Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-08-2011, 02:57 PM

6,041 posts, read 11,500,542 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeavingMassachusetts View Post
Okay. Do you know how many friends I have that I tried to talk out of tattoos when they were 18? Do you know how many wish they had listened to me? They all knew that the rockin Tasmanian Devil they put on their arm was going to be totally awesome their whole life!!!

Teenagers = Dunderheads. Age = Wisdom.
I actually don't want a tattoo. I think about the future and realize that eventually, the tattoo won't be cool anymore. And it sounds like you thought the same way as me when you were a teen (if you tried to talk people out of getting tattoos).

Just proof that some teens are wise

Old 06-08-2011, 02:57 PM

124 posts, read 246,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by West of Encino View Post
I'm wondering how things would turn out if your parents remained CF. One less of the opposite a man has to worry about.
Why should anything I say or think worry you?

Old 06-08-2011, 03:00 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,893,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strel View Post
It also denotes an attitude that says less about the subject matter than the poster who wrote it.
The poster (which is me) has the attitude that parents are people who take an active role in the raising of children. Parenting, to me, is a verb, and not a noun. It's what people DO - not what people ARE.

If a woman has a baby, and abuses it, or neglects it, or gives it up for adoption, or tosses it in the trash out back, then the woman is NOT a parent. Just because she gave birth, does not qualify her to be a parent.

However - if a man finds that baby in the trash, takes it home, nurtures it, clothes it, loves it, goes through all the red tape involved to adopt it, raises it, does everything necessary to ensure that the baby grows up into a responsible adult, then that man is a parent - even though his sperm has never touched an egg in his entire life.

There are people who DO give birth - who are top-notch at parenting their children. There are also people who do NOT give birth - who are equally top-notch at parenting children. Men, and women both. Fertile or infertile. With children living in the home, and not living in the home.

You don't have to like it, but it's a fact - parenting is not something that anyone can do, just by having a child, or possessing a child in their home. Parenting is a WHOLE LOT MORE than just that.

Old 06-08-2011, 03:01 PM

1,302 posts, read 1,811,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city_data91 View Post
I actually don't want a tattoo. I think about the future and realize that eventually, the tattoo won't be cool anymore. And it sounds like you thought the same way as me when you were a teen (if you tried to talk people out of getting tattoos).

Just proof that some teens are wise
Totally missed the point. Some things we think as a teenager we realize are pretty stupid as we grow. Lol, I wouldn't call myself a wise teenager in any sense of the word. I just hated tattoos.

Then again, you are convinced that you made it through your sexual peak and will have no problem with any urges the rest of your life.

Old 06-08-2011, 03:02 PM

6,041 posts, read 11,500,542 times
Quote:
Totally missed the point. Some things we think as a teenager we realize are pretty stupid as we grow. Lol, I wouldn't call myself a wise teenager in any sense of the word. I just hated tattoos.

Then again, you are convinced that you made it through your sexual peak and will have no problem with any urges the rest of your life.
One word: masturbation

And the fact that I think about the future when it comes to tattoos is a sign that I think about the future when it comes to other stuff (like not having kids)

Old 06-08-2011, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
The poster (which is me) has the attitude that parents are people who take an active role in the raising of children. Parenting, to me, is a verb, and not a noun. It's what people DO - not what people ARE.

If a woman has a baby, and abuses it, or neglects it, or gives it up for adoption, or tosses it in the trash out back, then the woman is NOT a parent. Just because she gave birth, does not qualify her to be a parent.

However - if a man finds that baby in the trash, takes it home, nurtures it, clothes it, loves it, goes through all the red tape involved to adopt it, raises it, does everything necessary to ensure that the baby grows up into a responsible adult, then that man is a parent - even though his sperm has never touched an egg in his entire life.

There are people who DO give birth - who are top-notch at parenting their children. There are also people who do NOT give birth - who are equally top-notch at parenting children. Men, and women both. Fertile or infertile. With children living in the home, and not living in the home.

You don't have to like it, but it's a fact - parenting is not something that anyone can do, just by having a child, or possessing a child in their home. Parenting is a WHOLE LOT MORE than just that.
I lovingly refer to my birth mother as the vagina I passed through. That is all she is.

Old 06-08-2011, 03:04 PM

124 posts, read 246,457 times
Quote:

And the fact that I think about the future when it comes to tattoos is a sign that I think about the future when it comes to other stuff (like not having kids)
Seriously?! And you think this will be satisfactory for the rest of your life? Good luck with THAT!

Old 06-08-2011, 03:04 PM

7,871 posts, read 10,157,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
Well we can certainly agree that you have an attitude.

Quote:
She is a parent unless and until the law says she's not. She's a BAD parent. No one said anything about how giving birth qualifies one to be a GOOD parent, but it does make you a parent - up until you give up parental rights or have them taken from you.

You are of course free to use whatever definition of "parent" you want, but I'll stick to the only one that counts in the real world.

Quote:
A good one, at that.

Quote:
At parenting skills, as a verb, as you say? Sure.

Quote:
When are you going to realize that you are preaching - obnoxiously - at the choir?

Old 06-08-2011, 03:05 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,893,343 times
Quote:
I lovingly refer to my birth mother as the vagina I passed through. That is all she is.
You can be one of my foster kids. And then I'll be a parent, yet again

Just don't call me mom. You can call me AuntieNonChick!

Old 06-08-2011, 03:06 PM

Quote:

lol. Seriously you are making me laugh. I am just going to assume you have never been close with a woman, nor should you have at your age.

Tattoos, babies, same thing.

Oh hell, I raised my damn teenagers why am I trying to talk sense into another one??? I know how this ends!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting