Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-28-2011, 06:06 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,563,875 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
UGH. I've been a mom to preschoolers. As a WM, I spent, appx, 1150 days home with a preschooler in the house. I know how much work is involved and it's not much over what I did on work days. It's proprotional.
Who the heck calculates the time spent with their child? That is a very telling post right there. I gauge my parenting by how happy my children are, how they are doing in school, by talking to them, never would I whip out the calculator. Sorry Ivory, your posts smack of guilt. If you enjoy working, then good for you, you don't need to justify it to anyone. But seriously, figure out a way to deal with your guilt, because putting down SAHM's to assauge it is pitiful.

Old 09-28-2011, 06:07 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,733,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojo61397 View Post
No kidding. I actually despise each and every one of my mom's parents. Thy are horrible people with absolutely no morals. My mom has lupus, they think it was a immuno-reaction to shingles. Anyway, one of the dumb butts brings his kid to daycare with strep. Knowing he has strep (the guy's a doctor), and gives my mom strep. She has been sick for 6 weeks now. Who does that? Oh wait the parent who feels the almighty buck is above all else.
Oh jeez totally misread this to think you hated your grandparents. And that you had a very large number of them lol.

Old 09-28-2011, 06:09 PM

3,388 posts, read 3,903,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojo61397 View Post
IKB, ITA with on this...

My mom is an at home daycare provider. She's 62 years old and is retiring in 18 months. She is up at 5:30 AM bringing in kids, and she gets off at 5:00 PM. I grew up in that household, running a daycare is back breaking work. You couldn't pay me ENOUGH to do what she does. She works about 60 hour work weeks. And not only does she tolerate ill-mannered children that my generation produces, but she also tolerates ill-mannered parents, who think because they get up and put a business suit on and go do whatever professional work they do, that they are somehow better than her... So I would not call that a "little bit of extra work."

I used to be an AF officer, I worked 12-14 hour days most days. I will tell you that nothing is more exhausting than looking after my two kids all day, every day. My job defending my country does not compare to my job raising my two kids.
Can't rep you again, so +1. Great points re: your mom's work.

Firstly, thank you for your service.

Secondly, I completely agree with you. Before I chose to SAH with my son (and soon to be daughter) I was a therapist for the chronically suicidal, regularly putting in 12-14 hour days and on-call by phone 24/7. I often say that having a full caseload of high-risk clients was not as exhausting as my current role.

Last edited by eastwesteastagain; 09-28-2011 at 06:22 PM..

Old 09-28-2011, 06:13 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,061,041 times
Quote:
Me too. Day cares are professionally run. They have child develpment experts on staff and there is safety in numbers. My dd was never alone with her dcp . There was always another worker in the room and there were plenty of kids her age. I didn't go to in home care until dd#1 was old enough to talk and then I picked the dcp she wanted to take home with us .
For some reason, this is reminding me of the mommy in the robot daycare commercial!

Robot Daycare - Easier Way to Save GEICO - YouTube

Old 09-28-2011, 06:19 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,176,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
Not all teachers keep those hours. I teach I rarely get home before 5 and always get to school by 7 most days. Summer vacay is also not vacation time for many teachers. Most go to other jobs.
My parents were teachers. I totally get the extra work that comes home, etc. I wouldn't say "most" teachers have other jobs in the summer. I'd say "a few", or "some". They still get the same days off as their kids, and often times can get home by 5:00, when other people are getting off at 5:00 and sometimes driving a half hour or more. I'm not saying it is an easy job, but it is more parent-friendly than many other jobs.

Old 09-28-2011, 06:21 PM

572 posts, read 1,299,466 times
Quote:
Oh jeez totally misread this to think you hated your grandparents. And that you had a very large number of them lol.
Sorry should have said daycare clients.

Old 09-28-2011, 06:41 PM

1,016 posts, read 4,542,960 times
What am I taking away from this thread? I really hope my kids never get Ivory for their teacher.

Old 09-28-2011, 06:42 PM

85 posts, read 110,797 times
I would say the pissing match between WM and SAHMs gets so old. I have done both, and I like staying at home so much better and it's fortunate that I get to do that. However, I hate the housework and am not all that great at it...I would hire a full time housekeeper if I could. There is no magic that says whoever cleans the most is the best mom.

My mom worked my whole life. And it really influenced me in my decision to stay home, simply because she talked a lot as I got older how she wished she could've stayed home when we were little. She was a professional woman in a mostly man's field that was cutting edge back when she was in it - computers in the 70s/80s - she even made more than my dad.

I have a college degree and of course worked before I got married...and when we were getting married, we decided I would stay home with the kids if at all possible. I don't think it ever entered my husband's mind that I wasn't going to be pulling my weight or being an equal partner or whatever. And fwiw, I asked my daughters, who are 12 and 10 what they wanted to be when they grow up and they both picked professions...neither said "SAHM". I think if your daughters have any imaginations whatsoever, they can see that women have choices. Some are SAHMs, some are WMs...it's all good.

Old 09-28-2011, 07:57 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,546,439 times
Quote:
Not all teachers keep those hours. I teach I rarely get home before 5 and always get to school by 7 most days. Summer vacay is also not vacation time for many teachers. Most go to other jobs.

It's 9:55 PM and I just got home from school.... Tomorrow is my early day. I get to leave at 4:00. Friday I'll be there until after the football game and Saturday I'll be in my room for about six hours mixing the last of the chemicals for the lab we're doing next week....and then I have to catch up on all the grading that has gone by the wayside as I prep for this lab. Thank goodness I only do two labs like this a year.

You are right. Not all teachers keep those hours. I've never kept them.

Old 09-28-2011, 08:00 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,733,278 times
Quote:
It's 9:55 PM and I just got home from school.... Tomorrow is my early day. I get to leave at 4:00. Friday I'll be there until after the football game and Saturday I'll be in my room for about six hours mixing the last of the chemicals for the lab we're doing next week....and then I have to catch up on all the grading that has gone by the wayside as I prep for this lab. Thank goodness I only do two labs like this a year.

You are right. Not all teachers keep those hours. I've never kept them.

What lab are you doing that it takes 6 hours to mix the solutions?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting