Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2009, 07:59 PM

6 posts, read 14,471 times

Advertisements

I am recently married and have a 9 month old son. I stay at home to take care of him and my husband sells software when he can, and goes to law school. His company has not been selling software for several months now, and we mostly live off his savings so basically school is his only responsibility right now.

My question is: Is it wrong for me to expect him to take care of his son a few hours out the week and some weekends? He has given me no help AT ALL. I'm not asking for much. Just an hour or two for myself. We moved away from any family and I have absolutely no help. He expects me to be June Cleaver and believes the woman should take care of the kids. I also have an older son to take care of as well.

I'm so exhausted. I'm mostly writing this for emotional support. If anyone has been in the same situation. I take care of the baby 24/7, and clean up after 4 people. Before I had my second son I worked in the government for 8 years full-time. Now I just stay at home and he feels since he pays bills that is enough. Sometimes I feel that if I worked, at least I would get a break from the baby. But if I worked, what do I need him for?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2009, 08:06 PM

5,273 posts, read 14,548,343 times
Time to have a heart to heart discussion with 'dad'.

Old 12-17-2009, 08:15 PM

14,076 posts, read 20,535,499 times
It sounds to me like you have issues which go far beyond taking care of children.

Old 12-17-2009, 08:21 PM

18,401 posts, read 19,027,378 times
dads do not babysit their own children, they take care of them as does the mom. you are not asking a lot and your hubby is wrong not to watch the kids for a few hours so you can decompress.

Old 12-18-2009, 07:21 AM

36,539 posts, read 30,879,493 times
[quote]I'm so exhausted. I'm mostly writing this for emotional support. If anyone has been in the same situation. I take care of the baby 24/7, and clean up after 4 people. Before I had my second son I worked in the government for 8 years full-time. Now I just stay at home and he feels since he pays bills that is enough. Sometimes I feel that if I worked, at least I would get a break from the baby. But if I worked, what do I need him for?[/QUOTE]

Exactly!
If your situations were reversed (you brought home the bacon and he stayed home) would it be the same deal? I doubt it. If you cant get him to help, I suggest you go back to work. It that is not possible, at least check your local community listings and see if there is a "mommys day out" service.

Old 12-18-2009, 07:25 AM

6,749 posts, read 22,088,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacsm1430 View Post
I am recently married and have a 9 month old son. I stay at home to take care of him and my husband sells software when he can, and goes to law school. His company has not been selling software for several months now, and we mostly live off his savings so basically school is his only responsibility right now.

My question is: Is it wrong for me to expect him to take care of his son a few hours out the week and some weekends? He has given me no help AT ALL. I'm not asking for much. Just an hour or two for myself. We moved away from any family and I have absolutely no help. He expects me to be June Cleaver and believes the woman should take care of the kids. I also have an older son to take care of as well.

I'm so exhausted. I'm mostly writing this for emotional support. If anyone has been in the same situation. I take care of the baby 24/7, and clean up after 4 people. Before I had my second son I worked in the government for 8 years full-time. Now I just stay at home and he feels since he pays bills that is enough. Sometimes I feel that if I worked, at least I would get a break from the baby. But if I worked, what do I need him for?
NO it isn't wrong. You need a break. It is his child too. If nothing else pay for a babysitter and just get away for a while. I bet he expects you to entertain him sexually too

Old 12-18-2009, 07:29 AM

3,762 posts, read 5,425,894 times
Quote:

Just go back to work and put your kids in daycare. And what do you mean by if you worked, what do you need him for? That sounds awful. Is he just worth a paycheck to you?

Edit: And you are working in the home. He is going to school. Why can't you just suffer this while he gets his education so that he can better provide for his entire family? It's called making a sacrifice.

Old 12-18-2009, 07:33 AM

6,749 posts, read 22,088,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trishguard View Post
Just go back to work and put your kids in daycare. And what do you mean by if you worked, what do you need him for? That sounds awful. Is he just worth a paycheck to you?

Edit: And you are working in the home. He is going to school. Why can't you just suffer this while he gets his education so that he can better provide for his entire family? It's called making a sacrifice.
That is not fair. He helped make this baby he should help in raising it.

Old 12-18-2009, 07:34 AM

7,454 posts, read 13,430,089 times
Quote:

lol sorry but that says alot about what you think about him and your relationship

Old 12-18-2009, 07:35 AM

3,762 posts, read 5,425,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missymomof3 View Post
That is not fair. He helped make this baby he should help in raising it.
But it's fair that she expects him to be the breadwinner, help with the kids because by God she won't need his sorry ass if she has to go to work outside the home?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting