't think my posts are particularly judgemental. I try not to talk down to younger people. Everyone has a valid point of view. And I absolutely support someone's decision not to have children. I have posted in other child free threads that I think TOO MANY people have kids that are not equipped to do it.

I just think rushing into a vasectomy is ill-advised at this point in his life. I think he should keep an open mind, just as I have an open mind toward the child free.

I do think some of you are too dismissive of him based on his age. If I tell my son that he doesn't know anything because he's only 19, guess how much he is going to listen to my point of view in the future? Please, show some respect...
I might show some respect if he did. The parents here have said over and over that we don't care if these "CF" posters ever have kids or not. They return the favor by telling US that WE don't get it. Give me a break.

I wonder what kind of reception they thought they'd get in a PARENTING forum?

Old 06-06-2011, 03:47 PM

23,416 posts, read 37,007,099 times
Quote:
Those people were actually childless, not childfree. There's a difference between the two terms.
Elucidate on the difference, please.

Old 06-06-2011, 03:49 PM

5,648 posts, read 8,058,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
I might show some respect if he did. The parents here have said over and over that we don't care if these "CF" posters ever have kids or not. They return the favor by telling US that WE don't get it. Give me a break.

I wonder what kind of reception they thought they'd get in a PARENTING forum?
The thread was actually posted in the relationship section, but was moved here for unknown reasons.

And the people who are now parents were formerly childless, not childfree.

I'll respect these people when they stop being ageist.

Old 06-06-2011, 03:50 PM

5,648 posts, read 8,058,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
Elucidate on the difference, please.
Childfree is when someone chooses not to breed ever in their life. They're happy and confident in their decision, no matter what age.

Childless is someone who doesn't have an offspring but wants them later on, or they're undecided. Maybe they're unable to have them.

Old 06-06-2011, 03:54 PM

Quote:
The thread was actually posted in the relationship section, but was moved here for unknown reasons.

And the people who are now parents were formerly childless, not childfree.

I'll respect these people when they stop being ageist.
Come back in 15 years and let us know if you still choose to be "child free" or if you are only formerly "childless" like us. It isn't a lack of respect due to your age. It is your attitude in combination with your age. Many posters have kindly tried to point out that things can change, and it is awfully early in life to make a permanent decision. Some of them have personal experience being your age or older, not ever wanting kids, then changing their minds. You told us "we don't get it." I assure you, we do get it.

Old 06-06-2011, 03:56 PM

6,041 posts, read 11,473,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Book Lover 21 View Post

But for every Led Zeppelin fan (Led Zeppelin is awesome btw), there is a FORMER New Kids on the Block fan.

Did you promise someone you wouldn't change your mind? It sounds like he are determined that you will never change your mind to prove something to someone.

What if you meet a woman that is very financial comfortable? What if you fall desperately in love with her and she wants kids?

I'm not trying to tell you that you will definitely change your mind. You probably won't. I just think you should have an open mind.

One other thing, before I became a mother, I didn't like kids. My pregnancy was unexpected to say the least. But how you feel about OTHER people's kids is not an all an indication of how you will feel about your own kids. I used to look at other people's children and think "Yuck! They are loud and dirty and annoying!!" But when I held my own child for the first time, it was like night and day. I fell hopelessly in love.
Did I promise someone I would never change my mind? Not quite. I've told people I'm not having kids when the subject came up. But I wasn't trying to prove anything to them. I was just being honest.

I'm never getting married. But even if I met a rich woman, finances are just one reason I don't want kids.

As for unexpected pregnancies...I realize unexpected pregnancies happen. That's why I stay celibate, because I don't want to be put in that position.

I'm glad you think I probably won't change my mind.

Old 06-06-2011, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by city_data91 View Post
Did I promise someone I would never change my mind? Not quite. I've told people I'm not having kids when the subject came up. But I wasn't trying to prove anything to them. I was just being honest.

I'm never getting married. But even if I met a rich woman, finances are just one reason I don't want kids.

As for unexpected pregnancies...I realize unexpected pregnancies happen. That's why I stay celibate, because I don't want to be put in that position.

I'm glad you think I probably won't change my mind.
never say never. I meant to ask you earlier, why don't you think you'll ever have enough money to be a parent? Is it just an excuse, or is there a real reason?

Old 06-06-2011, 03:59 PM

3,393 posts, read 4,012,063 times
Childless always sounded to me like someone who really wanted children, but due to medical issues, was not able to. I don't know if that is accurate, but to me, that is what the word "childless" brings to mind.

When I picture "child free", I imagine someone happily enjoying season tickets to the SF Giants because they have the money and the free time (no, I'm not jealous AT ALL ).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting