Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2011, 06:23 AM

4,469 posts, read 7,196,936 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by deevel79 View Post
I'm literally the ONLY person on both sides of my family who is over the age of 25 and doesnt have any children, and quite frankly, i'm very happy about it.

I'm currently 32yrs old and in a commited relationship with a woman who is 8yrs my elder who currently has a 19yr old son and is also not interested in having another child. When my family asks me why I dont want any children, my response is "in my opinion, the cons outweigh the pro's". From a financial standpoint, having a child puts a heavy strain on your finances. Although we both make a pretty good living, I prefer to keep my money and spend it on things that we both enjoy doing. We vacation 3-4 times a year. Eat out a few times a week. If a time comes when we're at home and just want to spontaniously get into the car and take a ride somewhere, we have the privilage of doing so. etc... I very much enjoy the freedom of not being obligated to care for a child. The funny thing is, the family members who are most vocal about my decision to not have children are the ones who are ALWAYS complaining about thier kids and saying how hard it is to raise a child. They criticize me for my decision, yet it also seems as if they envy me at the same time. They constantly say things like "you're going to be a lonely old man with no kids to come visit you".

All in all, i'm content with not having children at the moment, and dont see myself wanting to have any ever.
The only answer you really need to give is that it simply isn't something you're interested in. You don't owe them an explanation any more than they owe you one for having children.

I will say that the "I have such a fascinating life because I have toys instead of kids" argument is as irritating as the "I'm so noble because I want kids instead of toys" one probably is to non-parents. Neither is a better, more fascinating, or more enlightened choice. They're just different ones. My sisters enjoy my kids, my kids enjoy their childless/childfree aunties. I know when I call XXXX I won't be have to chat about diapers or homeschool curricula; they know I'm not prey to office politics. (We jokingly refer to one sister's dogs as my kids' cousins, but everyone in the equation knows it's a joke. They're dogs. My kids don't get heartworm and I don't have to follow them with baggies when we go out; they don't have to deal with trumpet lessons or orthodontia. There's no need for "the talk" at my sister's house, but spaying and neutering my kids is probably a poor idea. Though both my daughter and my sister's dog do have ADHD.)
Variety in family makeup works out for everybody.

Last edited by Aconite; 07-07-2011 at 06:35 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting