Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2011, 02:12 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,284,780 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cav Scout wife View Post
The same as a drug addict?! My BIL is a lying, theiving, back stabbing, worthless drug addict; that has proven time and time again, he cares for the drugs more than his friends (all of them left him due to this "habit"), more than his family, more than a job, more than anything. He NEEDS jail time for his crimes. He has stolen and forged over 20K worth of checks from his elderly grandparents, stole 30K from his Mom off her cc's, stolen money from us, not to mention medication from everyone INCLUDING my DD's ADHD meds. He's not someone to molly-coddle; he's a CRIMINAL, and needs to do his time.

*SORRY, got off track on a very sticky situation around this household!

This is flat out ABUSE. And IMO child abuse is just as bad as rape and worse than murder. Removing a child from a highly abusive situation is NOT punishing them, it's HELPING them; how can you not see that?

How is it doing ANYONE any good to have a 4yr old at over 100lbs, or a 14yr old at 550+lbs?!

A quote from the CDC: "In the United States, the (CDC) defines child maltreatment as any act or series of acts of commission or omission by a parent or other caregiver that results in harm, potential for harm, or threat of harm to a child." How is morbid obesity NOT child abuse?

Child neglect - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Psychological abuse - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Is Childhood Obesity a Crime? State of South Carolina thinks so | Mama's Health Blog
Wow! it appears I've opened a can of worms....sorry about your BIL...I also have a brother suffering from alcoholism...my actual words were "ALMOST like a drug addict or an alcoholic``...my family has and does take the necessary precautions to protect ourselves from his deceitful ways, so that we can't be used and taken advantage of...and become bitter because of it........as for removing these children from the only home they've known...THAT to me (in these situations) IS child abuse....you may feel it's not punishing them.... rather helping them....but I doubt ANY child would not experience some profound sense of anger, anguish,fear,and abject terror....how can you say that is in their best interest??As for what the very corrupt CDC has to say...I`m not interested AT ALL.....I also believe that if we are going to PUNISH these vulnerable children by creating huge up-heavel in their lives...we should start with the many obese adults.....and we all know that`s not right, and it`ll never happen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2011, 02:12 PM

50,378 posts, read 63,993,273 times
These fat kids just were born unlucky in the parent lottery. Other kids have parents who are alcoholics, druge addicts, or parents who up and die on them. There are plenty of unfortunate scenarios, but we can't find enough good foster parents for the kids who need them now, let alone adding every kid who's parents aren't the Cleavers.

Old 08-10-2011, 08:16 PM

88,586 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lithium View Post

If they look like this, and the parent won't take action, then it should atleast be considered. The kids health is in serious danger, and if their was a parent out there letting their kids eat like, rubbing alcohol, or something, then they'd get their kids taken away, because that's harmful. Its the same concept, once the kid gets to the point in that picture.

Oh, and I don't mean to get all political, but I heard Sean Hannity say that if the Government wants to do something, then educate kids on nutrition...

...yeah, isn't that the thing you and the rest of your Conservative friends have been bitching about? You know...the whole "MICHELLES OBAMA IZ TRYIN TO TELL US WHAT WE CAN EAT" nonsense?
If I saw that kid in a restaurant I'm afraid I'd have a hard time resisting going over and squeezing those fat little arms.

At least no one will ever kidnap him for ransom. The cost of feeding him would cut too deep into the kidnapper's take.

Old 08-13-2011, 04:00 PM

8,003 posts, read 11,725,989 times
Wow...although I agree that it is a huge problem, that's just one more of those, "Hand the reins over to the government". Do you REALLY think the government is doing a fabulous job "handling" things as it is? Why not just put those kids on some "government approved" diet drug instead? Appetite suppressants/fat blockers/carb blockers, etc., then when a crapload of those kids end up with heart/liver/kidney issues, the government (taxpayers) can foot the bill for their medical care and/or lifelong disability. Meanwhile, their families can come back on the goverment and collect THEIR retirement for the situation as well.

Yeah....that's a fabulous idea. Fine these parents and take their kids away. I mean, SOMEone's going to screw up their health, it might as well be the government, right. It would be a heck of a lot cheaper to send the entire family to "fat camp", to teach them how to eat. I'm sorry, it just makes me crazy when people get all high and mighty and start interfering in other people's lives. It's awful when kids (and adults) get that heavy, however, it's also their RIGHT to do so! My gosh, where do you draw the line!?

Old 08-15-2011, 03:32 PM

4 posts, read 4,817 times
It would be better to enforce a diet and reeducation of parents but I'm sure that costs money. It is abuse of the child in most cases and should be treated as such.

Old 08-15-2011, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave_new_girl View Post
It would be better to enforce a diet and reeducation of parents but I'm sure that costs money. It is abuse of the child in most cases and should be treated as such.
You also have to take into consideration the cost of "healthier" foods. If we're going to allow the governement to step in and dictate that parents need to feed their children healthier diets, then the cost of the healthier foods needs to be made more affordable. Carbohydrates, in the form of potatoes, rice, pasta, breads, are more affordable. Fattier meats....more affordable. The cost of lean cuts of meat, fresh fruits and fresh vegetables has become prohibitive.

Families who have both parents working have a tendency to purchase a lot of high fat, high calorie take out foods. Perhaps the government should cut their spending, so that these 2 person-working households can go down to 1 person working, so that one person can stay at home to prepare healthier meals. Perhaps some of these worthless politicians should instead be hired, at minimum wage, to not only police the households with obese children and/or work in large commercial kitchens in each town, so that they can deliver healthy meals to the single working parent households. I mean, since we're dreaming, why not dream big!?

Old 08-16-2011, 12:43 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,176,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmel View Post
You also have to take into consideration the cost of "healthier" foods. If we're going to allow the governement to step in and dictate that parents need to feed their children healthier diets, then the cost of the healthier foods needs to be made more affordable. Carbohydrates, in the form of potatoes, rice, pasta, breads, are more affordable. Fattier meats....more affordable. The cost of lean cuts of meat, fresh fruits and fresh vegetables has become prohibitive.
... not only the cost of the food but the availability of healthier food too. In the poorest neighborhoods, there often isn't a real grocery store, and often they don't have a car. their only real choice for food shopping is a convenience store. If they get food from a charity it is going to be canned or boxed. Unfortunately fruits and veggies aren't always readily available.

and look what happened when Michelle Obama started her campaign to educate people about eating right. It was blown way out of proportion and made to look like the big bad govt was trying to take over your kitchen but that's a different topic.

Old 08-16-2011, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
... not only the cost of the food but the availability of healthier food too. In the poorest neighborhoods, there often isn't a real grocery store, and often they don't have a car. their only real choice for food shopping is a convenience store. If they get food from a charity it is going to be canned or boxed. Unfortunately fruits and veggies aren't always readily available.

and look what happened when Michelle Obama started her campaign to educate people about eating right. It was blown way out of proportion and made to look like the big bad govt was trying to take over your kitchen but that's a different topic.
All excellent points, for sure! Something that I've noticed with so many people though, is they're quick to point a finger and think they have a quick fix to a problem, (everything's in black & white) because they lack the ability to see the many shades of gray in these issues!

They are blind to the roadblocks that a great number of these families face. Oh if were only as easy as saying, "You just need to eat healthier and get more exercise". Well yeah, for most people, that would certainly do the trick, IF it were that simple!

Hey, putting padlocks on cupboards and refrigerators would probably help some families, although that's kind of like abuse too, isn't it?

Old 08-16-2011, 01:28 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,176,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmel View Post
All excellent points, for sure! Something that I've noticed with so many people though, is they're quick to point a finger and think they have a quick fix to a problem, (everything's in black & white) because they lack the ability to see the many shades of gray in these issues!

They are blind to the roadblocks that a great number of these families face. Oh if were only as easy as saying, "You just need to eat healthier and get more exercise". Well yeah, for most people, that would certainly do the trick, IF it were that simple!

Hey, putting padlocks on cupboards and refrigerators would probably help some families, although that's kind of like abuse too, isn't it?
this is my issue with many posts on many threads in this forum! There are just too many variables for a one-size-fits-all answer for any parenting problem.

Old 05-15-2015, 03:48 AM

1,608 posts, read 1,485,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimimomx3 View Post
Like starvation, overfeeding or poorly feeding a child, is child abuse.
It isn't food that's the causative factor. I specialize in Environmental Medicine - specifically molecular biochemistry.

Understanding the role of phthalates (plastics) and pesticides in obesity. https://scholar.google.ca/scholar?q=...ed=0CBoQgQMwAA

I strongly suggest the book Detoxify or Die by Sherry A. Rogers MD, ND - it's available from Amazon.

Mahrie.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting